Switch to Forum Live View Spiritual void needing to be filled
4 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2010 - 8:02PM #1
Smeraldo1327

I have been searching for a religious/spiritual community and can't seem to find one.

I was raised a Catholic and attended Catholic schools my entire life (K-12).  I don't feel a connection to the Church anymore but I still say my Hail Mary's and such because they are the only prayers I know.  I feel like a joke when I make the sign of the cross before I pray but it's all I know.  

I've read up on many faiths; Islam, Sikh, Gnostic, Judaism, Zoroastrianism...and I think they are all beautiful faiths but they never caught my attention long enough.  Well Zoroastrianism was the only one that really "spoke" to me but they do not except converts so I stopped researching about that faith when I found out.

I really feel like I have a spiritual void and would like to be apart of a spiritual community again.

Any suggestions on books or even other faiths for me to explore?  Advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows any other prayers I can try out please let me know.

Thanks so much in advanced! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 1:32PM #2
Green.is.my.favorite.color

Hiya Smeraldo

I agree with you that faith in community can be very important. Especially when it comes to those inevitable nagging questions involving the who, what, where, why of Divine Intent.

In my journey, I began questioning religious orthodoxy in the face of "That Which is Infinite."

In light of that, Sufism caught my attention. The Sufi Order, in particular. Pir Viliyat Inayat Khan (son of the Order's founder) has written some magnificent books. I've read "Toward the One" and am now reading "Awakening: A Sufi Experience."

The Sufi Order has a large community, indeed. If you want to look at their website:

www.sufiorder.org/qa.html

Would love to know what you think. In any case, the books are a worthwhile read.

BTW - I'm not a member of the Sufi Order, though, by technical definition, I am Sufi.

Best on your path!

Karl

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2010 - 11:01AM #3
Smeraldo1327

Thanks Karl! I'll look into the books and website. 

Green is my favorite color too! smeraldo = emerald 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 7:29AM #4
in_my_opinion

Dear Smeraldo1327,

Check out the Bahá'í Faith.

The moderator (World Citizen) and most of the Bahá'ís who post there regularly, were Catholics.

We definitely accept new believers. Part of our duty is to teach the Faith.

At present most of us are the first people in our familiies to become members.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2010 - 3:12PM #5
prayerwriter

Heyla,

I, too, am a "fallen way" Catholic (I cannot way "former',  yet).  I highly recommend 2 books, both by Micahael Morwood:

Tomorrow's Catholic and Praying a New Story.

I would highly recommend these two books to anybody - Catholic or not, Christian or not, especially "Praying a New Story".  It has some incredibly beautiful prayers, reflections, and insights. 

I wish you success on your spiritual journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook