Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 7:10PM #1
Amarantha

I want to learn prayer. I think it is an art as well as a form of self expression and healing. From what I know of prayer you are supposed to pray to someone or something, but my beliefs are so scattered that I don't know what or who to pray to....how can I learn this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 9:02PM #2
koala972

Oct 27, 2009 -- 7:10PM, Amarantha wrote:

I want to learn prayer. I think it is an art as well as a form of self expression and healing. From what I know of prayer you are supposed to pray to someone or something, but my beliefs are so scattered that I don't know what or who to pray to....how can I learn this?

i too confused to know what is what, but, one thing that comes to mind is that you could start praying to find out who to pray to?  Maybe he/she/it has a sense of humor :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 1:36PM #3
tattwo

Great topic!!! I don't think they are any guidelines for praying. However, I do pray for myself, family, and anyone who is in need of prayer. I do pray for the world too. Just so everybody can have a piece of mine. When I pray for myself, those prayers be somewhat generic because I don't want to sound selfish. I ask God for health, strength, happiness, and peace (of mind). If I'm going through somethings or have some obstacles in my way, I don't ask God to move them for me I ask Him to open up my heart and mind to help me get through whatever it is I'm going through and to give me strength to endure it. Also, direction. WE ALL NEED THAT!!!

So basically prayer is individual.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 2:19PM #4
andrewcyrus

Oct 27, 2009 -- 7:10PM, Amarantha wrote:

My personal prayers are directed to JESUS. There are rote prayers that I pray to comfort and still my mind.

The Our Father really helps gather up my scattered will.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4PQ30VkBk

Another cool prayer is this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4MqMe7Luc

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2009 - 1:25PM #5
Delta74

For some a prayer is a formality/a written script. For others is like a conversation with an old friend. Listen to your heart, it will lead you through the prayer process that is right for you. Blessed be.

Blessed be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2009 - 6:02PM #6
gatekeeper

Who did Christ, the son of God pray to? your answer> His God and heavenly Father.

John 20:17
Jesus saith to her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended unto the Father: but go unto my brethren, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.

funny thing,

Many so called Christians say they 'follow Christ', but are really following their own religious leaders instead. It is up to us, individually, to search out the scriptures to make sure that what we are being taught really is found in the scriptures. Many put far too much faith in man made doctrines which make the word of God void. I know I did, as I was raised believing my parents' religion was 'the truth'.

Christ said,"I am the way and the truth" and Life" no one can come to the Father except by me."

The son of God quoted from the scriptures on many occasions, proving he had faith in them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 4:07PM #7
Ageo

None here are less or greater than you to our father.

If you need help bending your ways to go straight, ask with love and you will find.

If you had mastery over some ants, and some blind ants walked around in circles to please you, would you prefer those that dance in circles,  to those that live and learn with the moments you gave them to learn from?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 10:49PM #8
belleo

No two people pray the same way . I'm Catholic . Christian prayer is different from all other prayers . It is in a myterious way a sharing in Jesus prayer to the Father of all of us . So at times when we don't  have  the words we need not worry about it .

The Spirit too comes to help us in our weakness . For when we cannot choose words to pray properly , the Spirit himself expresses our plea in a way that could never be put into words , and God who knows everything in our hearts knows perfectly well what he means , and that the pleas of the saints expressed by the Spirit are according to the mind of God .(Romans 8:26-27)

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 12:26AM #9
Gwyddion9

For me, I pray to the Goddess and God, creators of all things in the Universe, seen and unseen.   I don't know what else to say really. The only thing to say is one would pray to the deity(s) one believes in, otherwise, why do so.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 9:59AM #10
natureboy_the0

Amarantha,

Before my new conception in 1973, when I prayed I address the title god, dear god..., then after it I addressed my prayers to father god... and ended it saying in Jesus' name, as had become the tradition.  Somewhere between my new conception and new birth (1976) I changed the ending to with praise, glory and reverence to you.  After a year or 2 into my New birth I stopped closing out my prayers as it appeared that to do that was like hanging up the telephone, either god had to ring me up or I had to ring up god again to get the answer.  

Around 1982 I was instructed to got through one of the native American rituals where I used a substance to go into an altered state of consciousness.  While in that state I was instructed to call my own name, Elijah, which I do to this day.  Yet, I am still getting answers to my prayers as I was during the conception and childhood years of my new birth. The difference is, then I often got voice responses but after the first couple of years in childhood it became an internal voice rather than an external one, when I needed directions to make a decision.  If it was something I need it appears in due time. 

What I am saying, Amarantha and everyone, since our relationship is to be personal, then we should have a personal way of reaching our deity, do not imitate others, but began as you do and ask your deity how to communicate with it.      

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook