5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 2:14AM #1
Gracious_mystery

Does anyone have one? I would like to start one. I'm mainly interested in growing vegetables/fruits.

I don't know much about gardening in general. I live in Texas...very hot and humid.

Any advice on what is best to grow? What kind of containers to use? Soil/Fertilizer mix? Best time to start planting?

Help!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2009 - 12:16AM #2
MsCGheartofohio

Hello,  I'm in Ohio, not nearly the high temps as Texas, but we are familiar with hot and humid!

I have had success growing several varieties of tomatoes in containers.

Last year I chose a "container recommended" variety along the lines of a Better Boy or Better girl (round tomatoes, not quite baseball sized).  I used to blend my own potting mixes, but tried the Miracle Gro soil that has some timed release fertilizer and the moisture-holding pieces, and it worked very well.  Since containers dry out so quickly and tomatoes love their water, it was a good choice.  Unfortunately, when the tomatoes were nearly ready to pick, something came along and at them!

I also grew grape tomatoes in lined hanging wire baskets - you can plant a whole cell pack of seedlings in one basket by planting a couple normally, then slicing openings in the liner (ie cocoa fiber or spagnum moss) around the sides, and insert the remaining plants.  They grow down, while the others grow up.  The liner helps retain moisture during the day.  Again, I "cheated" and used the Miracle Grow soil.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 10:30AM #3
appy20

I had successful container gardens for years.  I lived in an apartment.  if you are going to grow vegetables, get very, very large containers.  I recommend you buy cheap potting soil and use the following mixture.

60% potting soil

20% peat moss

20% cow manure.

Mix it up.  You can plant all kinds of peppers, tomatoes (use varieties made for containers for best results), miniature roses,  Gerber daisies really do well and create a lot of showy color in containers.

To add some pleasant greenery, try some shrubs. yes, Garden shrubs.  They can give a patio or indoor area a great feeling of being outdoors.   They can create a very pleasant atmosphere.

A  fun and cheap thing to try are blackeyed peas.  Buy some peas at a grocery store, plant, water and place somewhere that you can tie the vines to a fence or wall.  They can be pretty.  Fresh peas are so much better than dried ones that you won't believe they are blackeyed peas.

I had success with tomatoes, peppers, roses, pansies, chrysantheums, daisies, salvia, blackeyed peas., strawberries   Bananna peppers really do well.  Ornamental peppers en mass are beautiful.  They don't require very big containers. 

You can use children's kiddie pools to plant bedding plants.   I have done that successfully.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2009 - 2:00PM #4
Stardove

Aug 3, 2009 -- 9:12AM, jessie1ka wrote:

You think too much. Plant whatever you like to eat and start it today. I have read on Project Weight Loss  why gardening and salads protect against lung cancer. Both smokers and non-smokers can protect themselves against this disease if they eat no less than four servings of green salad per week and work in the garden more often.

Jessie1ka is a SPAMMER.   She is putting the same link on all her posts.  I have reported her.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jan 23, 2014 - 9:27AM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have a long-narrow raised garden bed. And a small children's one. They are over a trench. That's 30 cm deep. Under the 40 cm high raised garden beds. Giving a total tilled depth of 70 cm.

I am in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).

Tomatoes grew prolifically. They had just sprouted from compost! So they must have been supermarket variety. Anyhow, they tasted better than their forebears.

Then I grew potatoes and carrots. The potatoes grew excellently. I have just dug another couple out. But the carrots suffered from drought, and have been woody.

I don't buy soil! Rather, I have mixed the pre-existing clay with compost. Plus extras like gypsum.

This summer, I'm digging in more compost.

I bought a hose and a trigger-nozzle adapter. And so I'm hoping to beat the dry conditions.

By the way, I mulch with pea straw. So as a bonus, I got a few pea plants. One of which produced edible pods.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook