Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2008 - 1:45PM #1
totallytoomuch
This Verse my X told me about in King James Bible...Lev.18, Verse 22:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: It is Abomination............
This bother's me so so much. I am Catholic, my Mother put my younger sister and I in a Catholic convent when we were young for 3 years. I went to church all the time, prayed all the time, on my knees praying (the Rosary) when a Nun had died. On a wooden hardwood floor. So very hard livining in this Convent, my sister and I.
We were good kids. Alot of girls there, weren't such nice girls, that's why they were there. Beside the point, sorry I got carried away. The Sisters there were very nice, some very strict. For the most part, I have believed in God all my life. I pray every night to him. I have been gay since I was 14, I am not over 50. I know if God stood before me, he would not be upset with me for my preference...because I had been with boy's and men. I played the part liking boy's/men for my Mother. If I were straight, I would being that for others and society, not for myself. Being with a female pleases me and is my choice for loving in my life. I know God loves me no matter what, I am still one of his children. But, what is written in this Bible, is very upsetting to me to this day. I am still a tomboy like women. But, have been like a closet case all my life, because of how others think. I know being gay is so open now, which is good for all the gay people in the world. But, there is still those who dislike and hate it, and hate us. Which is so so wrong. It is our lives that we live it and it should be ours to like, love and enjoy. I like men, I've had and have some really nice straight/gay men friends. ok.
Can someone help me with this negative feeling that I have from this verse written in a Bible...please, thank you...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2008 - 1:56PM #2
ManzanitaBear
There are lots of interpretations of this verse.  That it means all sexual relationships between members of the same sex are wrong is only one--and obviously, your heart is telling you that isn't true.  Even if that is indeed what the original writer of that verse meant to say, it records only what people in that time, that place, and that culture believed about right and wrong, taboo and permitted.  The same book of the Bible also says not to eat pork, and most Christians do.

Above all, though, remember that the "thou" here is a man.  Male homosexuality is being banned--nothing whatsoever is said anywhere in the Bible about women lying with women.  And even the idea that this is a ban of male homosexuality is up for interpretation.  Some people have interpreted it to mean that men are to treat their male lovers better than their wives--wives in that culture were property of their husbands; men were equal to each other.  So "lying with mankind as with womankind" would have meant treating a male lover, who is your equal, as if he were your very unequal female lover.

Another interpretation--and I was very fascinated to hear this--is lived to this day in certain sects of Orthodox Judaism.  Men in those groups sometimes have sexual relationships with other men--and they don't see themselves as violating the Torah, because they interpret that verse as referring to sodomy.  As long as they don't do that, they see themselves being within the law.  These same men are usually married to women as well.  Again, by that interpretation, nothing is being said about female homosexuality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2008 - 2:02PM #3
totallytoomuch
Thank you for that reply Man. Bear.
As someone said to me too...
It was written so long ago...and ofcourse by a man...It's like for us women, look at this...
Menstral, Mental Health, Menopause, etc.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 1:58PM #4
sharon_bivens
What bothers me about this is that it "bothers" you.

When I feel convicted about something I feel I have done wrong, it bothers me...It bothers me every time I do it, or people around me do it, until I repent of it.
Then I am free of it.

I believe what is a sin for one might not be a sin for another (such as drinking, etc)...

Have you ever considered why you feel the way you do? 

Were you ever mistreated by a man, or a woman?

You need to find peace within yourself, and enjoy your life as is God's intent for us all.

Peace!

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 1:16PM #5
totallytoomuch
I ask myself the same question, why does that verse bother me. I think because, when my Mother found out, she was just awful about it. Ofcourse too, my Mother was a very classy, intelligent woman. But, on the other hand was an alcoholic. Just terrible. I mean when my sister and I were both under 10 yrs. old she brought us out here to CA. from MN. where we were born. She took me away from my Daddy, who I adore and love so much. I disliked/hated her for a long time. Also, when I was 11 yrs. old she had then made me the head of the household. I have an older brother, but, he stayed in MN. with my Dad. My Daddy died a few yrs. later. I didn't believe it when she got the call. I mean when I was in the convent I ran away from there to look for my Dad.
So pretty much I had to take care of many many things for her and my little sister and I were just the best of friends. She didn't understand nor does she remember alot, she was 4 yrs. younger than I.
Because my Mom was drunk so much, I needed to do quite a bit. My Mother had a Career and went to work all the time ofcourse. We moved alot too. You had asked if I'd been hurt by a man or women. I was raped when I was 5, and molested several times, then a date rape when I was a teenager. I got pregnant......etc.
Women, I've had some heartaches in my relationships. You know I pray everynight like I said. I always ask God to Bless so many people. But, now I've been asking him to give me a special Blessing, because I'm really tired of it all. I've told my sister and friends for so many years...
GOD thinks I'm the Rock of Gibralter. I'm the Strong one in my family...but, that has changed a little bit.
I may be 60 yrs. old, but, I still look and feel younger. GOOD THING...I hate aging. I am a confident person for the most part. BUT...
So, there you have it............I did get carried away on the question you asked...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 1:16PM #6
totallytoomuch
I ask myself the same question, why does that verse bother me. I think because, when my Mother found out, she was just awful about it. Ofcourse too, my Mother was a very classy, intelligent woman. But, on the other hand was an alcoholic. Just terrible. I mean when my sister and I were both under 10 yrs. old she brought us out here to CA. from MN. where we were born. She took me away from my Daddy, who I adore and love so much. I disliked/hated her for a long time. Also, when I was 11 yrs. old she had then made me the head of the household. I have an older brother, but, he stayed in MN. with my Dad. My Daddy died a few yrs. later. I didn't believe it when she got the call. I mean when I was in the convent I ran away from there to look for my Dad.
So pretty much I had to take care of many many things for her and my little sister and I were just the best of friends. She didn't understand nor does she remember alot, she was 4 yrs. younger than I.
Because my Mom was drunk so much, I needed to do quite a bit. My Mother had a Career and went to work all the time ofcourse. We moved alot too. You had asked if I'd been hurt by a man or women. I was raped when I was 5, and molested several times, then a date rape when I was a teenager. I got pregnant......etc.
Women, I've had some heartaches in my relationships. You know I pray everynight like I said. I always ask God to Bless so many people. But, now I've been asking him to give me a special Blessing, because I'm really tired of it all. I've told my sister and friends for so many years...
GOD thinks I'm the Rock of Gibralter. I'm the Strong one in my family...but, that has changed a little bit.
I may be 60 yrs. old, but, I still look and feel younger. GOOD THING...I hate aging. I am a confident person for the most part. BUT...
So, there you have it............I did get carried away on the question you asked...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 7:06AM #7
sallum
[COLOR=blue]I know if God stood before me, he would not be upset with me for my preference...because I had been with boy's and men. [/COLOR]

If your God will not be upset with you and you are against HIS Law (Nature) see if the people of this planet will become Gays what will happen to the Human's line? Please try to put it in your imagination.  You are totally with miss use,

Secondly how your God will face the fine people (straight) when HE deals same way for both achievements the bad deed and good deed.?

Is it Justice? Sure it is not.

You claim. No upset with you and you followed your desire (preference) and the others did stand against their unlawful desire in against to please their God and to win with His satisfy and win His reward.

Do you see God will be Justice if He would deal with both cases same way? NO WAY God is Justice.

[COLOR=blue]I played the part liking boy's/men for my Mother. If I were straight, I would being that for others and society, not for myself. Being with a female pleases me and is my choice for loving in my life.[/COLOR]

This is the normal Issue for every Human been, Man to woman family does approach here.

[COLOR=blue]I know God loves me no matter what, I am still one of his children. But, what is written in this Bible, is very upsetting to me to this day. I am still a tomboy like women.[/COLOR]

How do you know that?  This is the silliest conclusion I ever heard. God never had children because of such like you But He had Slaves,  and slaves are good and bad.

If HE do Loves you so what He would do for the straight people,.. Hate them!!!?

Gay Wake-up and ask for forgiveness .

Yes God loves you to regret and ask for forgiveness and to go straight Honest all along your remain days, never stop begging him for Mercy then HE will love you..

[COLOR=blue]But, have been like a closet case all my life, because of how others think.[/COLOR]

NO, not like that,…   since it is completely WRONG,   you had it closet case all over your past life, that's why, because it is wrong "[COLOR=red]shame" ….  stop fooling your self. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]I know being gay is so open now, which is good for all the gay people in the world. But, there is still those who dislike and hate it, and hate us. Which is so so wrong. [/COLOR]

You are claiming it as wrong, just because it is against your sick desire?

[COLOR=blue]It is our lives that we live it and it should be ours to like, love and enjoy.[/COLOR]

Like the fox jumped again and again  to reach the nice grapes above his head but he failed, and he felt he will never catch them,  he said  : it is not raped yet then he left away. 

From another side it will be Ok, no problem since you will carry its sin, then you will  never wait for any safety out of this Dirty. 

[COLOR=blue] I like men, I've had and have some really nice straight/gay men friends.[/COLOR]

I do not know what "nice straight" you are talking about?
[COLOR=blue] ok.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Can someone help me with this negative feeling that I have from this verse written in a Bible...please, thank you..
[/COLOR]

If you feel it  from your heart  honest to God that this is lawful no harm so it is as what you do feel it.

sallum
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 11:30AM #8
sharon_bivens
I can see why your mother reacted the way she did.  Back in her day everything was a little smoother on the surface.  Everything was the same, just hidden.  Yes?

To live an out and honest life must have thrown her for a loop, or given her a better reason to have another drink, huh?  ;)

We have reached the time in our lives (I am turning 55 in July) where I feel we do not have to change or try to fix the world.  I have cried over people, and given so much of myself to other's causes, while ignoring my own until I was at my wits end.

My daughter told me finally, "Mom, you can not fix everybody or everything."  I was angry at first, but when it finally soaked in to my thick skull, I felt the weight of the world fall off of me.

Relax.  Be happy every day (just for spite)  lol. 

Ignore the human judgments and look for peace within yourself.

God bless,

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 2:25PM #9
totallytoomuch
Thank you for your post Sharon. The post before you....geeeeeezzzzzz......no comment.
I love to help others too, and sometimes I just do too much. I take care of others more than I do myself. But, it doesn't bother me at all. I love it. I want to rescue everyone and help them and all that. My sister tell's me you don't have to rescue everyone. I mean if someone has a question or problem or whatever...I go on the Internet and research for hours if need be. Not a bother to me at all...that's just who I am. Thank you once again Sharon for the support you gave. That's what I needed. Feeling down and upset about anything, is no fun, ever.
Some day I will get rid of this negative I have on my mind. I'm generally a positive person. Happy Birthday by the way. I had my B-Day April 17th. Have a great day and God Bless.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 2:36PM #10
sharon_bivens
Thank you for the birthday greeting.  :)  And, happy birthday to you, too! 

I do know now that you must love yourself more and be kind to yourself.  Take good care of yourself so you are able to then reachout to others....

I, too, for most of my life put others before myself....I get down sometimes to where I have no decent shoes to wear or pants, etc.   :)  I never think about those things, unless I need them. 

It is great to help people, when you can....but you must be true to yourself. 

God's blessings,

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook