Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 9:05AM #1
BeerLover

And what's it good for?

Let's get back to fundamentals here for a moment, and maybe spark a new discussion in the process.  Hopefully it won't become as contentious as the famous "What is a shaman" threads.

The topic was nicely covered in a blog by some French person, found here.  There are quotes from many famous people including one of my heroes, Albert Einstein:

“The only real valuable thing is intuition.”

So how do you define intuition?  How is it useful?  How are intuition and so called psychic abilities related?  I use intuition and cold logic together in my work as a chemist.  Intuition points to the answer, and logic (and the scientific method) prove the answer is right.  One can use the scientific method alone (I call this the scatter gun approach, trying many different ideas quickly), but intuition can get you to the answer a lot quicker.  Intuition is and does many other things for me, but I'd like to hear from the Gallery first.

BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 8:43PM #2
LunaSolaris

I think intuition, broadly, is any internal information (or information that arrives internally from an external Source) that helps us come to a conclusion.  It can be completely disconnected from external information - information we gather from the conventional five senses - or it can be in response to external information.

I sometimes wonder, however, how much of what can be called "intuition" is actually an unconscious or subconscious logical process putting together pieces of external information and existing knowledge that a person may or may not be aware s/he possesses.  For instance, I'm a dabbler in astrology, and can read a natal chart fairly well.  I go with my knowledge of the planets, signs, and house system, as well as "intuition."  But I'm also formally and informally well educated in human nature and behavior.  So I wonder how much of my chart reading is just me putting together this information without really thinking about it, it just comes together in the recesses of my brain and presents itself to my frontal cortex as a finished product.

At the same time, I've done readings for people I've never met over the internet with the same success I've had with reading for people I know well, so that's an argument for pure intuition.

Truly, I think people use a mix of both, and it's very difficult to tease the two apart.  I wouldn't call the un/subconscious processes of the brain intuition, but I know some people would.  Again, to me, intuition is using information - whether you call it a "feeling," or a "hunch," or a "message" - that you don't get from using the five senses, or from prior knowledge.

Ok, my .02 to start off with.  I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Eh, I didn't answer everything, but I'll come back later and do that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2009 - 4:37AM #3
Dreamweever2

BeerLover, I am so glad that you started this thread. I'm having a rough time right now. Things are going on with me and around me that I'm really uncomfortable with. Much of it is stupid stuff that I'm picking up on. In and of itself, that's no big deal. But then there's the stuff that is unnerving, like the dream I recently had where someone close to me let me know that they were getting ready to pass away. The funeral for that person was yesterday. My emotions, and those of the people around me, have been super charged lately, and I think that's adding to it. Yesterday, I repeated three different things to my daughter and son in law that 1) my ex had said, 2) my son had talked about, and 3) my son, daughter, and son in law had done when I was not with them, and didn't consciously know about. My daughter and son in law were taken aback because they knew I was not with any of them when those things were said and done, and that I had no way of "knowing" about them. It's happening too often to be coincidence. This has been going on for well over a month with me again. It was gone for several years after my accident. I don't like it, because it's weirding me out. I'm also throwing off vibes and feelings that others around me are picking up on as well. I keep trying to isolate myself, because when I'm out around others, this stuff keeps happening.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:14AM #4
BeerLover

Ah, two responses.  Good to hear from you Luna and Dreamweever.  Don't worry about not answering all my questions, Luna.  This is a discussion, an exchange of ideas, not a quiz.  I actually think you described intuition pretty well with, "unconscious or subconscious logical process putting together pieces of external information and existing knowledge that a person may or may not be aware s/he possesses."  It's stuff going on below the surface which wells up to the conscious mind fully formed- the flash of insight.  Your subconsious works in ways which are not well understood.

Intuition to me is completely internal.  It's not clairvoyance or seeing into the future.  YOur astrology example is good because we have computer programs which can print out a whole natal chart.  Any astrologer with his or her salt will put the extra touch in though.  That's intuition. 

Dreamweever, sorry to hear about "abilities" causing so much trouble for you.  Did you really dream about your friend's death before it happened?  Sometimes its a blessing to be blissfully unaware of that whole other world.  Your ability definitely seems to be more like empathy and telling the future (what's the word)?  Windwizard shares that ability, you know.  I've found my self in conversations that happened before as well.  It's really strange knowing what the two of you are going to say. but it's only for a short time, and serves no useful purpose. As I said, I think intuition is a wholly internal thing, so recounting conversations you never heard is something else, at least according to my definition.  These things tend to come and go.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, just ride out this current stretch.  Hopefully, things are returning to normal even now. 

Blessings on your journeys,
BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 3:48PM #5
Green.is.my.favorite.color

Heyya BL, Excellent question.

You know, I can't pin it down. I don't know if I'll ever be able to. But, there are some things which I believed are involved in the execution of intuition - at least for me.

I believe that "spiritual condition" is a large part of intuition. By that, I mean, discerning intent of one's own motives, but also discerning the will/intent of the Divine. Often, if I find my intent in concert with the what I perceive as Divine Will, then I'll precede to the intuitive action. If I get a sense of dis-harmony, I'll stop immediately.

I also think there is an aspect of achetype in intuition - some sort of collectively understood feelings or preceptions that became ingrained in us in humanity's pre-history. But, perhaps I'm mistaking a physical pre-history, with a spiritual condition: maybe intuition was seeded into us before we were born into this world.

*s*

Like I said, I don't know if I'll ever be able to pin it down!

Best to you

Karl

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 4:49PM #6
Ethelmary

Hello Fellow Initiative's,

I noticed that some of you are a bit overwhelmed when it comes to feeling your intuition.  Let me explain:  We can pick up energies from people and they are either positive or negative.  We can protect ourselves from getting to far in the mix of other peoples emotions.  I will tell you how I do it.

Every morning I sit up and ground myself by concentrating on the white light and see it surrounding myself.  It took practice but it works.

When you are really upset because of another persons negative feelings or vibes here is something you can do:

Lye down in a room that is as quiet as possible.  Focus only on your breathing.  Take a deep breath in slowly and hold it for two seconds and release the breath out through your nose (not your mouth) as slowly as you can. Then repeat.  After that focus on the great white light coming down and starting from the top of your head and flowing warmly and so full of love all the way down to your feet.

I hope this helpsWink

Ethel    New to beliefnet

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 2:59AM #7
Dreamweever2

Hey BeerLover,

It's on the dream board. I had asked on a thread that I started there "Can living people communicate in dreams?". The dream really unnerved me so I posted it. The evening following the dream he was taken to the hospital after I posted the dream. He was released the day before Thanksgiving and passed away at home the day after Thanksgiving. I don't really know what an empath is. Does it relate to intuition? I mean, I kinda see a separation between the gut feelings and being in tune with others, but I still feel like I'm not totally "getting it".

Ethylmary, thank you for the tip about grounding. I really don't know what I'm doing with all of this. I imagine that's pretty obvious from what I've posted already. I feel somewhat like a pinball bouncing around from one bumper to another many days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 8:38AM #8
BeerLover

Wow, Dreamweever, that's really spooky...

My own opinion is that we are much more susceptible to messages and visits from the spirit world while asleep.  Our conscious mind, and the firmly rooted disbelief within the conscious mind are turned off.  "I mean, come on, there is no such thing as spirits and the spirit world.  That's the stuff of fantasy literature and religeous fanatics.  It really doesn't exist."  That's what we are all taught, and it's a hard lesson to undo.  I think your friend's spirit was able to speak to you.  Invite your spirit guides into your dreams some night before going to bed and see what happens.  Most likely they will come.

An empath is simply one who is very empathetic.  They can pick up on others' emotional state, even through a medium like this.  It can be difficult sometimes in a crowded setting, feeling all the emotions swirling around you.  I am very empathic.  Many people have gotten great comfort simply knowing I know how they feel.  It also helps when reading the cards to tap into somebody's emotional state.  I wouldn't exactly call it intuition though.  It's a related gift.

Windwizard is a big advocate of white light.  she just visualizes, and it appears around her.  It's a really good way to diffuse all the negative crap coming at you.  Welcome to the boads, Ethel, and welcome to B'net.  I hope your stay here is long and rewarding.  I am BeerLover, assistant host and caretaker of the Intuitive Counseling boards until Windwizard gets back. Now she is really gifted, just look through some of the threads and you will see her work.  And she's a really good, caring person besides.  She helped me through a very difficult time, and also helped me develop my own abilities.  This is a good place for all those exploring all that is "out there."

Blessings,
BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 2:55PM #9
BeerLover

And that's exactly the point, Mr. Green, you can't pin it down.  My original question was a trick question with no real answer.  Intuition is one of those aspects of the human experience which is neither matter nor energy.  Although there is an energy component to conscious thought processes, intuition is not conscious thought.  Intuition cannot be measured nor reproduced on a consistent basis.  It defies the scientific process. *smile*

Spirituality, spiritual condition, and intuition are in the same "neighborhood" so to speak.  I've never really thought of the connection between them.  Even if I had, your opinion on their relationship is just as valid as mine no matter how much they differ.

I also hadn't thought about archtypical intuition.  See, on some boards one can disagree and not get into a shouting match.  Here we get into a whole morass of heredity, and how much of your personality is inherited through DNA, and how much is formed through personal exeperience.  I know some people are big fans of Jung and his archetypes.  I am not personally, I think most behaviors are driven by biochemistry, based on the genes we inherit from our parents.  Jung recognizes the inherited part but goes further claiming we inherit a spiritual component as well which goes back many generations.  Perhaps most significantly, he claims we are all connected to a "collective unconscious."  I have no patience for speculating about past lives or ancient archetypes.  This life has all the trouble I can handle.

And I don't know when we become intuitive, either, another good point.  I know of children seem to posess extraordinary esoteric powers.  That is, until they learn such things are impossible.  When in our development do we become self aware?  All good questions.  But now I ramble.

Some work left to do this afternoon.  Good discussion.

BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 8:44PM #10
Wendyness

Dec 9, 2009 -- 2:55PM, BeerLover wrote:

And that's exactly the point, Mr. Green, you can't pin it down.  My original question was a trick question with no real answer.  Intuition is one of those aspects of the human experience which is neither matter nor energy.  Although there is an energy component to conscious thought processes, intuition is not conscious thought.  Intuition cannot be measured nor reproduced on a consistent basis.  It defies the scientific process. *smile*

Spirituality, spiritual condition, and intuition are in the same "neighborhood" so to speak.  I've never really thought of the connection between them.  Even if I had, your opinion on their relationship is just as valid as mine no matter how much they differ.

I also hadn't thought about archtypical intuition.  See, on some boards one can disagree and not get into a shouting match.  Here we get into a whole morass of heredity, and how much of your personality is inherited through DNA, and how much is formed through personal exeperience.  I know some people are big fans of Jung and his archetypes.  I am not personally, I think most behaviors are driven by biochemistry, based on the genes we inherit from our parents.  Jung recognizes the inherited part but goes further claiming we inherit a spiritual component as well which goes back many generations.  Perhaps most significantly, he claims we are all connected to a "collective unconscious."  I have no patience for speculating about past lives or ancient archetypes.  This life has all the trouble I can handle.

And I don't know when we become intuitive, either, another good point.  I know of children seem to posess extraordinary esoteric powers.  That is, until they learn such things are impossible.  When in our development do we become self aware?  All good questions.  But now I ramble.

Some work left to do this afternoon.  Good discussion.

BeerLover

Those ancient archetypes carry much wisdom.  I am not into past lives but ancient archetypes prove very valuable in my use of intuition.  Drawing on certain aspects of the goddess for example can be incredibly helpful for me in defining what I am experiencing.  Drawing on the goddess Kali can be very powerful in the destruction of the negative ego.  

As far as intuition, I experience it as an instinctual feeling of knowing, or sensing.  The more I trust it the powerful it becomes.  All myths, fairy tales, and biblical stories carry archetypes. Don't dismiss them so easily as useless, they are powerful.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook