Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View What's Wrong with the 11th Commandment?
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 4:25PM #21
Kodiacman

Cryano,

Faith is a part of society and it is the fabric that enables trust to be built, hopes and dreams to be followed. It is an itegral part of all our lives. I have a hope that transitions into faith that my daughter will live a good life based upon the values that I have given her. If I had not hopes or faith I would be a petty monsterous control freak that demanded to know everything about her as I had no trust or no faith in her. I admit that these are examples of faith that are from a non-religious setting but I use them anyway as they are evidence that faith is a part of everyday life here on the planet.

Jonathan Haidt has an excellent article on the benefits of religion in society. I see religion as being a vehicle that is an extention of the faith we have in everyday life. Religion gives a society a sense of purpose and community. It does not create altrusim but it strengthens it. Faith does not make me moral, but rather it strengthens my morality that already is. Jesus hung out with the sinners of his day, they ridiculed Him as being a lawbreaker, a drunkard, and a sinner Himself. What I find absolutely amazing about Jesus is that most of the sinners like Jesus more than the religious dudes of the day did!! IOW Jesus went to the people who were in need and helped them. True faith is like that...it is embodied in the Mother Theresa's and the Nelson Mandela's who were interested in making the world a better place rather than creating converts.

I see faith like that..It is an expression of a hope and a desire for what is good in life. It gives my soul or my heart or whatever the heck you want to call it a voice. I begin to be at peace with my soul as I am acting out the very desires that were always inside of me. Faith to me is mystical but it is also very real and tangible. what good is a warm fuzzy feeling if I am not a better person after I feel it? I just as well fire up a bong or hit the bottle or pop a pill or get laid who really cares at that point? because they will do the same thing...provide a means of escape. Why not strive for greatness and have the warm fuzzy feeling and also be nice to people with none of the guilt or cost?!?!? That to me is what real religion and real faith is supposed to be like.

I am being a bit preachy here so I apologize for that tone. I do want to fairly represent my faith as you asked what good my faith was. I am passionate about it as you can tell but I do not wish to sales job you via the forbidden 11 Comandment.. I close with a short poem from a favorite American poet regarding what faith was to her. I hope that this is not too "in your face" as I can often be. If I have please bear with me.

Faith -- is the Pierless Bridge
Supporting what We see
Unto the Scene that We do not --
Too slender for the eye

It bears the Soul as bold
As it were rocked in Steel
With Arms of Steel at either side --
It joins -- behind the Veil

To what, could We presume
The Bridge would cease to be
To Our far, vacillating Feet
A first Necessity.

~Emily Dickenson.

blessings mark

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 7:18PM #22
REteach

There is at least some evidence that spirituality is genetic, and that there is a certain survival value associated with it. 

Religion is a different animal. 

I am guessing now, but I would guess that religion is a way to harness spirituality and give humans in a community a common spiritual language.  I would also guess that like so many things we do, the means to finding spirituality can become religious ends. 

I agree that religion is neither necessary nor sufficient to make someone a good person.  Religion clearly can be, and has been, associated with much evil.  However, there is also research that shows that religion can be good for individuals as well.

Actually, I see some strong analogies to guns.  Guns themselves do not harm people, people use them to harm people.  Yet they can also be merely tools, or the source of amusement such are target shooting.  Or provide legitimate protection.

There are people, some of whom post here, who wield religion like a baseball bat.  It is no wonder it gets a bad name.  I think that is sad, but it is probably the nature of people.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 11:35PM #23
jonny42

May 11, 2010 -- 7:18PM, REteach wrote:

There are people, some of whom post here, who wield religion like a baseball bat.  It is no wonder it gets a bad name.  I think that is sad, but it is probably the nature of people.

That's a healthy swing you've got there.  Welcome to the club(house)!

We all sin and fall short of the glory of God.  We all give God a bad name.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 11:44PM #24
simonzur

May 11, 2010 -- 11:35PM, jonny42 wrote:

That's a healthy swing you've got there.  Welcome to the club(house)!

RT, are you jealous that God likes to see me swing for the seats?  He enjoys seeing me defend the plate against the pitches of the Black Sox.

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 12:46AM #25
simonzur

Welcome to the Club (house)...  I just got that one.  LOL Laughing  I count a "triple" entendre there Jonny and I think this singel just drove you in. 

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 1:24AM #26
Hoppy393

Actually, I see some strong analogies to guns.  Guns themselves do not harm people, people use them to harm people.  Yet they can also be merely tools, or the source of amusement such are target shooting.  Or provide legitimate protection.

...maybe a sword?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 1:32AM #27
jonny42

May 12, 2010 -- 12:46AM, simonzur wrote:

Welcome to the Club (house)...  I just got that one.  LOL   I count a "triple" entendre there Jonny and I think this singel just drove you in. 

... ahhh, only Jesus can bring us home...Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 1:46AM #28
Patricklongworth

May 10, 2010 -- 7:33AM, Cryano wrote:

May 10, 2010 -- 12:43AM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 9, 2010 -- 11:50PM, Cryano wrote:

For those who don't know George Carlin first popularized this although it has been around in one form or another for hundreds of years.

"Thou shall keep thy religion to thyself."

The fundgelicals amongst us get very upset and defensive whenever this simple common sense proposal is advanced. But I have NEVER heard a logical explanation of why. I've heard all the theories that start with the assumption that their version of this myth is the Truth ONLY Truth Complete Truth etc. etc, etc. But of course that only makes sense IF you first accept their version. If you don't, if you are a Muslim or a Catholic or a Hindu or (Grasp!) NONE of the above then that rationale simply does not apply so . . .

What EXACTLY is wrong with the 11th and why is not fully compatible with the other 10?

Why don't you follow it yourself, if it such a good idea?

And when was the last time some Hindu or catholic or even god hating atheists knocked on your door to told you were lost and going to burn forever? Or wanted to pass a LAW telling you who you could invite into bedroom or when to open your business?

To answer your question: not one person has knocked on my door and said those things.  Are you taking the behaviour of a few people in a religion and assuming that everybody in that religion behaves exactly as those few do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 7:05PM #29
Cryano

"To answer your question: not one person has knocked on my door and said those things.  Are you taking the behaviour of a few people in a religion and assuming that everybody in that religion behaves exactly as those few do?"

You lead a sheltered life.

But even so every law they pass effects YOU. So while you may not have met any of the godly ones face-to-face they intend to - and have - succeeded in forcing you to abide by some of the tenets of their "faith."

And as some on this site have reminded us - they have BIG plans for more of the same.

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook