Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View meditation's long term effects on the brain
5 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2010 - 5:12PM #1
Intotheblue

PBS's recent series "This Emotional Life" said that scientists have found something really interesting about meditation. The left prefrontal cortex of the brains of people who are experienced meditators was much more active than those of people who were not experienced meditators. That part of the brain is responsible for positive emotions. So meditating is beneficial not only in the time you're meditating, but also long term, if you continue to do it regularly. It can actually make it easier for you to be happy. That was great news for those of us struggling with depression. :)

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 12:24PM #2
Sweetdominique

I am a longtime yoga practitioner and meditator. (I also did some tai qi chuan and qi gong, including the Buddhist qi gong meditation, and Tao yoga). I also meditate with Holosync - a method that may be dismissed by the traditional meditators, but I love mind expanding technology and my mind made a quantum leap.

I can only confirm the scientific finding. Meditation and meditation in movement sets out a healing process. Many years ago, due to some deficiencies in neurotransmitters in my brain, I used to get a bit depressed from time to time. This was anoying. When I started yoga, I realized that things got balanced almost in no time. Holosync added another dimension. I can feel my brain's activity. i do not experience any anxiety or exostential fear. I am serene at all times. This may be a bit embarassing in front of gloomy people, but I can only advise everyone to meditate.

For some people prayer is what consoles them. I believe, however, that only meditation can completely alter the brain chemistry.

Our nutrition affects not only our physical bodies but also our minds and emotions. After choosing raw lifestyle I observed increased clarity of the mind and phenomenal lightness of being.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 2:50PM #3
Intotheblue

Jan 22, 2010 -- 12:24PM, Sweetdominique wrote:

I am a longtime yoga practitioner and meditator. (I also did some tai qi chuan and qi gong, including the Buddhist qi gong meditation, and Tao yoga). I also meditate with Holosync - a method that may be dismissed by the traditional meditators, but I love mind expanding technology and my mind made a quantum leap.

I can only confirm the scientific finding. Meditation and meditation in movement sets out a healing process. Many years ago, due to some deficiencies in neurotransmitters in my brain, I used to get a bit depressed from time to time. This was anoying. When I started yoga, I realized that things got balanced almost in no time. Holosync added another dimension. I can feel my brain's activity. i do not experience any anxiety or exostential fear. I am serene at all times. This may be a bit embarassing in front of gloomy people, but I can only advise everyone to meditate.

For some people prayer is what consoles them. I believe, however, that only meditation can completely alter the brain chemistry.

Yay, a reply! *laugh* Thank you for sharing your response!

Actually prayer activates the same area in the brain that meditation does. There are lots of different kinds of prayer, and lots of different kinds of meditation though. From my personal experience, with myself and observing others, I've noticed we tend to pray when we're stressed, to desperately "ask for" something. I don't think this sort of prayer is mentally or spiritually beneficial. It doesn't connect us with anything - ourselves, God, the universe - in any meaningful way. But if we pray the same way most people meditate - as a way to connect, to enlighten, to experience, to calm, to strengthen... Then prayer can achieve the same things meditation can. That's my opinion, though. When I said it activates the same part of the brain, that was from scientific studies, and I don't know (they probably don't know) what kind of prayer and meditation were being used.

I suffer from emotional problems including depression, and you're right, meditation can be extremely helpful in dealing with that! It most certainly does heal - mind body and spirit. :)

Namaste.

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 3:20AM #4
Sweetdominique

I have no experience with prayer as I do not pray but I can imagine that people can achieve profound states of trance or extasy during a meditative prayers in which they connect with all there is. I did not know, though, that prayer activates the same centers in brain as meditation. I know that compassion releases gamma waves and activates the heart chakra. This finding was made after scientific experiments with meditating Tibetan monks.

P.S.

I find this subject fascinating. It is really strange that no one participated in the discussion yet. I have my own experience with an empty post. OM

Our nutrition affects not only our physical bodies but also our minds and emotions. After choosing raw lifestyle I observed increased clarity of the mind and phenomenal lightness of being.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 11:37AM #5
Intotheblue

They did the same test on Buddhist monks while they meditated, and Catholic nuns while they prayed, and other people doing both, and found the same part of the brain being activated. I'm not trying to argue a point with it - it's just a fact, apparently. *shrug* It surprised me too, when I learned of it.

Yeah, people tend not to respond to me, haha. I have other empty threads too. But I'm glad someone else finds this topic fascinating, besides myself!! :)

Namaste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 12:14PM #6
Sweetdominique

This finding is absolutely fascinating! As I said, I do not have any experience with prayer, but I have a very open mind. It is also very much possible that people in religious communities such as monasteires develop a special connection to one another as well. It is the collective mind, or soul, as others would say, or the morphogenetic field, the matrix, that makes such connection possible...

As far as interest in this forum is concerned, there are people coming by. Just look at the numbers of visitors. For some reason, people feel shy to perticipate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 2:09PM #7
Intotheblue

Oh I don't mean this particular board, I mean most of the boards I post on. :-P

Namaste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 2:43PM #8
Sweetdominique

(I do not want to sound judgmental, but very often people are so preoccupied in their own stuff that they do not pay much attention to what others have to say. This happen on other social networks as well. We could talk about something really meaningful, but people prefer to waste their time womdering if Tiger Woods needs Jesus. How do you expect anyone to take time and participate in an intelligent discussion? Just keep on doing what you are doing. Those who have something to say will definitely show up.) This forum is about meditiation and I should maybe talk about the mindfullness meditaiton instead of complaining. It is quite interesting what happens to the brains and "hearts" of people who "meditate" on current news...

Warm greetings! Dominique

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 4:13PM #9
Intotheblue

hehe very true... thank you

Namaste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2010 - 12:43PM #10
koala972

Jan 23, 2010 -- 2:09PM, Intotheblue wrote:

Oh I don't mean this particular board, I mean most of the boards I post on. :-P

I think you say interesting things and follow you on and off...  that whole thing about facebook I was like I so agree I been through that same sorta stuff, but, what was I going to say that you didn't already say?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook