Switch to Forum Live View Prayer for the nonbeliever
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 2:06PM #1
RAFFEY

My qeustion is how can we continue to pray for someone who refuses to believe in GOD? i have a situation with a person claiming not to believe but welcomes my prayer for blessings,we often offer prayer for healing to those who dont have faith in GOD does it make sense to continue to pray for someone who will not accept the truth? i pray GOD will reveal truth unto them but as far as healing ect. i think the individual has to 1st believe as jesus once said your belief has made you hole.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 5:24PM #2
dpatel

From what I can tell, the person in question has a tiny bit of hope and faith even if it's only as small as a mustard seed. That is very good of you to offer prayer for healing to those who don't have faith in GOD and I thank you for doing that. And yes, in IMHO, it does make sense to continue to pray for someone who will not accept the truth - I see it as part of loving your neighbour. I suggest you carry on praying as you have been  - after all it can't hurt can it? God bless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2009 - 9:51AM #3
LiobaAsia

Just continue praying for that person. They'll find the truth someday.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2009 - 5:29AM #4
Bunnym58@neo.rr.com

Hello everyone. I believe when you pray for a non-believer, you should pray as you would for a believer. i pray and ask the Lord Jesus to surround them all with His peace only

protect them and he will just as he would a believer, We are all God's children and since we have free will I believe God wouldn't care for anyone pushing Him onto another. That would make us in the wrong. We are not the judge either. God is and he knows each and every one of us. none are without sin. If I know of anyone  that is in danger, a tradgedy,etc. I do what i can but always end up putting that person, believer or non-believer in The Lord's Hands.He only knows best for the individual. It makes me laugh when others don't know how to handle a non-believer but don't look inside themselves first and see their own problems. None of our words, thoughts, actions, are hidden from God. Some think if they are religious, go to church every Sunday but do wrongs during the week that no person can see, they are looking good to others. It is The Lord we must worry about as far as what He sees, not people. Peace & Light Of Jesus To All. Esther  Bunnym58

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2009 - 8:36PM #5
Barbie243

Yes, I do pray for all non-believers because my sister-in-law was one, an so alot of what I said to her she wouldn't listen, but now after praying for her, she is now starting to see what I've told her is the truth, and she is not so negative anymore, so yes prayers help.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2009 - 10:58PM #6
mebjk

Hello,

I'm not even sure what a "non-believer" is, and I'm a follower of Jesus!  I do not presume to think that anyone else needs to believe or not believe what I believe or don't believe.  To me, that is God's business.

It is hard work to practice my own faith and trust.  That takes my energy.  If I pray for someone else, I pray for their health or their need - whatever it is they may need, a job, a home - and if I have a difficulty with them, I pray for me and my difficulty with them.  If I need to forgive, then that's about me.

To me, though, it seems arrogant for me to pray for someone to share my beliefs, however much easier that might make my life.  I trust that they are God's own, and that they have their own journey.

Thanks for "listening."

mebjk

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2009 - 9:25PM #7
voice-crying

If someone tells me that they are a "nonbeliever," more than likely they also told me their name; if their name is John or Sue that is who I pray for.  There are so many "believers" standing in the need of prayer; maybe we should concentrate on praying for ourselves...that our lives will be a testimony of the love of Christ. 

God Bless and have mercy on us all. 

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 12:25PM #8
Jimmhaley

Speaking as what is tantamount to being a non-believer, I can tell you that in times of great pain or adversity non-believers like myself, like anyone else, will reach for support that is freely offered.

I might not believe in your god or your rituals, but I do believe in the warmth of the human spirit. I have friends who are devout Christians who have on several occasions prayed for me, and I welcomed it. It made me feel loved and supported and gave me a life-ring to grasp when it felt like I was drowning. I knew that my friends were making an effort that in their minds at the very least was to give me strength and solace and a feeling of being loved. How could I not appreciate that? How could I not feel helped and less alone? In return, I loved them back and thanked them and called them my brothers and sisters.

So if an agnostic, or atheist, or a nature-based UU like myself asks you to pray for them, it's isn't necessarily because we're converting wholesale to your belief system. It's just our way of asking a friend to give us support in times of loss or other tragedy. And we love you for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 9:43PM #9
servant08

i feel bad about this, but this is for some reason an extremely difficult area for me. there's a guy at my job who speaks out vehemently about being an atheist, but at the first sign of deep trouble he's asking for prayer. fine. beautiful. we pray. then his prayer is answered, then he explains away how it wasnt so bad after all, no gratitude to God whatsoever. but then when something else in his life freaks him out, there he is again. i feel like it's robbery. i feel like it's a person who is dating someone for their money. only for what they can do for them. and them casts them aside when their finances are in order. please help me on this. i believe in the power of prayer and as i said, i feel bad about this--it doesn t feel right to feel this way, but it doesnt feel right to pretend either.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook