Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Creative Visualization
7 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 9:39AM #1
Spirit-Wind
Sometimes I use visualization as a prayer, or as part of a prayer.  For instance, I enjoy using my imagination to place myself in the New Jerusalem as depicted in the end of Revelation.  I will sometimes picture things that are less concrete, but loving and illuminating.  Does anyone else enjoy this method of prayer?  What do you visualize?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 3:18AM #2
Sara333
I definitely use visualization as part of prayer, such as imagining conversations or situations playing out well because I asked God faithfully to make them play out well. But i've never had the yen to imagine myself in the apocalyptic future, I don't think. Maybe I'm just not as creative as you are!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 8:27PM #3
Spirit-Wind
[QUOTE=Sara333;411729]I definitely use visualization as part of prayer, such as imagining conversations or situations playing out well because I asked God faithfully to make them play out well. But i've never had the yen to imagine myself in the apocalyptic future, I don't think. Maybe I'm just not as creative as you are![/QUOTE]

Trust me.  It is the peaceful part at the end of Revelation, with the River of Life glistening as crystal!  I don't visualize the violent stuff.  That's what Charles Bronson movies are for.  LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 10:50PM #4
Sara333
hahaha. I guess what I meant was that I never have the desire to escape from the here & now, which is what I thought you were doing by visiting the new Jerusalem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 9:48AM #5
Spirit-Wind
[QUOTE=Sara333;416319]hahaha. I guess what I meant was that I never have the desire to escape from the here & now, which is what I thought you were doing by visiting the new Jerusalem.[/QUOTE]

I get ya now.  It is an approach that I got from Pure Land Buddhism.  They have something very similar to the Christian view of heaven that they call the Pure Land.  It is a land with trees covered in jewels.  It is a beautiful image.  One of their most common meditations is to meditate upon the Pure Land....place themselves in it. 

You bring up a point that I had not considered.  Some would experience this as escapism.  I don't.  Hey,  the beauty of visualization is that we get to be the artist. 

Peace and Blessings!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 5:46AM #6
Sara333
Interesting---and I think I get YOU now, too. I certainly believe wholeheartedly in meditation, although i don't feel the need to practice it systematically myself. And Buddhism is wonderful in every form in which I've ever encountered it, although that's admittedly not many. In fact, I've never heard of Pure Land Buddhism.

BTW, are you familiar at all with Thich Nat Hanh, a Vietnames Buddhist monk who writes a lot of books for westerners? A couple of years ago I stumbled upon his THE ENERGY OF PRAYER: HOW TO DEEPEN YOUR SPIRITUAL PRACTICE, and liked it so much that I keep copies on hand to give to people when I think they could benefit from it!

Blessings on you & yours as well!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 8:28AM #7
Spirit-Wind
Thich Nat Hanh is great.  I have his Being Peace book.  Wonderful stuff.  This book helped me when I was having a crisis in belief and identity.  I used to be an anti-war protestor.  But I noticed how unpeaceful so many of my cohorts were.  In Being Peace, he addressed this!  He pointed out how angry protestors tend to be.  Anger brings about more anger.  (law of attraction)  He wrote that protestors are good at writing angry protest letters to world leaders.  He wrote that they need to stop writing angry letters, and start writing love letters.  (law of attraction). 

Didn't mean to get political.  But Thich Nat Hanh has blessed me and helped me through a difficult time. 

How is the book coming?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 8:44PM #8
Spirit-Wind
Thanks Valentine.  Your post came at just the right time.  There is so much negativity and fighting on b-net.  I was starting to feel worn down.  Thanks again for your words of light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 6:19AM #9
Sara333
Guess I'm just out of it, but what negativity and fighting are you speaking of? I guess you mean when strict religious people take nonstrict religious people to task for not being strict enough? MAny times I think those strict types wouldn't even let Jesus into their church if he appeared today because he wouldn't be dressed right and he'd be hanging out with the wrong people!

Didn't mean to get so far off the subject of this thread!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 4:31PM #10
Spirit-Wind
Sara  - No.  Not strict religous types. I was writing about my past as an anti-war, and other, protestor.  People fighting for social justice and peace are often very unkind and filled with anger.  It is my opinion, that many use the role of prophetic voice as a mask for their weakness at interpresonal relations.  To put it more bluntly, I've found many who pride themselves on being prophetic voices to be nothing more than self-rightous jerks.  Read Being Peace by Thich Nat Hanh.  He has been involved in protest movements.  He has seen it first hand.  He describes it really well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook