Switch to Forum Live View repetitive theme dreams
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 7:55PM #1
Tesserae

I am an intuitive person who understands symbolism and meaning in most cases. (I'm an INFJ) ... I realise that my dreams are meaningful and symbolic, and I have thought of many interpretations on my own. But I would love some feedback, if anyone has any. Even if just to confirm I'm on the right track.

Some basic background: I am a sexual abuse survivor with a dissociative disorder, ptsd, and decades of therapy. Lately I have been coming closer to "healthy" than I have ever been. About a year ago, I finished several years of ECT treatments. (i had 82, altogether)

OK, so about 6 months ago, I started having dreams of houses. Not always the same house, but sometimes. In each dream, different things would happen, but I would always try to run away and find secret rooms/stairs/hallways, etc.  I was surprised every time I discovered a new room (or area). I never, even after all these dreams, expected (in my dream) to find anything else.

A few weeks ago, water was added into the dreams. The house would be on the ocean... one time I fell from the tower of the house into an ocean full of dead people. Or we would be in one room with the waves crashing against the window, or a storm approaching, and we would discover a new room and be safe.

I love water. I love to swim.

But the water in these dreams often feels like part of the threat. Sometimes it catches me (like when I fell). Either way, the water has added itself on to the theme of finding new rooms and new parts of my houses.

I have some ideas on interpretations, but wondered if anyone wanted to suggest anything else.

thanks.

tesserae

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2010 - 3:56AM #2
Shamanmystic

Greetings Tesserae....

I would like for you to perform the following exercize in exploring the meanings of the symbols.

House
Water
Ocean

Consider this.. Pull out a sheet of paper and write what a house is.. Try to explain it as if you were explaining to an extraterrestrial / alien visitor.. ie if u had to sit down and explain to this alien and get it to understand what a house is then how would u explain it? u can use only the written word and no pictures or drawings..

Do the same for ocean and water.. I'll check back in a few days...

By the way u might have to perform this exercize over a few days to really get at the many meanings of the symbols ie physical, emotional, intellectual, spirtual, and the greater one.

By the way i'm an INTP :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2010 - 4:12PM #3
Tesserae

thanks... great idea!! I'll let you know how it goes...

nice to meet you, btw.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 3:17PM #4
Marcion

I put no stock in interpreting dreams. I just consider them as the mind having some fun with itself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 4:33PM #5
Tesserae

shamanmystic- this was surprisingly much more difficult than I thought it would be.

Since my last posting I have continued to have the house dreams - never the same house. The other elements are also there and in each dream I have struggled to find safety.

I don't have answers for those 3 things ... I am a writer, and usually things come quite easily. But this feels unanswerable. perhaps that is what the dreams are for, a calling to somehow make sense of them.

thank you again for your help.

tess

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2010 - 2:05AM #6
momhobbit

Tess,

The many houses and new rooms often symbolize parts of yourself that you are discovering.  The fact that you feel an unnamed threat, or that it is water makes sense.  It is scary to discover new things about ourselves, and the water may make you feel trapped in a sense. 

As a victim, you had to hide.  Now you are discovering that you have strength that you didn't know you possessed.  But finding inner strength is still scary. 

You will have setbacks, but don't lose hope.  True recovery can take a lifetime.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2011 - 4:13PM #7
Shamanmystic

Sep 27, 2010 -- 4:33PM, Tesserae wrote:

shamanmystic- this was surprisingly much more difficult than I thought it would be.

Since my last posting I have continued to have the house dreams - never the same house. The other elements are also there and in each dream I have struggled to find safety. 

A poster below mentioned that the house generally represents parts of ourselves and I agree with this but there is more to it than that. See it can represent 5 parts. Our physical self ie our physical health.. A decrepit house might mean health issues.. A well maintained house = well functioning physical body etc... The house can also represent our emotional, intellectual, and spiritual wellbeing as well. 

The house changes dependent upon all of those attributes plus another 5th element not discussed.  I will post the metaphysical aspects on a future link.

Note that u state u are struggling to find safety in the dream. Are u doing this in waking life?

Most importantly a REPETITIVE DREAM generally means there's an issue u need to deal with that is very important and you may be ignoring it consciously. It'll eventually go away on it's own but you'll more than likely suffer if you can't relate the dream to your current conscious waking life. I would start with the feelings in the dream. Are there issues in waking life that bring up the same feelings and to the same degree.  It could be people, places, things, etc.. Basically the basic psychological premise is that a part of you is trying to communicate with your conscious self about something in your life that just isn't right. If you can study your waking life and compare it your repetitive dream you may find the answer. You'll know when you find it as you get that ah ha experience and it'll feel correct for u.

Another thing u might be aware of is that we generally act or react in the dream as we do in waking life. I notice u get scared and run and try to hide in the dream. Do u have this issue in waking life? We've all done it at sometime in our lives but running rarely if ever solves the problem. We get better at solving problems via practice. Sometimes we fail. Sometimes not. The important thing to learn is that what ever one tries to make a mental note of what works and what doesn't. Avoid repeating the errors of the past. Do something different. I like to use the opposite approach. For instance if i realize i talk very little in conversations i'll reverse that and talk more. If i normally run i'll stay and stand my ground etc. Whatever you normally do then do the opposite. Hope this makes sense.

Sorry it took me so long to post back as I've been travelling alot the past few months.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook