Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
9 years ago  ::  May 22, 2008 - 3:38PM #31
NotAnAtheistMama
I don't think of it as being lied to.  One, she didn't have that view when I was growing up.  At least she didn't raise me on it.  So it's not like I've felt she's lied to me.  I think she's deluded, but that's her belief.  As it stands, I don't think it hurts her to believe in Creationism.  It's not like people who don't believe in modern medicine because all illness has to be healed through faith.  She's not like that!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 22, 2008 - 6:52PM #32
ElCid22
[QUOTE=NotAnAtheistMama;516768]That's why I find the Jewish way of looking at the bible interesting.  The bible is supposed to be looked at in four ways.  I can't remember all of them, exactly, but historically and figuratively are two of the ways.  Reform Jews, at least, do not take the bible literally.  Or at least, they agree that some of it may be a historically-correct account of their people, but it's certainly up for interpretation too.  The stories all have another meaning besides what's on the surface.  You have to understand the time and place (context) in which it was written to understand some of it, then you have to delve deeper because the walls of Jericho are not just the walls of Jericho, if you catch my drift. 

Not like my mother, the fundamentalist nut-job.  She believes that the earth is only like 5,000 some-odd years old.  God just created an earth with bones of animals and people and city walls that never existed buried in the dirt.  Just to throw us off, I guess. 

The catholic church just announced last week that there is nothing in the bible that is against the existence of life on other planets, so the official church position is that aliens may exist.  They also recently announced that eveolution was not against church doctrine; that God works in mysterious ways.

The catholic church is more scientifically enlightened than my mother.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes.....Catholicism reconciled Science with Christianity during the High Middle Ages by incorporating neo-Platonic philosophy into its theological framework (e.g., Scholasticism). Moreover, believe it or not, the Catholic perspective on the Bible very much resembles the way you just described Jewish hermeneutics.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook