Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Have I Reached Enlightenment?
10 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 9:04PM #1
janfow365
I've tried searching for so many months now, but it's been hard to find anyone who is experiencing what I'm experiencing at this point in my life... so if anyone out there who can relate, please comment, I would love to share this sense of being...to know I'm not alone in this, or to know that what is happening to me is happening to others.

For the past few months, my spiritual journey has been taking an incredible and yet extraordinary turn. I was raised a protestant christian as a child, but since then I have re-started my journey to find my own truth. Where it has taken me in the last few months I cannot explain, at least not to loved ones and the majority of people who seem too inept to understand the spiritual transformation I have been going through (especially with me being so young - 27).

I don't preport to hear voices, or know gods, or any of that, but I have been sensing an intense communion with something larger then us, perhaps another plane, another being, maybe even God. I've had similar experiences as a child, but as of recent, they have intesified to a sense of being that I hope will continue for the rest of my life.

I am having, above all, periods of intense elation and love for all things - more then the norm. I have yearnings to kiss, hold, and comfort perfect strangers. I could weep when I see the beauty of a leaf on a tree. I smile every time I hear children's laughter. I can feel an intense feeling of empathy and love coursing through my veins. On top of all that, there is someone who is visiting me periodically, like a sixth sense I can feel it. I don't know if it's God, or an angel, or a spirit - but whoever or whatever it is, has blessed me beyond measure. I have such intense feelings of being in love, coursing through me, for no apparent reason, I feel like I am getting to experience Nirvana or some equivelent without even trying.

I seek knowledge only, to help me on my way. I only wish everyone could feel the way I feel at night, when I fall asleep, touched by what could very well be an angel, or the hand of God.

- J
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 6:12AM #2
DotNotInOz
While this may seem to be debunking what you state you're experiencing, I don't mean it that way.

I'd suggest if you haven't thought to do so that you get a complete physical, mentioning to your doctor your feelings of intense emotion. Such can be symptoms of serious hormone imbalances and some brain disorders.

Ruling out possible organic causes would seem to me to be an important first step before concluding that one has in fact reached enlightenment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:35AM #3
I_Stand_Unabashed
I think that there are points in life in which we feel extremes on both levels. It seems that you have reached a point where you "get it", that everything is indeed precious, and you celebrate that. That is good. But remember that many people, not due to their own fault or doing, are still stuck within a bubble of unhappiness. Life can be hard like that, they don't see the same joy that you are now seeing.

It is a good thing that you have reached this point. Write about it, somehow try to express it creatively. Because in every spiritual journey, there are both highs and lows. There will come a day when you are in the valley again, but if you can clearly remember what the mountaintop looked like, it will make it eaiser for you to get there again.

Blessings. What you describe sounds almost like being in love. You have fallen in love with the course of life, something many people rarely do. Realize that this kind of love can fade at times, just like eros can. But that doesn't mean you can't get it back, just do not dispair when the lessons of life take you into darker places. It's all a part of the journey.

Celebrate your mountaintop experience, record it for posterity as well as your own benefit.

-Unabashed
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:20AM #4
janfow365
Thank you for you insight. I do not believe there is anything physically wrong with me. I've gone through periods of this in my life before, seemingly unconnected to what's going on in my life. This sense of eupohoria is something that has not been dwindling, ebbing and flowing, but something that has intensified over the last few months - like some sort of awakening. I feel as if there is much farther to go - like this is just a beginning, a very blessed one, but a beginning. There are times it feels as if I am just pering around an opening door - I need only to meditate and concentrate on the life energy around me to open it more. It is exciting beyond measure.

As to it's coming and going, yes, I have had episodes of similar experience in my life (right from the time I was a child), but nothing this clear or intense. It does edge on the feeling of being in love - with everything. I've wondered if this is simply my next step in getting closer to the Christ consciousness dormant in all of us. Perhaps a connection to the higher plane which I have finally started to explore through experience. Either way, it is has been an incredible experience so far, one that I hope to venture into further.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 4:12PM #5
spiritheart
J....wonderful place to be in...I can relate and can only add that what ever it is you are experiencing keep riding the 'wave' as it were... you just might be in a state that many may not be able to give you any insights...without interjecting a 'belief system'.    just yesterday after a series of little synchronicities...I too felt like hugging the world....and wanted to yell out " catch the wave, its here!"... this morning though I feel very good that 'high' has receded...this has occurred many times through out my life so...just let go to it...what ever is happening...we need more people to actually grab on to this 'spiritual happiness and joy.'  and we begin to really see that those things we tend to worry so much about...really are meaningless..compared to the joy spirit can reinforce in us...and I say reinforce because its always there...we just get to caught up in other things that defer our attention.  Since the mid 1980's  many numbers of people are feeling what you are, perhaps we can describe it as Love for All Creation...and this is growing exponentially...

The number 33 seems to be a key component to this growth.

thanks for sharing...I love to hear stories of people having peace-filled moments... may it always continue...j
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:09PM #6
NotAnAtheistMama
Have you ever read "The Revelations of Divine Love" by Julian of Norwich?  It's readily available in paperback.  She was a medieval mystic and anchorite (she had herself walled into a cell in a nunnery with just a window to speak through).  You might find your feelings to be akin to hers.  Although, recognize that she is coming from the medieval Catholic church, so many of the things she sees are flavored by that.  For instance, medieval religious people were really hung up on the suffering of Christ.  I mean, to read their literature, you'd think they were fixated on blood and whip gouges.  Modern people find that terribly odd, but that's just a product of the culture at the time.  I guess because life was short and usually painful, medieval people really identified with Christ suffering in the flesh as they did.  So, don't get turned off by that when you read her stuff, because she's just seeing the stuff that she identifies the most with.  After all, she was on her death-bed when she got most (or all--can't remember) of her revelations.  Obviously she recovered and lived to talk about them, but she was very sick and in pain when she saw Christ, so I don't think it's surprising that she saw his pain too and described it in detail for her audience. 

Also, you might look at the "Book of Margery Kempe."  Also readily available in paperback.  Also a medieval woman--she actually talked to Julian of Norwich a few times.  Margery tells of her life and how spiritual visions came to her throughout most of it.  She experienced a lot of emotion, like you describe.  She would weep to see babies because they reminded her so of the beauty of the Christ-child.  In fact, she'd get hysterical at times (more so the older she got).  Unlike Julian, who was revered in her own times (people still wonder why she wasn't canonized), poor Margery drew mixed reviews.  Either people believed whole-heartedly in her, or thought she was just for show.  Most modern readers write her off as some hormonally crazy woman, but I don't get that from her.  She certainly believed her visions were genuine, and if she's being honest in telling her story, others did too.  In fact, one priest even told her that he knew of a saint--I think she was Swedish--who was reported to burst into loud tears and great emotion and she was believed to have been having genuine visions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:09PM #7
NotAnAtheistMama
Have you ever read "The Revelations of Divine Love" by Julian of Norwich?  It's readily available in paperback.  She was a medieval mystic and anchorite (she had herself walled into a cell in a nunnery with just a window to speak through).  You might find your feelings to be akin to hers.  Although, recognize that she is coming from the medieval Catholic church, so many of the things she sees are flavored by that.  For instance, medieval religious people were really hung up on the suffering of Christ.  I mean, to read their literature, you'd think they were fixated on blood and whip gouges.  Modern people find that terribly odd, but that's just a product of the culture at the time.  I guess because life was short and usually painful, medieval people really identified with Christ suffering in the flesh as they did.  So, don't get turned off by that when you read her stuff, because she's just seeing the stuff that she identifies the most with.  After all, she was on her death-bed when she got most (or all--can't remember) of her revelations.  Obviously she recovered and lived to talk about them, but she was very sick and in pain when she saw Christ, so I don't think it's surprising that she saw his pain too and described it in detail for her audience. 

Also, you might look at the "Book of Margery Kempe."  Also readily available in paperback.  Also a medieval woman--she actually talked to Julian of Norwich a few times.  Margery tells of her life and how spiritual visions came to her throughout most of it.  She experienced a lot of emotion, like you describe.  She would weep to see babies because they reminded her so of the beauty of the Christ-child.  In fact, she'd get hysterical at times (more so the older she got).  Unlike Julian, who was revered in her own times (people still wonder why she wasn't canonized), poor Margery drew mixed reviews.  Either people believed whole-heartedly in her, or thought she was just for show.  Most modern readers write her off as some hormonally crazy woman, but I don't get that from her.  She certainly believed her visions were genuine, and if she's being honest in telling her story, others did too.  In fact, one priest even told her that he knew of a saint--I think she was Swedish--who was reported to burst into loud tears and great emotion and she was believed to have been having genuine visions.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook