Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The New England Garden
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2009 - 9:10AM #1
westlilies

Hello fellow gardeners!  It's spring in New England USA and the extra warm weather we had last week has forced most of the spring "flowering" trees and shrubs to bloom a little too early.  It also caused many perennials such as hostas & daylilies & peonies to send up shoots and begin their cycle.  It all looks great but it came so fast I think it's going to be one of those "can't catch up" seasons. Anyway, I thought it might be nice to meet some folks who share my interest in the garden. Kind of like over the fence chats about the various aspects of our hobby. This year I'm going to plant up a new section with herbs.  Looking forward to hearing from others.   Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2009 - 10:10AM #2
Anona

Hiyas and welcome. I know what you mean about green bursting out all over. That's happening where I am too. I was stunned to see the trees go from bare to leaves in just a couple of days. I think so long as we don't get another freeze before the weather totally turns for the season we'll be OK. You might also want to check out the gardening forum in the groups. community.beliefnet.com/gardening_for_he...

Hope your garden does good by you this year.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 4:14AM #3
LuvBear

I planted an interesting garden, a little on the late side last year. Because of planning my daughters wedding and remodeling our kitchen, we didn't get to redoing our backyard until the first week of August. I put in flowers that bloomed thru Sept. and now are blooming again. I thought I lost 4 plants to the frost, but three came back to my surprise. I live in Calif. about an hour drive from San Francisco in a town called San Jose. We are seeing things blooming pretty fast here and we may have to go on mandatory water rantioning. We are waiting to hear on that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 8:55AM #4
westlilies

Hello Anona and LuvBear.  Thanks for responding. 
Plants are like people...they can be needy, fussy, easy going, etc. 
LuvBear, where I live, we have a heavy deer population. They browse through our yards and unfortunately have destroyed many of our plants and shrubs.  So I need to find plants that they don't eat!
Water conservation is another issue that is solved by selecting the right plants (not always the ones you want).  I have some 'lavender' started in peat pots.  It's a plant that tolerates dry conditions.  And I'm pretty sure 'echinacea' and 'lambs ears' take to dry conditions too. They are also deer resistant.  I've never been to the west coast...were you born there? 
Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 4:37PM #5
LuvBear

Yes, I was born and raised here. By the way, I have a cousin who lives in Washington state who like you was having trouble with the deer. She found the only way to keep them from eating her plants was to put up a fence around her back yard so they couldn't eat her plants. She didn't want to put up a wooden one as she said she has a wonderful view of mountains etc. so she put up some sort of wire fence. Also, my mom and dad had retired to a cute place where they lived out away from the town. They to had deer problems. I seem to remember my parents putting salt lick out to keep the deer from eating their plants that were behind their house.

I have most of my plants on a drip system. That helps quite a bit. I will have to check out the plants you have recommended. I don't think I am familiar with those.  I try to make sure I use native plants for our area and ones that can handle drout conditions then sometimes, they can't handle the frost we get.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 10:04AM #6
westlilies

Thanks for the input on deer.  By the way, in what zone are you located?   I'm in zone 5.  We get frost up until late May.  New England weather is quite unpredictable.  The local farmers plant corn as early as April...and pray!  They often have to re-seed because the ground either gets too wet or stays too cold for successful germination.  I just wait till the 3rd week in May before I plant anything tender.   When you say "native" are you referring to wildflowers? 
Of all the garden type magazines I have bought over the years, my favorite is "Fine Gardening."
I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in growing outdoor plants...from containers to walkways or borders etc.  They have a free E newsletter if you are interested.  If you get on their email list they will send you their newsletter monthly.  Happy gardening!   Lily

FineGardening@etaunton.com  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 1:38PM #7
LuvBear

I'm talking more native plants for California. We are in zone 8 & 9. I start planting around the first of May. I should be putting in my veg. garden now but my husband is being lazy right now. lol. The garden is full of weeds and he doesn't want to have any thing to do with it.  When I do my veg. garden we grow enough to eat and give away 1/3 and freeze the other 2/3's. Thanks for the link to get the news letter. I also get many gardening magaziines. I may have bought that one. I will have to check. I like some of them for the way people have done their yards. I just redid my yard with a yellow brick road and a tinman, and Dorthy, and a Lion and scarecrow. I still have to paint the brick road, and finish the lion and dorthy. This is what we started last August, but didn't get all finnished. We got the plants in, and the brick road in and part of the characters in but with my daughters wedding, and such I couldn't finish the rest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 4:22PM #8
Taurscorpiomoon

westlillies - what kind of herbs were you thinking of planting?  I live just south of Boston and I'm starting some new gardens, including herbs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 6:08PM #9
westlilies

Taurscorpiomoon...hope I got that right...the herbs I have started indoors are lavender, parsley, basil, sage, and hyssop.  I already have oregano...its a perennial.  And I plan to buy rosemary plants.  I'm told they do not germinate very well from seed.  So I'll buy plants made from cuttings.  It's not hardy so it will have to come indoors for the winter.  I also have some spearmint and peppermint that I'm always cutting back because it gets invasive.  Oh, I have chives too!  There are lots more but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. 

You said gardens...what else are you going to plant?  

Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 8:09PM #10
LuvBear

Interesting Westlillies. I grow some of the same herbs. I keep them under my patio or in the kitchen so I can cut them as I need them for cooking. What herbs do you have Taurscorpumoon? I too would be interested to hear about your garden.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook