Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is spirituality?
7 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2008 - 10:35AM #1
chaotic_calm
I know this seems like such a basic question, but I am genuninely curious.  All I have come to understand about spiritually is, well, nothing.  Yes, I was raised in a religion.  No, I'm not in that religion right now.  I count myself agnostic, but to be honest the whole of spirituality is just a mess in my head.  I tend to not understand things which are more emotional or less empirical.

So, just what is spirituality?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2008 - 5:04PM #2
chaotic_calm
Yeah, this was a lousy subject to try and start up.  Maybe I just need more patience in trying to figure it out.

Sorry I can't take this down (wish I could ).  But thanks for your concern.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 7:05AM #3
Nivrutti
Spirituality to me is just direct experience of different truths, not just reading.  These may include experiences of different dimensions, angels, etc. etc.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 2:47PM #4
Nivrutti
I agree that what the different sages discovered inwordly, became religion through words.  But words, no matter how we try cannot convey an experience.  Not that religion is bad.  But personally I think all the different prophets, sages and others discovered the same truth but put it words that fit the people of the time and place.  Same ultimate Truth, different presentations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 9:39AM #5
spiritalk
I belong to an organized religion, philosophy, science - Modern Spiritualism. It is incorporated and follows the legal as well as spiritual teachings.

I also believe I am a spiritual being within. My religion is used to help me find that spiritual approach to life that I have been seeking.

Spirituality and religion are not the same thing. But they can work together for those who seek it. They can work separately as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 11:21PM #6
Sara333
I think spirituality is any experience a person has where their soul or their spirit directly communicates with or at least feels either God or any part of the unseen world. This includes the joy we get from singing, and not only religious songs but all songs that have the capacity to touch our spirit and make us feel joyful---or sometimes the feeling is sad, but it's a deep kind of sadness wherein you feel connected to the unseen world.

I'm not a minister, but am currently writing a book about how I found God within and developed a prayer relationship with him, so it's all about being spiritual as opposed to "religious" in the sense of organized religion. Don't know if it would answer your question or not, but you might check out my website and blog at petitioninggod.com.

Blessings on you for wondering about spirituality. The wonder is where it all starts!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 11:10AM #7
spiritalk
Perhaps we only question 'what is spirituality?' when we feel the push/pull within our own being that is seeking the spiritual high ground.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2008 - 8:45AM #8
angelvision1961
I believe spirituality is a mindful feeling in the heart soul and mind.
a feeling of wholeness,belonging to a greater design.Knowing with out
doubt there is a God a creator which has given us life and guide lines to live by.
          It provides a place of peace with in the heart mind and soul.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 12:30AM #9
spiritualhunter
Spirituality is an acceptance or trust that God exists.  Comprehension of God is combined as a thoughtful and philosophical approach to imagining a relationship with God or detection of God.  Maybe said in another way, we truly trust that God exists and we entitle ourselves to a relationship with God by definining the Creator with our creations - our imagination.  Sometimes the spiritual journey is agonizing and other times it is joyful.  That is the nature of God and our balance.  This is making my brain hurt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook