Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Different Kinds of Meditation
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 11:20AM #1
mysticbutterfly
I am new to meditation. I went to the site offering suggestons on meditations and on the left there was a gigantic list of different kinds of meditation. I don't expect anyone to go into what all of them are, but could someone explain perhaps what the most common types of meditation are? I've had trouble clearing my mind for meditation, which I gather is all too common, but I intend to work on it til I'm able to do it. Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 5:29PM #2
spiritalk
Meditation means to re-train the mind from one consciousness to another.  It means that we can use all that is our being in body, mind, spirit and finding a peace centre to re-train the thinking and bring calm and peace to the whole.

In a quiet, darkened room, sitting in a chair, comfortable but alert, we take several really deep (right into the diaphram) breaths.  We visualize the diaphram as a balloon we are blowing up and as we release our air, we release all the stress and tension of the body.  We are using this to relax the body, so the mind can go into the spirit form and find a place of peace.

Visualization is important.  We visualize (in the 3rd eye or forehead) a wonderful scene from nature in which we can bring our mind back to when it wants to wander.  This will be your peace centre and returning will always bring a calm and peace to the body, mind, spirit.

Meditation is remaining alert to visual input as well as sounds.  Playing some calming music helps the effort to relax the body.

God bless, J
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2008 - 3:11AM #3
Freawaru
Hi Mysticbutterfly,

most - maybe all - meditations can be sorted into one of the three categories: concentration, observation and so-called energy work. Of course, all three aspects are always present in all meditations, but usually one of them is dominating.

For example to develop concentration one begins by focusing on an object to the exclusion of everything else. When the focus becomes strong enough the mind gets completely absorbed by the object, this means one does not, say, feel one's own body any more (except when the object IS the body, of course). Related terminology is samadhi, samatha, zhine, one-pointedness, tranquility, stillness, calmness, silence, etc.

To reach this state of focus one has to cut off all other perception, thought, emotions, etc, everything that distracts the mind from the object. This means one has to become AWARE of perception, thought, emotions, etc. This awareness itself can be focused on, it then turns into observation. The perception, thoughts, emotions, etc, do not distract the mind from meditation any more, because the observing state itself is the object of focus. These kind of meditations are called mindfullness, sati, vipassana, etc.

The third aspect of meditation techniques is the so-called energy work. Prana in sanskrit, meaning literally "breath". Meant is not just the physical breath but  especially the subtle and very subtle spiritual energies that sustain our body and mind. One can focus on them either directly or via visualizations or mantras or observe them flowing (this only works when one has develloped an awareness of them). Related terms are ki, chi, chakra, nadi, visualization, deity meditations (in Buddist or Hindu tantra),  mantra meditation, initiations, wind, spirit, kundalini, mandala etc.     

Personally I like the describtion of focus-meditation (samatha, zhine) found here:

http://www.plotinus.com/zhine_tibetan_dream_yoga.htm

Of course, no need to choose the Tibetan letter A as a meditation object ;-)

Hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 9:21AM #4
spiritalk
For most meditation is going into a silence of body, mind, spirit.  There is also the walking meditation in which the body can move and the mind and spirit be at peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 3:19AM #5
cathy429
dear mystic...when i first started meditating. i found it very hard to focus on my breathing, or anthing else. my mind kept wandering, and i would just keep returning to my breathing, however, i really enjoy music, so i bought a couple of meditation cd's.  this was much easier for me to stay focused and of course calm.  i some times focus on relaxing my body and then repeating my positive affirmations when i am in my alpha state. sometimes i have to go to my peaceful place to relax, and other times i just breath and allow the universe to manist my desires! i really love meditating and  use whatever feels comfortable or suits my needs each day. i find that now when i listen to my cd's, i have no problem staying focused. it takes practice, but like anything else will become second nature if continued. for those of us who have no psychic abilities, i think we need lots of practice. i hope this helps you. love and light!
cathy429
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 11:43AM #6
Windhorse
Hello inquiring Mysticbutterfly,

I just wanted to supplement all of the comprehensive advice already posted with a couple of resources:
Six week Mindfulness Meditation Course By an excellent speaker, Gil Fronsdal at Zencast..These are free downloads.  Excellent site and you don't have to be a Buddhist to benefit.
http://amberstar.libsyn.com/

Also there is a Tibetan relaxation yoga that involves a series of gentle movements and awareness of breath with sitting meditation in between. For anyone that has difficulty sitting for a long period of time these exercises provide awareness of the subtle body including breath.  The  http://www.kumnye.com  website has an email course that is reasonably priced or you may find through this website an instructor in your area.
I wish you the best in your meditation practice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 11:20AM #7
stardustpilgrim
[QUOTE=mysticbutterfly;329308]I am new to meditation. I went to the site offering suggestons on meditations and on the left there was a gigantic list of different kinds of meditation. I don't expect anyone to go into what all of them are, but could someone explain perhaps what the most common types of meditation are? I've had trouble clearing my mind for meditation, which I gather is all too common, but I intend to work on it til I'm able to do it. Thanks![/QUOTE]

In meditation you are seeking the essential core of your mind. This is the way to finding the core of your being.

Your mind operates on many levels. We usually use it to store and retrieve information, memory. This is a very necessary function, otherwise we could never have built the culture we now have. As some have already stated here, mind as thought seeks to always function as thought, as memory. When not directly under our control we call this thought, dreams and daydreaming.

So, think of meditation as: what is mind before thought? Just be-there. What is mind before it is anything else? It is your attention. All forms of real meditation have this as basis. What's an easy way to use your attention? Watch your breath. What's another way? Notice tension in your body and relax it. Perception before thought is a good 'rule' to go by. Any perception will do, but best stick with perception confined, within your skin. When thoughts just come up uninvited, go back to attending.

Why use your attention in such a manner? Knowing why is important to maintaining practice. Your attention is a ladder right up into your soul, spirit and into God.
stardustpilgrim
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 10:07PM #8
rvalin
[QUOTE=mysticbutterfly;329308]I am new to meditation. I went to the site offering suggestons on meditations and on the left there was a gigantic list of different kinds of meditation. I don't expect anyone to go into what all of them are, but could someone explain perhaps what the most common types of meditation are? I've had trouble clearing my mind for meditation, which I gather is all too common, but I intend to work on it til I'm able to do it. Thanks![/QUOTE]

A great web site that provides knowledge about and guidance in meditation is www.swamij.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 3:08PM #9
humboldt-don

Ive created these audio nature meditations   - they are available to listen to free at: www.codedimensions.com/satorisnd - With subtle stereo theta wave inducing Binaural Beats and set to  base Solfeggio Frequencies , along with digital stereo live nature  recordings and rich deep  synthesized tracks - and  enhanced with digital sound loops and effects.  I hope you enjoy these as much as i do - i use these meditations daily and find them a wonderful way to encourage the mind to relax and the spirit to find peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 2:05AM #10
Marina_J

Prayer is common to all religions. Love for God is universal, the mode or method of prayer could be different since everyone is free to pray to the divine power in their own way. Prayer should be acceptable to all, simple and easy to adopt in daily life. Generally, people follow the path of prayer practiced in the family. The Gayatri Mantra and any other prayer should be recited with sincerity and for the love of God. Only then its true benefit can be derived…Make suggestion feel free Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook