Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 5:08AM #1
toddb
I lost my job and I am feeling a lot of fear around having enough money to pay my bills. I am extremely embarrassed by this situation and want nothing more than to be employed. I'm even willing to work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. I have a great resume and I have applied to all sorts of jobs, but I'm full of fear and very worried about what will happen if I don't find a job. I've been on some interviews and have had recruiters call, however, nothing seems to pan out.

I applied for unemployment (the employer is contesting my claim) and I'm still waiting to hear the outcome. I understand that we get an economic stimulus check soon enough, however, that won't be enough. I was very poor for a significant part of my life and was homeless for a year, years later. I would be lying if I told you that this period of unemployment didn't stimulate my past.

I'm told that this is the time where your faith is tested. I wish I had faith. I have watched The Secret and can wrap my brain around the ideal and the ideas, however, I seem to be missing something. I'm sure that I'll have a job eventually, however, I don't have faith that this will work out. I often feel jealous of people who have faith. I believe that something exists, however, I don't have a live connection to the Universe.

I have tried to focus on the future and be excited about what can and will happen. I have all sorts of things I want to do - it seems to me that I need to continue to do that as focusing on how I feel and my current situation doesn't feel good.

I'm really looking for any sort of feedback, prayer, or direction. If you want to pray for me I'm okay with that. If you have some ideas that might help me manifest what I want, I'm okay with that as well. If you have any ideas as to how I can apply the law of attraction and what I might be missing, I am all ears.

While I do feel alone and I don't have any family, I know I am not the only person to have this experience. I am feeling very sad, discouraged and scared.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or support you throw my way.

T
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 11:24PM #2
Sara333
Dear Todd, I have some answers for you but they may not work overnight. I love it when you ask about how to make the Law of Attraction or the Secret work for you---because that seems to suggest that you realize there's more to it than they say in those books, yet the basic idea of having faith & getting what you pray for _is_ a valid truth that you don't want to just forget about altogether. ANwyay, I'm in the process of writing a book called _Petitioning God: What I _Really_ Had to Do to Get My Prayers Answered_, & I think it speaks to just the concern you're talking about. And you don't have to wait for the book to come out because I've put the basics of my discoveries on my website & blog at petitioninggod.com. So I hope you'll visit it, and feel free to write me about anything you want.

Also, I am praying for you, for what that's worth, but I think most petitionary prayer has to be done by the person themselves, as you seem to recognize.

God bless you!

Sara
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 8:34AM #3
Spirit-Wind
Todd - For starters,  have just said a prayer for you.  I know what it is like to be afraid....especially RE: money issues.  Check out Sara's website.  She has been working on these ideas for years.  I suggest that you get yourself a network of people.  Do not do this alone.  There can be people who pray for you, people who comfort you, and even people who can help you get a job....or pay bills. 

You are not alone.  Keep doing your inner and outer work and keep reaching out to others, as you did by starting this thread.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:49AM #4
I_Stand_Unabashed
I agree Todd, you are not alone. I too have experienced times of extreme poverty and want in my life, and I know what it feels like to be desperate, and to have circumstances stacked so high against you. Last year I had a stroke and lost my job due to what was pretty much harassment from a superior (I was too weak to even sue). I had to do temp work, and with each paycheck, I had to choose between medicine, bills, and food. One of my prescriptions cost 25% of what I was making. I couldn't even afford to file bankruptcy, which I honestly need to do.

I feel you, that fear, that extreme difficulty. Every day I wondered when things would get better. But I can tell you this: life is a cycle of both good and bad. It may sound cliche, but eventually things will improve. Even if you do not think you deserve the dream, dream anyway. That dream will keep you alive, my friend.

If you focus on the dwindling pennies, on the calls that are not coming in, and on your current situation, you will only cause yourself more pain. I understand that struggle with faith, I have been there as well. The only thing I can tell you, is to do what you can each day, and rest within that. You are doing everything that you can, and that is all you can do. Even though it doesn' t seem like it, it is enough.

My situation was very difficult, and there are more obstacles ahead. But when I look back on how things turned out, I realize that had I not gone through what I did, I would not have what I do.

Set your goals in increments each day. Perhaps setting a limit on the jobs you are going to apply to each day, and once you've reached that limit, rest and congratulate yourself for the goal you've reached. Sometimes we are so results-oriented, and we are looking too far into the future. Have you tried putting your resume on craigslist (if you live in the US)? My phone practically exploded for the one week that I did do that. They're actually more effective than many of the job websites out there, especially if you live near a large metropolitain area. Try them, if you haven't already. Put your resume out there, re-post it every three days or so, and apply to some of the jobs you see there.

I know it's terribly difficult, but try not to focus on your want, rather look at what you do have. It may not be much, but it's still yours, and no matter what your struggles may be, you are still a blessed being deserving of much good, and so long as you remember that, you will end up attracting that good which you so ardently deserve.

Hang in there. I hope that you are coping well today.

-Unabashed
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook