Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Spiritual Awakening and The Weight Loss Journey
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 7:42PM #1
sabrinaswinter

I am inviting all ladies to participate in a Spiritual Awakening and Weight Loss Support Group.  All are welcome to share in the inner journey.  As women, I feel we are all Goddesses and all beautiful.  Our bodies are our temples.  I want to see us soar to the stars of good health, happiness, inner acceptance and power.

I started a Goddess Power Weight Loss Support group and we are going to just move it here.  All are welcome and all are cherished.  May the feminine face of God forever be blessed.  All traditions are welcomed!  The universe is about love and love first starts from within.  As we become more empowered, the world becomes more blessed.  Love is truly divine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 9:25PM #2
MelissaHlovesGod

It took me a little while to get here but I found you. So how are you going to run this support group? Is it going to be anything like women power? I think the last support group had some good points in it, it just fizzled out at the end. When it fizzled out, I lost my motivation and a lot of my support, and gained a lot of my weight back. So now I have to lose it again. I am, however, going to a bariatric support group the third Tuesday of every month and to water aerobics starting next Wednesday three days a week. Even though I will be "attending" college. I'm going to have a lot on my plate, but I sort of like having a lot on my plate. And I am learning that I can take out time for me and not feel guilty for it.

I hope this support group is a huge success. I will pray for it to become so and I will come back if I can find my way. I think I will need the support. I still need to lose a hundred pounds before the doctor will allow a surgeon to take a look at me for bariatric surgery.

May God Bless You. Have a blessed night and an even more blessed tomorrow.

Melissa

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 2:12AM #3
iczbez

Hi Wendy , Melissa and girlfriends,

Good to see you gals on board again. Our old thread had a long run. Things change and here we are now.  Check back with you soon. Wendy, did you send all of the gals a note; Susie, Lily Diana, Cathy and Alice.

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 2:26PM #4
iczbez

Spirtual awakening; I think that is something that I need at this time to get me back into sinc. For sometime, it is one crisis after another. Since I don't smoke anymore, the food thing is centre stage.

Next week, I will start into my 6th month of stopping smoking. I gained 37lbs. I could cry!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 10:07PM #5
westlilies

Hello Wendy and friends...thanks for the invite to join your new discussion.  What a wonderful approach to this subject!  Norris has had great success at weight loss through faith and prayer. So...we begin. It occurs to me that the "real me" is not always in charge of my choices. In the past I have merely gone along with the crowd, followed my emotions, or...I'd make good food choices but didn't exercise.  And if I did...my success was short lived!  God is my strength in so many other areas of life...but I must admit that I haven't turned to Him concerning my lifestyle. It always seemed my responsibility not His.  Some people 'fast' and pray.  Others follow diets based on old testament dietary laws.  As for me, I'm going to simply pray for guidance and self control. When I mentioned the 'real me' earlier I have to say that when I think about my inner person and then look in the mirror at my body they don't match!  Irene, you said you could cry.
It might make you feel better to let go of some of those emotions you have held back for so long. Cry out to God...I believe He hears us especially when we cry.  Check out Psalm 34:17.  Melissa,
you are so ambitious! Now that you have connected with Wendy's forum you'll get back on track.
Talk to you all soon,  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 1:12PM #6
sabrinaswinter

Dear Irene, Melissa and Lily:

I am so happy you found our new thread.  I feel we can add to girl power by adding God power.  God made us and adores us, so it is time to adore who we are.

Lily, you touch on so many issues.  I also feel like crying when I look into a mirror.  The inner person does not match my outer person and food choices are an issue.  I feel in my heart that I can't do this in my own strength.  I am open to all faiths, but feel in my heart that for us to be a true success, we have to have two things helping us--Spirituality and Girl Power.  Self-esteem is key to weight loss.  Today I ask that you and all the other girls join me and loving who we are in the right now and acting as if our prayer was already answered by God himself.

Melissa:  I also have a 100 pounds to lose.  You are not alone.  I'm so proud that you are going back to school.  I will include you in my prayers.  Thank you for joining us.

Irene, we can beat this weight thing, girl.  Give it up to God.  Smoking is so hard. I truly understand.

Okay.  What is our plan?  How can we make this better?  The reason I chose the woman only format is the following:  Women have more pressure in our society to look a certain way than men.  I want us to focus on our heart and our heart health.  Also I felt our girlpower group lasted so long because it was geared to women and women's special needs.  We are like a sisterhood and we can do it.

What is the game plan?  Please share yours as well.

!.  Love God or Any Spiritual Tradition which empowers you be it Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish or any other religion.  All faiths are welcome.  Carl Jung spoke of archetypes for empowerment.  Whomever inspires you, go for it.  Let your heart decide!

2. Choose a diet plan that agrees with you.  I'm aiming toward semi-vegetarian for personal reasons and will focus on that.  Also I'm counting calories.  But if Atkins works for you, go for it.  If it is Weight Watcher's, go for it.  Weight Watchers is expensive, but you can Check Dottie's Weight Loss Zone for some Weight Watcher tips. Also one's public library may have Weight Watcher Magazines.  If one has a medical condition, check with a doctor.  For example, if one is on Coumadin,

3.  Dr. Oz is wonderful.  He recommends more fruits and vegetables along with eight glasses of water a day.

4.  Ladies, garlic salt or garlic pepper tastes good on things.  Try it.

5.  A food journal is a must.

6.  Dr. Phil's paradigm or keys:  Right Thinking (Encourage yourself), Healing Feelings (don't label yourself because of something negative.), No Fail Environment (no goodies in the house), high nutrition (an orange is better than orange juice.  Food you have to work on to eat.), Intenional Exercise (Do something once a day), and Circle of Support (Friends on a Mission).  I suggest Dr. Phil's son's book, Jay McGraw, and Weight Loss for Teen.  Even though we are beautiful ladies and not teenagers, Jay's book is more fun, simple, easy listening and he gives fun journal exercises.  Such as how to deal with people who ridicule a person who is heavy,  he suggests coming up with a response.  Let's work on this.  As a woman, I have dealt with garbage and a sassy and fun comeback lessens things and yet, enables one to stand up for oneself.  We do not tolerate prejudice against others because of race or creed.  Fat prejudice is very real.  One come back I like is when someone calls me fat and ugly, I tell them the following:  "Botticelli, the famous Renaissance painter didn't think so.  He pained Aphrodite and she is zofting.  I don't see any twigs in the Met!  Besides why should I argue with Rubins?"  Memorize a resonspe. This prevents one from internalizing negativity and taking it to heart. 

7.  Even if you fall off the wagon, stay.  I notice (myself included) that I get down if I'm not compliant

8.  If one is stressed, talk here rather than eat when you are not hungry.  Let us be your sounding board.  Get the feelings out so that they don't become toxic.

9.  Start with baby steps or mini goals.  I have not had beef in three weeks.  Even though I'm Christian, I do love Hinduism.  My first guru was Gurudeva and I feel a need to honor the sacred cow concept.  This is what my spirit is calling forth.  Start with a small step that makes your heart happy.  Let's say walking 10 minutes a day.  The following week make it 12.  Start with one step.

10.  There is no judgement here.  If you are struggling with weight and slip up, let's find out why.  It could be a death in the family or depression.  Talk!  Even if you can't stick to a diet, give yourself down time and then go back to it the following week.  I call it the grace period with a deadline.

11.  Substitution is a fun concept.  Jay McGraw covers this.  If one is full and one goes to eat more due to stress, just do something else like needle point or coloring.  Keep those hands busy.

12.  Oh, the hate exercising issue.  Do something fun.  Walk for half hour in a mall or a petting zoo or museum or play with a granchild.  Yes, pushing a child on a swing gounds or have little games with grandchildren.  Try to make exercise fun.  Dr. Deepak Chopra claiims that moderate exercise which is peaceful and pleasurable will be repeated.

13.  Creative Visualization.  (I learned this from my Weight Watcher coach).  Choose a picture of when your were thinner or use a realistic picture of a woman who resembles a dream for you and stick to it.  I have Goddess statue of Aphrodite in my room.  She is a size 16-18.  My goal is to be 160 lbs.  Being a size two is not realistic.  Also I'm going to check out Dove's Beauty Campaign.

14.  Okay, positive affirmations, such as "I'm pretty.  I'm a great woman and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

15.  Limit negativity. 

Now ladies, you freeback.

Love,

Wendy (Sabrinaswinter)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 1:39PM #7
sabrinaswinter

Dear Irene and Ladies:

I tried invitations.  I hope all went through.  God bless.

Love,

Wendy

PS:  I am using the concept of spiritual awakenings.  I want this thread to be dual one.  Sometimes some ladies (myself included) drop off because we give up.  I feel inspiration will help on its own.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 1:52PM #8
westlilies

WOW...Wendy, you certainly inspired me!  You are right about "the plan."   Finding one that fits is real important.  I'm willing to give up bread and pasta for the most part...but forever...never...just isn't realistic for me.  But, as I search for "my plan" I will do what I already know to do.  I took a 45 min. walk already today and have made good choices for breakfast & lunch.  All I have to do now is make sure I have a (little smaller that usual) well balanced meal for dinner.  Maybe this would be a good time to make a commitment not to have any food after 7 PM.  And I had a thought...Instead of looking at what must be eliminated, our new format encourages us to add something.  Prayer...Having an attitude of gratitude...Imagination...Feeling good about ourselves.
Those things should be checked on regularly.  It could make all the difference in the world!      Have a great day!  Drink your water...Talk to you soon.   Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 3:56PM #9
sabrinaswinter

Dear Lily:

I love the concept of adding something to one's life.  Your ideas are wonderful.  I like the concept of adding prayer and something joyous.

Like you, I went for a 45 minute walk on my lunch break.  I asked myself this question:  What in my lifestyle is making me heavy?

I came to the conclusion:  Too much work!  I often skip lunch hour and work at my desk.  Today I spent a few minutes on this message board and then a 45 minute walk.  We have a wellness walk.  It is so fun to be on the same proud.  I'm so proud of you for walking--work it girl and remember God loves you always.

I did creative visualization during my walk.  I imagined myself thinner (160 lbs is fine for me) and just envisioned love, happiness and a fun future.  I envisioned my favorite wrestler, Matt Hardy, walking with me and yes, I'm blushing.

Imagination is fun.  I see myself walking in a garden with a handsome man.  I added some years to the wrestler and custom made him to fit my imagination.  I read his autobiography and I liked that he loves his brother with all of his heart.

It is fun.  Yes, tell me what you added to spice your life up.  As for pasta, you can always mix it with vegetables and I heard there is spinach pasta.  But if you need to cut out a food because your spirit is guiding you, listen to her above all.

Our souls know what we need.

Love,

Wendy

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 11:04AM #10
sabrinaswinter

Dear Diana:

Taelyn is adorable!  She is so cute.  Happy Birthday and many, many more.

Love,

Wendy

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook