Switch to Forum Live View Mindfulness Meditation
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2008 - 9:11PM #1
kilgoretrout2006
Gil Fronsdal, a Soto Zen priest that teaches in California, does a weekly podcast on Buddhist teachings called Zencast. You can listen to it on iTunes or you can download it at the website: http://amberstar.libsyn.com/ His teachings are pretty gentle and clear (The podcasts are a recording of a weekly class he teaches.) and he's just started a six week course in mindfulness meditation. So far just the first class is up but it looks to be a good introduction to basic Buddhist meditation practices; what to do, how to do it, the reasoning behind things; if anyone's interested.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2009 - 1:54AM #2
realmystic

Under Holistic Living/Meditation/Featured Discussions
A link says: How do you make meditation more meaningful?
But it goes to something else entirely. There is no mention of that topic in the only post there. It's one paragraph about "Zencast" and the post is over a year old. Is this a mistake of some sort on Beliefnet? I really wanted to discuss that question, i.e. making meditation more meaningful. Does anyone know where that thread can be found?

realmystic

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 08, 2009 - 6:36PM #3
Mickeybeyerclausen

Mindfulness meditations on the iPhone/iPod Touch: Guided meditations written and spoken by Stephan Bodian, author of the bestselling guidebook Meditation For Dummies®.

www.mentalworkout.com/products/applicati...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 11:28AM #4
Harold

The podcast sounds pretty cool, I never thought meditation would make it to the iPhone, but never doubt the power of zen! Is there a potential to develop an iPhone app for meditating? why not? With regular practice, I believe zen helps you become a healthier person, and I have less worries about medical insurance. In reference to other comments, I think that if meaningfulness is your goal of meditation, this seems like a loss of focus. I think zen is not a means to an end, but an opening.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 5:12PM #5
Dora

I've been meditating for about 5 years now, and I'm not sure if meaningful would describe my zen, but mindful certainly would! Stay well, and keep the "monkey mind" at bay! (it took me a few years to get that somewhat under control)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 28, 2010 - 5:33AM #6
Neal

I have tried various types of meditation, yoga etc and I found this site really helpful Mind Recipes

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 9:11AM #7
randy

Hello,

Yes i heard about it. and i think meditation i really helpful for our health. i also wanna start it because some of my friends says that it really helps in exams.

thanks!!

binaural   beats meditation
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 5:01AM #8
Marina_J

Mindfulness meditation is a particular way of paying attention to the present moment. Mindfulness meditation is also known as insight because the intention is to gain insight. It is one of the most direct meditations for transcending the mind. It involves becoming aware of the present moment and the thoughts that arise in the mind. By doing so, you will establish a natural non-attachment to your thoughts and thinking process.

Mindfulness Meditation Technique

Sit. Relax the body. Relax the mind.

Creating a Favorable Environment

There are certain conditions that are helpful for the practice of mindfulness. When we create the right environment it’s easier to practice.

Body Posture

The Buddhist approach is that the mind and body are connected. The energy flows better when the body is erect, and when it’s bent, the flow is changed and that directly affects your thought process. So, sit comfortably, with the spine upright and supported and the head balanced naturally, looking forward with eyes closed gently.

Thoughts

Do not attempt to control your thoughts. The more we try to control thoughts, the stronger they become. So, no matter what kind of thought comes up.

Breathing

Let the breath be natural and gentle. Breathe through the nose. It is the central key to any mindfulness meditation technique.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2010 - 2:27PM #9
MeditationMan

May 12, 2010 -- 11:28AM, Harold wrote:

The podcast sounds pretty cool, I never thought meditation would make it to the iPhone, but never doubt the power of zen! Is there a potential to develop an iPhone app for meditating? why not?

My friend, there's very little that can't be done with the iPhone.  I personally have an Android phone, which is fairly similar.  My bet would be that if you google'd iPhone and meditation, something either already exists, or is in the workings. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook