Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Spiritual women weaker spiritualy then spiritual men?
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 6:45PM #1
Godgirl
Hello all. In your religion, faith or spirituality...are men considered to be stronger spiritualy then women? The reason why i ask is because in the religion i come from (Christianity) I believed (but can`t be certian) that it is writen in the bible (in so many ways) that men are spiritualy stronger than women. Women may stray in their beliefs quite a bit but men are unwavering (I think it is writen in the bible in so many ways but i could be wrong). I don`t know that this is true as i havent seen any evidence of this...in fact i think it is typicaly the other way around-women being stronger spiritualy then men. Does the thought of women being weaker spiritualy affend anyone or does anyone believe this to be true and happily accept it?
What do you all think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 10:24PM #2
Free2beme09

Godgirl wrote:

Hello all. In your religion, faith or spirituality...are men considered to be stronger spiritually then women? The reason why i ask is because in the religion i come from (Christianity) I believed (but can`t be certain) that it is written in the bible (in so many ways) that men are spiritually stronger than women.[/QUOTE]

No way!  I would have to say that women are much more spiritual outside of religion anyway!  We have more of the gusto, they are so easily pleased! :o

[QUOTE]Women may stray in their beliefs quite a bit but men are unwavering (I think it is written in the bible in so many ways but i could be wrong). I don`t know that this is true as i haven't seen any evidence of this...in fact i think it is typically the other way around-women being stronger spiritually then men. Does the thought of women being weaker spiritually offend anyone or does anyone believe this to be true and happily accept it?
What do you all think?

I think women are wired to see things in vivid colors!  We are not so easily convinced. We want to see and experience all for ourselves.  We want the excitement, to be sexy (shhhh!), to be open minded, to experience everything that brings us happiness, and we will eventually find a way to do that.  That is why religion sees us as the temptress you see.  We can lead men away from conventional and into the unknown.  ****evil laugh****

Religion is for those afraid of hell.  Spirituality is had by those who have been there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 10:04AM #3
runegurl
i am no longer christian, in large part because of my inability to accept the misogyny with which the religion was taught to me.  however, i know alot of strong, smart women who don't find it to be so.

i believe THEY would point out to you that jesus first appeared after his resurrection to.....WOMEN.  they were sent to carry word of him to others.

old testament stuff, yeah, women were percieved as weaker than men. and yes, i think paul revived alot of that, or at least his teaching have been used to do that. 
*shrug*

people are people. i don't think all women are spiritually weaker than all men simply because they are women.  i think, while certain biological realities/differences do make for some concrete differences between the genders, to assign good/bad to it and to assume that ALL men and ALL women fit any pattern is a misunderstanding of the whole issue.

if anyone tells you that you, as a woman, are inferior to them, as a man.....i would say you are in the presence of a man with an inferiority complex, and he probably isn't worth your time or attention, really.

yes, i'm mellowing in my old age.  a decade ago i would have recommended mace.  hee.

rune
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 12:55PM #4
ManzanitaBear
No church I've gone to has taught that one sex is spiritually stronger than the other.  That wasn't even on the radar.

My other bit of participation in organized religion has been pagan circles  (if you would call that organized! ;)), and I feel the position of women is much stronger there.  A woman can be a priestess--spiritual in a way that also acknowledges the feminine, unlike being a minister in a Christian church.  Even in churches where women may be ordained, there isn't really an acknowledgement of gender in that.  It's more along the lines of, we're getting rid of the sexism everyone had to live with for centuries, so now we'll let women do what men do.  A woman minister is more like a female priest than a priestess.  There's a difference.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 2:37PM #5
Sakhaiva

Godgirl wrote:

Hello all. In your religion, faith or spirituality...are men considered to be stronger spiritualy then women? The reason why i ask is because in the religion i come from (Christianity) I believed (but can`t be certian) that it is writen in the bible (in so many ways) that men are spiritualy stronger than women.

Wow I'm so sorry you feel this way.  It is certainly not my understanding, nor was that the understanding of many fine woman Biblical scholars.

A wonderful book I suggest to you for better understanding is Ann Belford Ulanov's 'The Female Ancestors of Christ'

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Ancestors- … 3856307052

It will help you to better understand the lessons of various females in the Bible such as Rahab, Tamar, Bathsheba and Ruth.... all of whom were the ancestors to Christ.  (Ann Belford Ulanov is Christiane Brooks Johnson Professor of Psychiatry and Religion at Union Theological Seminary in New York City)

The book touches on Jungian concepts and can therefore be a bit 'heady' for some readers, so do beware of that.

Peace on your journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 3:26AM #6
Ashe
[QUOTE=sakhaiva;1034227]Wow I'm so sorry you feel this way.  It is certainly not my understanding, nor was that the understanding of many fine woman Biblical scholars.

A wonderful book I suggest to you for better understanding is Ann Belford Ulanov's 'The Female Ancestors of Christ'

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Ancestors- … 3856307052

It will help you to better understand the lessons of various females in the Bible such as Rahab, Tamar, Bathsheba and Ruth.... all of whom were the ancestors to Christ.  (Ann Belford Ulanov is Christiane Brooks Johnson Professor of Psychiatry and Religion at Union Theological Seminary in New York City)

The book touches on Jungian concepts and can therefore be a bit 'heady' for some readers, so do beware of that.

Peace on your journey.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not once I was under the impression that women were suppose to be spiritually  inferior to men according to the bible but it's also a very large book so maybe I'm missing something.  In my years growing up as a Christian I was never taught that notion either.

Personally, I wouldn't place one above the other in regard to spirtuality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 12:46PM #7
diosadelmar
I would paraphrase but I'll just quote:

" 'It is almost as difficult for a man to become great in candomble as it is for him to have a baby. And for the same reason: it is believed to be against his nature.' The candomble belief is that men have "hot blood". They have neither the patience to submit to the discipline of candomble, not the control of the passions necessary to incarnate the spirits."

This is no offense to my godfather or to my wonderful godbrothers, but I think women are generally spiritually stronger than men. Men who are as spiritually strong as women are special indeed!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 10:44PM #8
Godgirl
Now that i think about it the question is stupid...there are lots of very spiritual women and lots of very spiritual men. Maybe more women believe in GOd though.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 11:15AM #9
TweetyBird9A
No, it wasn't a stupid question.  Women as well as men can be very spirtual just as you stated.  The problem though is that women are not given the same opportunities as men in churches.  Although a few churches have made strides in making women equal, most still find Bible verses that they claim prove that men are to rule.   Can't they understand that the world that we live in today is not the same as during the days when the Bible was written and that the role of women should reflect a realistic division of opportunities for women of faith.  Everyone should be able to serve and use the talents that God has bestowed upon us whether male or female.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 5:18PM #10
Godgirl
TweetyBird9A "No, it wasn't a stupid question. Women as well as men can be very spirtual just as you stated. The problem though is that women are not given the same opportunities as men in churches. Although a few churches have made strides in making women equal, most still find Bible verses that they claim prove that men are to rule. Can't they understand that the world that we live in today is not the same as during the days when the Bible was written and that the role of women should reflect a realistic division of opportunities for women of faith. Everyone should be able to serve and use the talents that God has bestowed upon us whether male or female."

Ya it makes one think women are spiritualy inferior that they in alot of cases can`t be a decon in the church, have to be submissive to men whom they are married and can`t be pastors in alot of churches. If women are indeed inferior -which they are not-then why can`t they take on more leadership roles? Why would god say that they have to take second place to men in every area of church life? Or was that just the men who wrote the bible puting that in the bible? Yes things have changed and times have changed...but have they realy?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook