Switch to Forum Live View trauma or PTSD and spirituality/religion
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 8:28AM #1
Getrtg

I am a Vietnam veteran who is a survivor of an atrocity.

I grew up with a strong Lutheran faith. Ever since the trauma, I have wandered through many religious traditions and practices. I won't bother listing them. It is a long list. Maybe in a future post.

I wouldn't mind getting some faith back. I have recently had an inkling of a new path, that is quite unconventional, I think. I guess that is all I will say for now.

I would be interested if anyone has knowledge or experience of the phenomen of trauma affecting a persons path to a religion, or to spirituality, per se. Or let's call it God.

RANDY

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2010 - 12:15AM #2
ToltecLogic

Yes but it is difficult to know where to begin, perhaps this

recent post might offer a place to begin...

The truth is we each of us have it within ourselves
this capacity to live an awakened life, not by holding
on to any one life changing catharsis of being but
rather in remaining true to our being no matter what
the circumstance. What is the point of self mastery
if not to do good works for the sake of temporal
achievement? But we must first learn to walk before
we can possibly hope to excel. So many are the
teachers from every unknown persuasion telling
us how much we have yet to grow.
And yet it is said, “The situation may be up to others,
but creation of life is up to oneself.”

“So in the path of practice of the Tao, it is not a matter
of people's talents or qualities, but of whether or not they
have determination. Without determination, even talented
and intelligent people are incapable of attaining the Tao;
with determination, even ignorant men and women are
capable of attaining it. As it is said, those who realize it
immediately ascend to the rank of sages, while those
who miss it sink in the stream forever.”
Taoist I Ching

There was a time once not so long ago

where once you had a dream

that anything was possible

but life did not turn your way

as once you had hoped it might be

and in this land of thoughtful forgetting

something was lost

and something is remembered,

a life that might have been 

almost was but for a moment

slipped away out of memory 

not quit forgotten.

A dream that almost was?

Years lost spent in deep suffering

or a life less remarkable ~ who you are?

What was it worth to be or not be?

Now life comes full circle.

But that was now before this was when… 

From recent introductions...

Yet, even if you have the faith of a mustard seed and can move mountains and we are never given more than our spirit can bare witness to… still there are hurdles in life that each of us in our own way must cross. Getting off measage here was not my intention, having been a forum moderator for perhaps 10 years or more has taught me if one can not be creative in the moment then absolutely we can be informative at least through this on going celestial practice. Though it leaves little or no room for ready discourse. The words and sayings of sages originate from an open perspective that does not allow for confussion in being with suchness that is. This is our birth right yet the more we speak of it the less we seem to understand. What I find most disturbing about the prevailing spiritual landscape is this abtuse sense of entitlement that appears to go along with it, not to mention this notion that enlightenment, depending on how we define it, is the unequivocal cure for all our ills, when quite often the opposite is more likely the case. It is a relatively simple matter for one to produce an enlightened state in expanded awareness where the truth of who we are becomes abundantly clear, it is without a dought the most evolutionary freeing experience that throws everything into proper perspective. Yet we have been so misinformed for all our lives that when ever we hear that some one has become awakened into an illuminated present moment awareness, out immediate reaction is to say, 'Yea, prove it.' Becasue we expect miracles. But it isn't like that, not at all. Yes we are suddenly privy to a universal pool of awareness in understanding that supersedes our mundane existence and this singular experience will change our life forever. However, the environment in which we live hasn't changed.
Jung speaks of two basic forms of awakening. One is to be produced within the safty of a perscribed group setting being whipped up to a spiritual fervor where any number of participants can be said to exhibit supernatural insights or awareness. But this form must be repeated and is difficult to sustain for any extended period of time, which keeps participants coming back for more. Not unlike the trance states to be achieved on drugs at a rave or the free will pentecostal induced frenzy of speaking in tongues. The effect is basically the same. The other is far less common and more difficult to attain, yet the effect is far more permanent according to Jung. And from my own personal experience on this one point I would have to agree. Yet it isn't a goal to be strived for and at the same time in a strange way, it is, because it arrives without being summoned and is so simple every child understands it.
Wish that I had more time to draw up predominate comparisons regarding reverberations that cross concentric circles of agreement without question. But this will have to wait. As for my momentary lapse into poetic regression above, I realize that so much of what I've said can be misconstrued as having regret but nothing could be further from the truth… consider that the suffering is not for regret, but that the physical so often must affect our success within the temporal.

Years lost spent in deep suffering
or a life less remarkable ~ who you are?
What was it worth to be or not be?
Now life comes full circle.

Restoration of the celestial
within the temporal is the return
of basic nature to natural innocence
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 3:13PM #3
Amaia

Hello,

I cannot say that I know what it is you are going through.  I understand PTSD due to my own history, so I can offer what I can in the hopes it will help.

I think there were a couple of things that had to happen before I could learn what it was to be spiritual/religious.  First, no one can "give" you what to believe.  I'm not saying anything bad about organized religion, but if you don't feel in your heart every aspect of a religion is right, you are always going to have that doubt, and either have to figure out how to reconsile it, or you will end up moving onto something else.  Or, you could become the direct opposite of what that religion believes in an effort to rebel against it.

Second, You can call it anything you want - God, Consciousness, Spirit, whatever.  But there is a divine presence within you that is a source of strength, comfort, love and peace.  Once I accepted that, I realized that I didn't have to be the "uber-strong" person anymore that shouldered my own burdens alone. 

Third, there is no such thing as a "conventional" path.  I grew up Catholic, Became Pagan, then Wiccan, then after several revisions of that lifestyle, I'm finding myself back in the Christian realms of religion.  Whatever works for you is what works for you. 

I hope that helps.

Blessed Be,

Amaia

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook