Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2011 - 4:41PM #51
Svetlana

Jan 21, 2011 -- 1:22AM, Tlcoopi7 wrote:

I been starting wearing long skirts for spiritural reasons, even though it is cold in Illinois right now, but I got that taken care of by the use of panty hose and tights, some I bought already and some are being ordered and shipped to me, due to my size. The church that I started attending require all females to wear long skirts and thankfully, I knew about that before I started attending because I went to school with two of those ladies.

There is nothing spiritual about the clothes you wear (for Pete's sake!), just rules by religious organizations.  There's nothing wrong with such rules, they just don't have anything to do with your spiritual well-being, that's all.  If they did, you'd have no spirituality at all when taking a shower, and that's just silly.

As to staying warm, make sure your skirts are thick and made of warm material, and wear high boots under them, high enough that your hem covers them, with thick socks in the boots if they are not  warmly lined.  Wear a long coat, too, and that way all the length of your legs will be covered by warm layers.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2011 - 6:05PM #52
Tlcoopi7

Jan 28, 2011 -- 4:41PM, Svetlana wrote:

Jan 21, 2011 -- 1:22AM, Tlcoopi7 wrote:

I been starting wearing long skirts for spiritural reasons, even though it is cold in Illinois right now, but I got that taken care of by the use of panty hose and tights, some I bought already and some are being ordered and shipped to me, due to my size. The church that I started attending require all females to wear long skirts and thankfully, I knew about that before I started attending because I went to school with two of those ladies.

There is nothing spiritual about the clothes you wear (for Pete's sake!), just rules by religious organizations.  There's nothing wrong with such rules, they just don't have anything to do with your spiritual well-being, that's all.  If they did, you'd have no spirituality at all when taking a shower, and that's just silly.

As to staying warm, make sure your skirts are thick and made of warm material, and wear high boots under them, high enough that your hem covers them, with thick socks in the boots if they are not  warmly lined.  Wear a long coat, too, and that way all the length of your legs will be covered by warm layers.

When I mentioned for spritual reasons for wearing the skirts, the clarifiation is that I feel that God wants me to be a woman for God, not a woman of the world, and both my dress and actions should reflect on that because people would noticed both my dress and actions a lot better than words alone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 3:54PM #53
Svetlana

Jan 28, 2011 -- 6:05PM, Tlcoopi7 wrote:

When I mentioned for spritual reasons for wearing the skirts, the clarifiation is that I feel that God wants me to be a woman for God, not a woman of the world, and both my dress and actions should reflect on that because people would noticed both my dress and actions a lot better than words alone.

It's nice that you want to please God, but He doesn't care whether you are a man or a woman, that's not the part of you that matters.  (Besides, the difference is MUCH clearer if we all run around naked, so maybe that's not the argument you want to make. Wink ) God knows even better than you do exactly how He made you, and, as your last comment shows, you are doing this for humans.

Just don't confuse this with anything to do with God directly.  The Bible passage you quoted had nothing to do with every-day wear.  Remember that at the time it was written, both men and women wore long gowns, so the only way not to dress like a man was to wear pants (not yet invented) or again, to go naked.  The female garments referred to in the passage were probably veils and perhaps some small articles of adornment, like a style of jewelry no man wore.  The, er, "things pertaining to men" were NOT clothes, since both sexes wore long gowns, those things caused women to appear much more directly as men, if you get my drift.  The prohibition was addressing the practices of certain pagan religions, and it was those religions, and their forms of worship, that God's people were to avoid.  This passage is ALWAYS taken out of context by church leaders who, for some completely mysterious reason, think that the writer of that passage was referring specifically to 1950's American styles.  Go figure.

By the way, if you're going to take the passage literally, then you cannot wear underwear or stockings or tights.  They were all exclusively worn by men hundreds of years before women ever began to wear them.

Again, there is nothing at all wrong with wearing only long skirts, just remember that that is not what was meant in the passage and is only a man-made rule based on taking that passage so far out of context, it loses its real meaning altogether.  At the time it was written, men and women BOTH wore long gowns, so every-day wear cannot possibly have been meant.  God isn't the least bit interested in what you are wearing, He cares only for what is inside your heart and mind.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 8:50PM #54
Tlcoopi7

Jan 29, 2011 -- 3:54PM, Svetlana wrote:

Jan 28, 2011 -- 6:05PM, Tlcoopi7 wrote:

It's nice that you want to please God, but He doesn't care whether you are a man or a woman, that's not the part of you that matters.  (Besides, the difference is MUCH clearer if we all run around naked, so maybe that's not the argument you want to make. Wink ) God knows even better than you do exactly how He made you, and, as your last comment shows, you are doing this for humans.

Just don't confuse this with anything to do with God directly.  The Bible passage you quoted had nothing to do with every-day wear.  Remember that at the time it was written, both men and women wore long gowns, so the only way not to dress like a man was to wear pants (not yet invented) or again, to go naked.  The female garments referred to in the passage were probably veils and perhaps some small articles of adornment, like a style of jewelry no man wore.  The, er, "things pertaining to men" were NOT clothes, since both sexes wore long gowns, those things caused women to appear much more directly as men, if you get my drift.  The prohibition was addressing the practices of certain pagan religions, and it was those religions, and their forms of worship, that God's people were to avoid.  This passage is ALWAYS taken out of context by church leaders who, for some completely mysterious reason, think that the writer of that passage was referring specifically to 1950's American styles.  Go figure.

By the way, if you're going to take the passage literally, then you cannot wear underwear or stockings or tights.  They were all exclusively worn by men hundreds of years before women ever began to wear them.

Again, there is nothing at all wrong with wearing only long skirts, just remember that that is not what was meant in the passage and is only a man-made rule based on taking that passage so far out of context, it loses its real meaning altogether.  At the time it was written, men and women BOTH wore long gowns, so every-day wear cannot possibly have been meant.  God isn't the least bit interested in what you are wearing, He cares only for what is inside your heart and mind.

When people first meet someone, the first thing that they noticed is what the person is wearing and gets their first impression based on what they are wearing. Like for example, if a woman dressed like a hooker and a man comes towards her, his first impression would be, "she looks like as if she wanted sex," not "she is living her life for God." If that end result of the first encounter results in rape, the man would even say "well, she was asking for it based on her dress" to the cops and at the trial, his defense lawyer would even ask the woman what she even wore on the night that she got raped. To the man that sees a woman dressed like a hooker, he only sees her as a sexual object, not as a person. In a way, dressing in a modest way helps women protect themselves and to allow men to see them as people, not sexual objects.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2011 - 3:47PM #55
Svetlana

Jan 29, 2011 -- 8:50PM, Tlcoopi7 wrote:

When people first meet someone, the first thing that they noticed is what the person is wearing and gets their first impression based on what they are wearing. Like for example, if a woman dressed like a hooker and a man comes towards her, his first impression would be, "she looks like as if she wanted sex," not "she is living her life for God." If that end result of the first encounter results in rape, the man would even say "well, she was asking for it based on her dress" to the cops and at the trial, his defense lawyer would even ask the woman what she even wore on the night that she got raped. To the man that sees a woman dressed like a hooker, he only sees her as a sexual object, not as a person. In a way, dressing in a modest way helps women protect themselves and to allow men to see them as people, not sexual objects.

Well, of course, but I didn't think we were discussing what clothing symbolizes in our current culture, but rather whether God cares whether women wear pants or skirts.  If you are saying that to wear pants is to dress as a whore, then your standards are so very far removed from the standards of most people that we will be unable to communicate without a translation dictionary.  There are many people who consider skirts to be less modest than pants, because they provide, er, "easier access" to the woman.  All of that is merely cultural symbolism and has nothing to do with God's preferences in clothing.  Many current cultures DO consider pants to be more modest clothing for women, but that, too, is a cultural preference.

If you are sending a signal to God about yourself by wearing a skirt, then that is what He will understand when you do wear one.  Just don't make the mistake of assuming you know what signal another woman is sending by her attire.  You will almost certainly be wrong, and we are forbidden to judge such things anyway.  Your signals are your own and have nothing to do with anyone else.  Some women feel they are DIS-honoring God by wearing skirts rather than pants, and they are exactly as right as you are, because their signals to Him are their own, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 4:44PM #56
karbie

That "What were you wearing the night you were raped?" question isn't relevant when you consider that rape is more about having complete power over someone more than it is about the act of sex. Rapists frequently have girlfriends or wives. Prosecutors used to be able to use this classic question: "Have you stopped beating your wife? Answer yes or no." if the man answered yes, he'd just admitted he used to beat his wife, and if he answered no, it meant he was still beating her. This line of questioning is no  longer permitted for obvious reasons.

If the woman was asleep in her own bed when a man broke in and raped her, did she deserve it if she was wearing a gown or nude but not in sight of someone outside her house or property? What about those who focus on women in the 70--90 year old age bracket?

Date rape? Spousal rape? Those used to be unclassified areas in my own lifetime, and I'm only 56. The concept was that if you had ever had consensual sex with someone, they couldn't tell them "No" later. So if an ex whatever had been abusive, turned into a stalker...it didn't count.

God's interest is in your soul, that spark of spirit that keeps our bodies alive. With so many other people, countries, and religions praying for water, food, staying alive another day--I don't think keeping track of what the current fashions are.

The idea that what a woman wearing makes her responsible for a man not keeping it in his kilt, gown, caftan, slacks and raping her is saying that men have no control over themselves. That same tired old defense has been around forever. Used to be just a glimpse of ankle was enough to "drive men wild'. ..right. And 'She went and got herself pregnant' That's at least possible now, but it has certainly been around a long, long time.

If you are wearing a longer skirt to honor God, fine. If you are eating a skirt to show others how much closer you are to God than they are when they are wearing slacks, jeans, shorter skirts than yours...I think you need to figure out why you think clothing is the way to cut ahead of them in line to God. He created us naked and we got kicked out for disobeying him and wearing clothing to hide parts of our bodies.

I was on a list of "possible subversives" in high school because I wore slacks to school after it became allowed. That was in 1970 and my miniskirts and dresses had been fine. My bus stop for school was 3 blocks from my house and my bus left us off 3 blocks from the school. i lived in Indiana and my only purpose was to keep warm and not fall on ice in a skirt because once had been quite enough.

And being allowed to stay warm was a prayer answered where I was concerned.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook