Switch to Forum Live View Things Taught By Mothers
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 4:50PM #1
Beliefnetsabee

If you could make a list of the most important things your mother taught you, what would be at the top of the list?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 2:51PM #2
inthemidstwest

Here's ultimately my favorite (true indeed) -

~No matter how stupid, embarassing, or wrong a mother's request of her child seems, it's done  in love.  Now don't question it, just do it!  You'll understand some day when you're a mother!

Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 10:54PM #3
Gordonsetter

My mother's saying was, "Put cold water on it!"  If you scraped your knee, bruised your elbow, hit your head it didn't matter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 1:16PM #4
Svetlana

"After you've tried everything else, try reading the directions."

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2009 - 2:49PM #5
cindijh

My mom is a total worry wart.  She is also very skeptical as in....if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I am very wary of sales gimmicks etc. due to my mom's influence.  My husband, on the other hand, is fair game for every "as seen on TV" product ever made.  Yes...I have a flip and fold in my laundry room...and various other gadgets and devices.  But back to mothers..... I often find my mother's words coming out of my mouth....or I find myself mirroring one of her gestures or facial expressions.  I tell my girls one day the same thing will happen to them.  Of course, they think I am totally crazy...but one day...to their utter dismay they will hear my words coming out of their mouths.

Cindi.....

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 5:19PM #6
Urukai

The following are not things my mother said but things she did so I guess I learned by example...

Strength in a woman doesn't make you unfeminine - it makes you strong...

I can't watch you every minute of the day so you're going to have to police yourself.

Stand on your own 2 feet. If you have others constantly carry you they are liable, sooner or

later, to drop you...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2010 - 8:06PM #7
indep

Your Mother was wise!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2010 - 4:14PM #8
Dunamus3

"....A new broom sweeps good..." in reference to meeting and being impressed by others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 9:01PM #9
seraphina62458

of the many things my mother wasn't, there was one great thing she taught me " Be Real" there was nothing phony about her. What you saw was what you got. She had a quick, genuine, smile, and a compassionate heart. She was a nurse and her patients loved her because she was genuine.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook