Switch to Forum Live View effects of spirituality on the rest of your being
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 7:42PM #1
Intotheblue

How do you find that your spirituality affects the rest of your being and your life?

For me, I find it encourages and reminds me to stay balanced, so I do things that are healthier physically, such as eat healthful foods, try to stay active, keep rested, etc. Also it keeps me feeling mentally and emotionally calm and centered. Since I have a tendency to be emotionally reactive, this has been extremely beneficial. I have a heart condition, tachycardia (racing heart, sometimes beating painfully fast and hard) for which one trigger is anxiety, so being able to reduce anxiety also reduces both my emotional and physical pain. It also helps me function better in life, and therefore be more successful when dealing with other people and working on my education and so forth. And since I am able to think more clearly, I am able to help other people. Thus my spirituality is immensely important to all aspects of my life.

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2010 - 7:50PM #2
Intotheblue

Wow, 76 views and zero responses after a month. Nice. Did I post this in the wrong place, or is it just that no one cares? Does seem like a pretty dead board. Everyone viewing, no one talking. What's the point?

Namaste.

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2010 - 8:10PM #3
Just.be.natural

I feel the same way so you intotheblue... My spirituality helps every part of my life. It keeps me focused, motivated, calm (I used to have a temper from hell, and its gotten better recently since I've been focusing on my spiritual life more), healthy, and kind. I'm even more organized now. My husband isn't spiritual at all, and I can see how angry, tense, and miserable he gets sometimes, and I wish he'd try to be more spiritual with me. I think it'd help him immensely.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 7:17PM #4
Intotheblue

Thanks both of you for the interesting responses!

Mmm cookies...

Namaste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 7:23PM #5
Lightseeker1

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT SPIRITUALITY IS IMPORTANT FOR US ALL IT HELPS ME STAY GROUNDED AND I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE ANY OTHER WAY.  WHEN LIFE AND JOB, FAMILY AND EVERYDAY LIVING GETS TO BE TO HECTIC IT PAYS ME DRAW ON MY SPIRITUALITY TO KEEP ME ON THE RIGHT PATH TO CALMNESS AND ORDER IN MY LIFE.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 2:43PM #6
Amaia

For me spirituality is a new way of looking at life in it's entirety.  I started doing spiritual exercises back in November, and I have noticed changes in my diet, my exercise, and in the way I interact with coworkers.  I have a lot more peaceful moments and moments filled with joy and understanding.

Sometimes human nature makes it difficult to be as compassionate or as understanding as I want to be, especially in disagreements or high stress situations.  But I'm plugging along as well as I can.

thanks,

Amaia 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 09, 2010 - 1:07AM #7
Secular-yet-Spiritual

My spirituality has made quite a difference in my life.

About 10 years ago I experienced a very unexpected (and intense) Spiritual Awakening.  I say "unexpected" because I had considered myself an Atheist for over 30 years.  I already had a pretty good life  - wife, family, career, etc. but this experience opened a whole new aspect of existence for me.  I practically lived on BeliefNet for about the next 3 years, discussing with others, trying to figure things out. To make a long story short, I finally did... at least as far as my own life is concerned.

So now my kids are grown and moved out (mostly), and I still have the same wife and career.  But I am definitely a more relaxed, calm, and outgoing person.  I volunteer for and am deeply involved with a non-profit organization that helps shape teens into young leaders.  I find this very rewarding - also something I would not have done before.  I can't remember the last time I got really angry, (it used to happen a lot).  I'm more accepting and tolerant, and I'm not worried at all about dying... when it's "my time", of course!  I know this life is just temporary, and one of many I have experienced.  I don't dwell on it, I just know it to be.  And when the time comes, I will return Home and continue where I left off...

sys

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 11:24AM #8
maryanne Stahl

Jan 2, 2010 -- 7:42PM, Intotheblue wrote:

How do you find that your spirituality affects the rest of your being and your life?

For me, I find it encourages and reminds me to stay balanced, so I do things that are healthier physically, such as eat healthful foods, try to stay active, keep rested, etc. Also it keeps me feeling mentally and emotionally calm and centered. Since I have a tendency to be emotionally reactive, this has been extremely beneficial. I have a heart condition, tachycardia (racing heart, sometimes beating painfully fast and hard) for which one trigger is anxiety, so being able to reduce anxiety also reduces both my emotional and physical pain. It also helps me function better in life, and therefore be more successful when dealing with other people and working on my education and so forth. And since I am able to think more clearly, I am able to help other people. Thus my spirituality is immensely important to all aspects of my life.

hello,

I have begun a journal/blog in COMMUNITY on this topic and would love comments.

Thanks!

Maryanne

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook