Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 5:33PM #1
natsim7
Hi,

I have a dilemna and I don't know how to address this. I am afraid to pray!! Everytime I begin to get into a prayer mode and pray diligently, it seems like bad things or not so wanted things happen. I know I need and really want to pray but I can't find the words or courage to do so. I know the very thing that I am supposed to be comfortable with is the very thing that makes me apprehensive. Anybody experience this and if so what can I do to help myself, to help myself.

Thanks,

Natasha
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 8:51PM #2
natsim7
Rurik,

I have been raised as a Baptist, I have explored other spiritual practices (tarot, intuitive ability, astrology). I don't pray with a "gimme" mentality, I really don't. Actually I pray so much for others that I seem to forget about myself.

It's not that my prayers aren't answered, although I have been asking God to lead me to my right career path for about 5 yrs now and I haven't figured it out yet. It's that it seems like the closer I begin getting to God,  bad things happen (or unwanted things). But when I don't things go "normal".

Does this makes sense?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 7:54AM #3
natsim7
Hi Rurik,

LOL...I heard that joke before and I am quite sure after 5 years it does apply to me, but I just haven't  gotten the punch line. lol...

As far as prayer, thanks for the suggestion. I do pray for clarity (in career and other areas) as well as peace of mind but I guess I am still blocking anything because of the apprehension of things happening (car accident in one case, one minute money the next minute none, a day gone array) those are the things that tend to make me standoffish from prayer, although I know alot of those things are self-inflicted. I know I am not making sense but it's just a feeling I get.

I hope and pray that I can get through this, because the very thing that is making me apprehensive is the very thing that I need.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 11:38PM #4
Lia
Say "God Father" every night before you go to sleep!
Don't use your own words to pray!
Then later If you feel you need more, read from a pray book! A Priest can explain  you how!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 3:29PM #5
sharon_bivens
Tell your Heavenly Father how much you love HIm.
Say thank You for another day of life and all you have been gifted.
Acknowlege His presence in your life....
Your presence in His life....
Talk to Him.  He already knows your needs before you say a word.
Tell Him again how much you love Him.....

*Let nothing stop you from your time with the Lord.  I pray often and all during the day.  Prayers of thanksgiving and love!!

If it feels that bad things happen, imagine those things without prayer....

God is good!!  Pray from your heart.

If you just say, "Thank You."  It will be enough.

God bless,

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 7:58PM #6
natsim7
Hi Sharon,

Thanks I am getting much better at praying and not being so apprehensive. I am getting more and more positive in my thinking and feeling, thanks be to God! 

Blessings,

Natasha
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2008 - 1:55PM #7
sharon_bivens
Never forget that you are a unique child of God!!  There is no one else on this earth exactly like you with the gifts you have to offer the world.

God's blessings!

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 6:42PM #8
sgi_chris
Prayer is a leap of faith in an of itself. Prayer is also proof of faith, since if one didn't have any faith or weak faith one would not have a reason to pray. Your fear of prayer is also a form of faith, maybe a confused faith or misdirected faith, but it is still faith, because you know that when the words of a  prayer leave your lips "something happens." If your faith is in angels, God, or whatever, you must know that whatever exists brings actions about for a specific reason. The Daishonin states that we must not let the fundamental darkness of our own negativity cloud the belief (faith) that our prayer will be answer, like a arrow aimed at the planet cannot miss, our prayers will always be answered. Please email me if you have some problems and I would be happy to help. Cabshear@gmail.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 11:19PM #9
Sara333
Dear Natasha (love that name!), I've been reading this thread with interest because I'm currently writing a book about what makes prayer work & not work. I think you might find some helpful info on my website at petitioninggod.com. Or you could write me at sara@petitioninggod.com and I would love to try to offer some suggestions. (I'm not a minister but I've been working on prayer for over 30 years.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 5:57AM #10
Sara333
Wow, Valentine, you really know what you're talking about when it comes to prayer, don't you? Your fascinating description made me think of a quote that I use as an epigraph in the book I'm currently writing. It's by the philosopher Kierkegaard, and it reads:

"A man prayed, and at first he thought that prayer was talking. But he became more and more quiet until in the end he realized that prayer is listening."

You might find my website, petitioninggod.com, interesting, I'm not sure. It IS about trying to get God to grant our petitions, but what i found is that the only way to do that is to first listen to what God is trying to tell _us_ regarding whatever we're asking him to do for us.

Blessings on all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook