Switch to Forum Live View What you wished you knew when you first thought about becoming Vegan...
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 4:06PM #1
DAH54
Okay here is your chance to share, what do you wished you had known  when you first thought of becoming a Vegan? Is it hard for you? Did you crave meat, do you still crave meat? Do you ever dream of the old ways? Where you part of a community? Did you do it solo, or did you haave a support system? Would you be willing to act as a guide for someone thinking about becoming Vegan? What about real cost of being a Vegan, is it cheaper or more expensive in your opinion? 

Blessings
dah

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:09PM #2
blakeshon927
I want to become a vegan but I feel that it cost more to do so.... I really don't know how to prepare vegan or vegetarian meals that well... I really don't like some of the protien choices like the vegie protien stuff and Tofu... I like beans but I have a problem with making the dry beans not taste bland and end up going to can beans... Any recommendations would be helpful. Blakeshon
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 5:14AM #3
DAH54
Hello Blakeshon927 and welcome to the Vegan Spirituality board! :) I have found that many Vegans tend to eat raw, that preparations tend to be more about slicing than cooking. That yes buying Vegan food is probably a little more expensive initially but it pays off in the long run in a healthier life, and a better life.Have you Googled on Vegan beans?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:40PM #4
Saadaya
I did this for Krishna, in the Gita Krishna says that one who takes refuge in him slowly becomes purified and develops what is known as a HIGHER TASTE.

I don't crave meat at all.  It's gross, it smells bad and is just sickening.  I've also given up coffee with Krishna's grace, which years back I never thought I'd do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 5:38PM #5
SkyWalker53
Okay here is your chance to share, what do you wished you had known when you first thought of becoming a Vegan?

*****nothing.

Is it hard for you?

****not at all. At first i craved cheese. after about 2 years away from cheese, it will begin to gross you out. At least it did for me.

Did you crave meat, do you still crave meat?

**** i never craved meat. GAK! GROSS! BARF!

Do you ever dream of the old ways? Where you part of a community?

****No and no. I have always enjoyed being iconoclastic and revolutionary. It bores me to do what the herd does.

Did you do it solo, or did you haave a support system?

****Boyfriend and I did it together. We went from vegetarian to vegan. It was awesome and has bonded us very strongly.

Would you be willing to act as a guide for someone thinking about becoming Vegan?

*****Yes.

What about real cost of being a Vegan, is it cheaper or more expensive in your opinion?

****it's cheaper. Animal products are not only cruel to animals but they are also bad for your health and still costly even after being heavily subsidized by the govt. It's always cheaper to eat healthy and cruelty free. Getting a disease is the costliest thing that could ever happen to you. and what does it cost your conscience to know you have payed to have someone torture and kill animals so that you can stuff your face with artery clogging ham or steak or eggs?

..........Oh, the person who brought up vegan cooking...I don't cook, i consider it a waste of my time and it also tends to destroy all of the healthy nutrients in raw foods...BUT you should know that there are PLENTY of vegan cook books for those who do like to cook. Check out your local book store or go to the PETA web site.

..........Oh...I like Krishna, Krishna gets it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 9:52PM #6
PITBULL
I desire to become VEGAN no matter what it takes. I have always been a meat eater , but I have been really reading THE HOLY BIBLE  for the first time again and it has opened my mind that we were ment to be Vegetarians. I am chchoosing to take it that extra step. I have sever problems with dairy products, so I am not putting this into any menue's. I can not say that I have any idea about what I am doing. PLEASE help me to start my quest in this venture. I will accept any information I can lay my hands and mind on.

Please someone respond to my PLEE, I PRAY. I am a firm believer in stopping cruelty to an animal. This concept is totally backward to the way I was raised, as a farm boy in Kentucky. I was taught at a young age that the animals we brought-up were to feed us and the many people who worked for us. I am so so sorry I did not know then what I know now. I would have gone against my parents on this issue.

It is currently 6:51 P.M. CALIFORNIA time
FEBRUARY 12, 2008

ANIMALS ARE PEOPLE TOO ! ! !

PITBULL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 2:20PM #7
pilahawaiian

DAH54 wrote:

Is this simply your opinion/belief? Or do you have something to actually back this up with?

From the book; Fertility from the Ocean Deep, by Charles Walters.

Page 8

Rivers were full of fish with tumors not unlike those Maynard Murray saw among hospital patients. Even though these rivers drained toxic soils and spilled their contents into the ocean, the manmade molecules hadn't afflicted ocean life with tumors, at least not in the early 1950s.

Other books you might like to read; Minerals for the Genetic Code, Electrolytes the Spark of LIFE, You can fine these books at, acresusa.com.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 10:25AM #8
Angel_Link
"what do you wished you had known when you first thought of becoming a Vegan?"

I wish I had known how the omnivores in my life would turn on me. I didn't become a preacher of vegan gospel, I just wanted to live healthier and more peacefully - some how everyone you come in contact with thinks that your choice is a harsh judgement on their life. It's so ridiculous and I wasn't prepared to have a huge argument over soy milk with my aunt (mind you this is when I was 23 years old).

"Is it hard for you?"

It's hard for the reason mentioned above.

"Did you crave meat, do you still crave meat?"

Never, but I did crave ice cream - the rice dream stuff doesn't really cut it. But that faded within a couple months.

"Do you ever dream of the old ways?"

Only around the holidays. I've always been a big cook and when we go to our families' homes there is literally nothing we can eat unless we bring it ourselves. Our own vegan thanksgiving is really wonderful though full of fanstastic roasted veggies, baked sweetened acorn squash, and other fall harvest foods so it makes up for it a bit.

"Did you do it solo, or did you have a support system?"

My husband and I did it together. My step kids eat vegan at home but since we started so late in their lives we don't enforce it outside of our house. We want them to make their own decisions and since they love my food so much I think they will eventually. I'm not sure that we'd be so successful if we had tried separately - some support is very important.

"Would you be willing to act as a guide for someone thinking about becoming Vegan?"

Absolutely. www.veryvegan.vox.com

"What about real cost of being a Vegan, is it cheaper or more expensive in your opinion?"

It is about equal if not on the cheaper side. Just think, chicken is 4 plus dollars per pound and tofu  is around 2. Not to mention, beans and rice - an important complete protein staple - is about as cheap as it gets.

The real cost of being vegan isn't financial, it's social. It's pretty easy to be vegan if you cook all your own food and eat at home, but if you go out to eat, go to friends' homes, or travel often it's like you become a burden. In my opinion, the only way to change this is to get the issues heard, especially the global warming and factory farming connection which is so vital yet often over looked. Soon, I think being vegan won't be looked upon as radical but as practical and our options will grow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 10:48AM #9
DAH54
Thank you for taking the time to stop by on this Memorial Day, Angel_Link! I hope you are bless with a beautiful day today. I am sorry that your friends seem to choose to see you as a burden rather than an opportunity to experience something different in life.

Are there any Vegan groups where you are? Finding other to support and validate your beliefs is important in nourishing them long term.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 1:44PM #10
pilahawaiian
This is what made see the Light of life.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook