Switch to Forum Live View Virgin Mary and Egyptian gods eating Jesus's flesh
5 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2009 - 11:09AM #1
Confusedman

Hello, readers.  I think the title I've given this thread needs some explaining.  Last night I had a very strange dream.  I'll just skip to the really odd part.

In this dream there were some archaelogists searching for ancient leftovers from the last supper(Half-eaten bread and such which doesn't make much sense in real life since I was always under the impression that the disciples ate all of it and even if they didn't it would be rotted and turned to dust by now).  So these archaelogists were working at cracking open some sealed off tomb or cave.  And when they finally cracked it open and stepped inside they were startled to see something nobody would ever expect to find.

The virgin Mary and the Egyptian god, Osiris(he more closely resembled Horus, as in my dream he had the head of a falcon.  regardless, my mind identified him as Osiris) were standing there (possibly taking communion) and casually munching on the ancient leftovers the archaelogists had been so fervently searching for.

I'm sorry if anyone reading this is now scratching their head in confusion at this point.  A dream like this is actually to be expected due to my religious confusion lately.

See, I was a Christian for fifteen years but now I'm not so sure if I'm a Christian or not so I've been investigating all sorts of religions and mythologies.  And one thing that greatly interests me are the parallels between Jesus and various pagan gods and heroes from different mythologies. 

For example, Osiris was killed by Set, chopped into 14 pieces, mourned by women, was ressurrected and became lord of the underworld where he lets some enter into paradise and others get fed to some monster.  And Jesus was crucified, sealed in a tomb, descended into hell, ressurrected, and became judge of the dead where he lets some enter into paradise and others get fed into a fiery pit.  Anyway, I'm getting kind of off topic.

I don't usually ascribe meanings to dreams and I don't have a set meaning in mind for this one.  I figured, though, that someone here might have something interesting to say about it.  Anyway, even if you don't have anything to say thanks much for reading my ramblings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2009 - 12:09PM #2
Urukai

Say perhaps that you are the archeologist. That you are are digging for, searching for, trying to uncover knowledge, some spiritual meaning and understanding.

This dream might reflect that you are surprised by the things you are unearthing ie learning in your search... 

Spiritual meaning may not always be in plain sight. Sometimes a person may have to do some soul searching, some digging in order to find the connections or understanding one seeks.

Perhaps here you are coming to the realization that mythologies are not only connected in ways that aren't always immediately obvious but that these mythologies also feed into each other, nourish and support each other.  

Perhaps also there is the idea that though people may think the outer vestages of these mythologies as dead and buried they are perhaps alive and well and waiting for someone to take notice of them.... 

Btw Hello and Welcome to this corner of Bnet and thank you for sharing some of your experience with us!

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2009 - 11:31AM #3
Confusedman

Thanks much, Urukai.  What you've said actually makes sense to me.  I am definitely searching for knowledge and spiritual meaning.  I'm also surprised by certain things I find.  Even before the dream I entertained thoughts that the mythologies could compliment eachother.  Exactly how, I'm not for sure.  Some say that the stories of these pagan gods and heroes were a kind of distorted prophecy of Jesus's life.  Others say that Christianity borrowed or stole from the pagan beliefs.  Neither of those views are entirely satisfying for me though they are both plausible from certain points of view.

The only part of what you said that I don't really understand is

Aug 28, 2009 -- 12:09PM, Urukai wrote:

Perhaps also there is the idea that though people may think the outer vestages of these mythologies as dead and buried they are perhaps alive and well and waiting for someone to take notice of them.... 

What do you mean by that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 12:48PM #4
Urukai

Aug 28, 2009 -- 12:09PM, Urukai wrote:

The only part of what you said that I don't really understand is...

What do you mean by that?

What I think I was trying to say here was mythology is really a living breathing thing that

sometimes goes dormant but which can feed a person, speak to a person if they can connect

with it.  That if it is a valid mythology that has something real to offer it doesn't matter if its a

day old, a century old or a millenia, whatever it is about that mythology that is vital and alive

and relevant, even it is has gone dormant, once found will nourish those who explore it.  

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 6:31PM #5
Confusedman

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Have a fun day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 6:52PM #6
Urukai

Aug 30, 2009 -- 6:31PM, Confusedman wrote:

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Have a fun day.

You have a good one...take care...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:37PM #7
Shamanmystic

confused man... loved the imagery of the vision...

ever read hero with a thousand faces ? what about the monomyth,,,?

"Alot of people wanna say dreams are psychological this and that... that conscious reality is greater than that other realm.. i say they are operating from half data... their knowledge is half knowledge,, i say the dream realm is just as real a world as this conscious state.. From nothing everything comes.. and to it.. all returns...."-SM

Feast on the flesh and live.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2009 - 12:35PM #8
Confusedman

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:37PM, Shamanmystic wrote:

confused man... loved the imagery of the vision...

ever read hero with a thousand faces ? what about the monomyth,,,?

"Alot of people wanna say dreams are psychological this and that... that conscious reality is greater than that other realm.. i say they are operating from half data... their knowledge is half knowledge,, i say the dream realm is just as real a world as this conscious state.. From nothing everything comes.. and to it.. all returns...."-SM

Feast on the flesh and live.....

I have not read those books but I have read much about comparative mythology.  Similarities between Jesus, Buddha, gods, and heroes.  I do know that what I've read had an effect on my dream.  But I'm also willing to entertain the thought that the dream was influenced by something or someone else. 

One reason that I am greatly confused is that I see signs everywhere, in my everyday life, what I read, my dreams, my thoughts, objects lying here and there, sermons, etc.  So many in fact that I can't remember all of them.  At the same time some of these "signs" contradict eachother, or have multiple possible interpretations.  I also have a degree of skepticism so I am unsure if all the signs are real, if it's just some of them or if they're all just coincidences and I'm trying too hard to see things that aren't there.

Those do look like interesting books.  Might have to look into those.  Thanks much.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook