Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View What's Wrong with the 11th Commandment?
6 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 7:18PM #21
REteach

There is at least some evidence that spirituality is genetic, and that there is a certain survival value associated with it. 

Religion is a different animal. 

I am guessing now, but I would guess that religion is a way to harness spirituality and give humans in a community a common spiritual language.  I would also guess that like so many things we do, the means to finding spirituality can become religious ends. 

I agree that religion is neither necessary nor sufficient to make someone a good person.  Religion clearly can be, and has been, associated with much evil.  However, there is also research that shows that religion can be good for individuals as well.

Actually, I see some strong analogies to guns.  Guns themselves do not harm people, people use them to harm people.  Yet they can also be merely tools, or the source of amusement such are target shooting.  Or provide legitimate protection.

There are people, some of whom post here, who wield religion like a baseball bat.  It is no wonder it gets a bad name.  I think that is sad, but it is probably the nature of people.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 11:35PM #22
jonny42

May 11, 2010 -- 7:18PM, REteach wrote:

There are people, some of whom post here, who wield religion like a baseball bat.  It is no wonder it gets a bad name.  I think that is sad, but it is probably the nature of people.

That's a healthy swing you've got there.  Welcome to the club(house)!

We all sin and fall short of the glory of God.  We all give God a bad name.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 11:44PM #23
simonzur

May 11, 2010 -- 11:35PM, jonny42 wrote:

That's a healthy swing you've got there.  Welcome to the club(house)!

RT, are you jealous that God likes to see me swing for the seats?  He enjoys seeing me defend the plate against the pitches of the Black Sox.

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 12:46AM #24
simonzur

Welcome to the Club (house)...  I just got that one.  LOL Laughing  I count a "triple" entendre there Jonny and I think this singel just drove you in. 

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 1:24AM #25
Hoppy393

Actually, I see some strong analogies to guns.  Guns themselves do not harm people, people use them to harm people.  Yet they can also be merely tools, or the source of amusement such are target shooting.  Or provide legitimate protection.

...maybe a sword?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 1:32AM #26
jonny42

May 12, 2010 -- 12:46AM, simonzur wrote:

Welcome to the Club (house)...  I just got that one.  LOL   I count a "triple" entendre there Jonny and I think this singel just drove you in. 

... ahhh, only Jesus can bring us home...Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 7:05PM #27
Cryano

"To answer your question: not one person has knocked on my door and said those things.  Are you taking the behaviour of a few people in a religion and assuming that everybody in that religion behaves exactly as those few do?"

You lead a sheltered life.

But even so every law they pass effects YOU. So while you may not have met any of the godly ones face-to-face they intend to - and have - succeeded in forcing you to abide by some of the tenets of their "faith."

And as some on this site have reminded us - they have BIG plans for more of the same.

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook