Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Vegetarian to Vegan
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 9:14PM #1
Agnes
After 26 or more years as a vegetarian I made the switch to Vegan about a month ago.  The only problem I have run into is eating out.  I live in a small ranching community, being a vegetarian was difficult here but being a Vegan is a true challenge.

I have found some great cookbooks though.  Vegan Planet is one that I really like.

Any suggestions on making the transition?

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 1:07PM #2
Angel_Link
Eating out is definitely the hardest part about being vegan. My suggestion is to think of it this way - most people only eat so many foods anyway (we tend to have small palates), so pick a handful of places you know have vegan options and then you won't be stuck wringing your hands over where to go for lunch or dinner.

For example, I always get the 7 layer burrito with no cheese or sour cream at Taco Bell, their fresco options also take away all the dairy products they use as well. You favorite chinese place will have steamed veggies and rice or tofu lomein or certainly one or two vegan options. You get the picture..

For some reason, knowing a number of dishes and restaurants you can go to and be vegan makes it much easier because there's no long debate over where to go.. just do some research online - almost all fast food restaurants have their menus posted on their websites - and then you'll be set the next time some says, 'Let's do lunch!'
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 8:55PM #3
That One Guy

Agnes wrote:

After 26 or more years as a vegetarian I made the switch to Vegan about a month ago.  The only problem I have run into is eating out.  I live in a small ranching community, being a vegetarian was difficult here but being a Vegan is a true challenge.

I have found some great cookbooks though.  Vegan Planet is one that I really like.

Any suggestions on making the transition?

Thanks.

I have found that most restaurants will try to accommodate you because they want your business.
However, depending on your motives for becoming Vegan this can present a few interesting situations. Veganism is a principled lifestyle for most of the folks I know who are vegan. They wouldn't even dream of supporting a restaurant that contributes to factory farming. Such as fast food restaurants or steak houses.  But, when I go out with friends I will generally overlook this because I don't need to make a scene. But, my fiancee and I go to places that cater to vegetarians and vegans when we can.

If you enjoy cooking, this is your best bet. And believe me, there is all sorts of stuff to eat. Vital wheat gluten and carne de soy are all suitable meatlike substitutes. We had tacos last night and we're having spaghetti tonight.

Get a copy of the Veganomicon. Everything we have tried out of this cookbook has been really tasty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:29PM #4
kismit
Thanks for the reference, TOG!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:29PM #5
kismit
Thanks for the reference, TOG!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 5:05PM #6
solfeggio
As very, very strict vegans for many years now, we have found that the only easy way to handle the problem of eating out is by not eating out!

I'm serious.  Unless you go to a completely vegan restaurant (of which there are hardly any to none in existence), whatever you eat will have been cooked in pans or grills or pots in which meat or dairy was also cooked at one time or another.

For us, this is simply not acceptable.

Also, with food prices going up all the time, making restaurant meals more and more expensive, we have found that eating at home is cheaper.  Besides, we know what we like and how to cook it, so why settle for somebody else's idea of 'vegan'?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 12:08PM #7
Shihulud
i keep it simple when I eat out. I will order fruit salad or side salad with oil and vinegar. Check out the side dishes, like plain baked potato, or maybe rice pilaf (check to make sure there is no butter in it), or steamed veggies. Salad bars and buffets are great because they usually have lots of fruit and veggies. At breakfast you can eat the hashbrowns too. Some places now have soy milk lattes, which are super yummy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2009 - 9:13PM #8
Agnes

Thanks for your input. 

I find chinese and indian restaurants are safe places to eat, also soup n salad restaurants, so I can still eat out with friends.

I am really missing ice cream and some cheeses.  I have not given into temptation but it is getting more difficult.  Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2009 - 3:41PM #9
solfeggio

There is soy ice cream, which is very tasty.  And there is also soy yoghurt.  Maybe, if you are used to the dairy ice cream or yoghurt, it might take a little time to get used to the soy varieties, but it really is worth it because they are so good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2009 - 5:21PM #10
ManzanitaBear

I love soy ice cream!  Somewhat better than dairy ice cream, in fact.  It usually has less sugar, too.

On the ethnic restaurants list, Ethiopian is another kind that's very vegetarian/vegan friendly.  In any Ethiopian restaurant, I've found I can count on at least half the menu being vegetarian, and all the vegetarian food either is vegan or can easily be made that way. Thai food also--most Thai restaurants have vegetarian versions of every dish on the menu, which are typically free of dairy and usually free of eggs, or can have the egg eliminated. In Indian restaurants, you may have to be extra careful if you want to avoid dairy... more Indian dishes than you might think have milk, butter, or cream as a base.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook