Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 5:04AM #1
Innocentodion
I've spent the best part of a year looking for a religion which suits me, and frankly, I'm getting burned out now.  I want to find God, in some way shape or form.  If people are interested, I will explain what I've been in the past, and the paths which interest me and whatnot, but I would like to talk with people who will help me find God.  Whatever, whoever, God is.

Anyone up to helping me? :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2008 - 3:00PM #2
Nightwriterx
I've been on a similar search for some time now, and I've been all over the spectrum of belief and disbelief. Somehow I can't fathom being sure that there is nothing ... if there were nothing, then from where does this need to seek something higher come?

So ... I don't have any answers for you (yet :) ) but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your search. I wish you the best!

Btw, that's a super cute baby in your avatar pic!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2008 - 9:20PM #3
Destiny9

InnocentOdion wrote:

I've spent the best part of a year looking for a religion which suits me, .....

You don't say anything about what methods you've used in your search.

I might suggest you try to find some interfaith group activities in your area, if there are any.  That's 'inter-faith', not just 'inter-denominational' groups.

You'll likely meet a lot of people of faiths you never considered before.  Some faiths you may have never heard of before  - like mine (the Baha'i Faith) or Jain or Sufi (a mystical sect within Islam).  And there are always Universalist Unitarians there.

I just hope you do not close the door to God.   There's a writing in my faith (i.e. God speaking to us, His creation):

[QUOTE]
"O Son of Being!   Love Me that I love Thee.  If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee.  Know this O Servant."
[/QUOTE]

When you don't open the door to God, He won't come in.

When I was seeking my truth, I prayed to God for His help in my quest.   I think I found my path, maybe He'll help you find yours.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 1:59PM #4
Innocentodion

Somehow I can't fathom being sure that there is nothing ... if there were nothing, then from where does this need to seek something higher come?

Ditto! Some people say it's a 'God gene'... :D I think it's because there is a God :)
[QUOTE=nightwriterx;858613]Btw, that's a super cute baby in your avatar pic![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 2:02PM #5
Innocentodion
[QUOTE=Destiny9;859493]You don't say anything about what methods you've used in your search.

Hmmm.  What do you mean by methods, may I ask? I've tried reading (some) religious scriptures, prayer, scrutiny, and common sense.  If that's what you mean? I can elaborate if you like. :D

I might suggest you try to find some interfaith group activities in your area, if there are any.  That's 'inter-faith', not just 'inter-denominational' groups.

Will check it out, but I don't think there are any. :-/

I just hope you do not close the door to God.   There's a writing in my faith (i.e. God speaking to us, His creation):

When you don't open the door to God, He won't come in.

When I was seeking my truth, I prayed to God for His help in my quest.   I think I found my path, maybe He'll help you find yours.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't close the door on God.  I know, deep in my bones, that there is a God :) I will pray more, I think.  Since, for a while, prayer has been a bit lacking recently.  Since I don't know who, or what, to pray to!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 2:06PM #6
Innocentodion

By all means, let us know if any of that makes sense to you, or if you still feel you need a more structured framework with more traditional opportunities for worship, in whatever faith.

Hmmm, wow...that's a good one!  I'm somewhere between traditional and freform.  I would like to be in a group, but at the same time, I don't want to be regulated unduly! Thanks for giving me the URL to your spiritual journey.  Other people's journeys fascinate me, and there are things I can relate to in them.

How long were you seeking until you finally found something you're happy with, if you don't mind me asking? :)

I'd like to thank all of you for your kindness, and I won't give up! Even though apathy sometimes sets in, I don't want to be apathetic!:)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 10:09PM #7
Nightwriterx
[QUOTE=InnocentOdion;861009]Ditto! Some people say it's a 'God gene'... :D I think it's because there is a God :)[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right ... and I hope to believe that (really believe it) someday soon!

[QUOTE]Thanks :D It's my daughter! (I have a daughter and a son)[/QUOTE]

I also have a son and daughter but mine are older.

I wonder, how much do you think having children fuels your wish to find a spiritual path? I know it's a huge part of my motivation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2008 - 7:20AM #8
Innocentodion
[QUOTE=Walther;861178]
It was by way of this casual study as a hobby that I stumbled on what I feel may be the ultimate reality of God.  I certainly wasn't looking for God.[/quote]
Wow.  My search for God has led me to be interested in similar things, only it's in the reverse way to yours. :D I'm very interested, also, in linguistics, so I like to check out things like, poems, puns, idioms, jokes, etc, in religious materials, which led me to some "weird" beliefs at one point when I was "going out" of Christianity, so to speak. :D

[QUOTE=Walther;861178]If you have time to slog through the whoooooooooole URL(!) -- actually, it's a sequence of five postings "numbered" from "A" to "E"(!) :-) -- my thinking will hopefully be clearer.[/QUOTE]

I'll try and read them when I get home and my net is fixed.  Currently I'm at my parent's home for the weekend (or just today), so, I'll read it soon! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2008 - 7:23AM #9
Innocentodion
[QUOTE=nightwriterx;861980]I hope you're right ... and I hope to believe that (really believe it) someday soon![/quote]
As they say, have faith! Haha.  One of the reasons I stopped with my interest in Buddhism is the lack of a Supreme Creator God.  That's an integral part of my beliefs.

[QUOTE=nightwriterx;861980]I also have a son and daughter but mine are older.[/quote]
Awww :-)
My daughter is 2 in November, and my son is 6 months about 10 days later.

[QUOTE=nightwriterx;861980]I wonder, how much do you think having children fuels your wish to find a spiritual path? I know it's a huge part of my motivation.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I'd say a LOT.  The reason being, that I would like to give my kids something to believe as they grow up.  I don't want them to go into cults, or even into religions which I see as, well, dangerous.  It feels unfair not to bring my kids up with some form of religion.  It doesn't mean I want to force it upon them or anything, giving them the opportunity to change religion later on, but I would like to have little things like, "say your prayers before bed", "let's say grace", etc.  It just seems so much more... "fulfilling", I suppose. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 4:24PM #10
Nightwriterx
[QUOTE=InnocentOdion;862480]As they say, have faith! Haha.  One of the reasons I stopped with my interest in Buddhism is the lack of a Supreme Creator God.  That's an integral part of my beliefs.[/QUOTE]

Lol, yeah, I'm trying to have faith again! It's interesting that you left Buddhism behind because of the lack of God belief ... leaving gods out of the equation was actually what attracted me to Buddhism when I first left Christianity. Still today I'm not committed to Buddhism or anything, but I feel the influence of what I learned.

[QUOTE] Awww :-)
My daughter is 2 in November, and my son is 6 months about 10 days later.[/QUOTE]

I miss those ages! My son is 14 and my daughter is 9.

[QUOTE]Oh, I'd say a LOT.  The reason being, that I would like to give my kids something to believe as they grow up.  I don't want them to go into cults, or even into religions which I see as, well, dangerous.  It feels unfair not to bring my kids up with some form of religion.  It doesn't mean I want to force it upon them or anything, giving them the opportunity to change religion later on, but I would like to have little things like, "say your prayers before bed", "let's say grace", etc.  It just seems so much more... "fulfilling", I suppose. :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, my kids are quite motivating for me as well. I feel awful that I left my childhood religion and don't know exactly how to handle that with my kids. My husband is still Christian, so we try to keep things as stable as we can, but I'd really like to feel part of a tradition that I can share with the whole family. We still say prayers at bedtime, but that's about it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook