Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is Spirituality Considered Religion
6 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2008 - 4:42PM #11
spiritalk
Perhaps scientists are growing up too?  There is more in the universe that just the 5 senses or a mechanical approach.  Science is recognizing this as 'a cosmic dance of energies'.  Doesn't that describe what happens to those who address and access their own inner spirit and spirituality?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 2:18PM #12
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=alanna25;314969]I am having a discussion with a friend who believes by the definition of the word "religion" and "organized" that spirituality falls within the definitions, hence, spirituality is considered an organized religion.

A particular area of spirituality/spiritism, channeling, he also considers to be "organized religion".  I wanted to know, from people who practice spirituality, do you consider yourself part of an organized religion?

BTW, I think he is wrong, as spirituality doesn't have the same structure as organized religions have.

Thoughts?

Alanna[/QUOTE]

I see the two as alternative choices.   Organized religions generally spoon feed the sheep and tell them what to think and what to believe.

Spirituality for me is a personal path of research, study of many many esoteric and metaphysical texts, and finally a decision on my part as to what to believe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 4:32PM #13
LilyRoze

Bob_Bennett wrote:

Spirituality for me is a personal path of research, study of many many esoteric and metaphysical texts, and finally a decision on my part as to what to believe.

Question for you: how many of those esoteric and metaphysical texts use as their framework and point of reference the tenets of an organized religion?

don't most of those esoteric ideas derive from a foundation of exoteric dogma and received knowledge?

And if they do, aren't you ultimately creating a patchwork religion of your own, but one comprised of parts that come from (sometimes) mutually exclusive ideologies?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 4:32PM #14
LilyRoze

Bob_Bennett wrote:

Question for you: how many of those esoteric and metaphysical texts use as their framework and point of reference the tenets of an organized religion?

don't most of those esoteric ideas derive from a foundation of exoteric dogma and received knowledge?

And if they do, aren't you ultimately creating a patchwork religion of your own, but one comprised of parts that come from (sometimes) mutually exclusive ideologies?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 11:15AM #15
spiritalk
[QUOTE=LilyRoze;426365]Question for you: how many of those esoteric and metaphysical texts use as their framework and point of reference the tenets of an organized religion?

And if they do, aren't you ultimately creating a patchwork religion of your own, but one comprised of parts that come from (sometimes) mutually exclusive ideologies?[/QUOTE]

New Thought and Modern Spiritualism literature are the questioning of a human agency seeking God and answers for their own life.  While they may or may not be organized religion, they are also full of seekers.  There is no dogma in their approach - merely seeking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 2:10AM #16
Aldebaran5
My take is that spirituality is an important and vital part of being human, but it is not the same as being religious,  I am not religious - I don't believe in the mystical or the supernatural, yet I am spiritual. Like one other poster, I can get tremendous inspiration from the awesome sight of the Cosmos on a dark silent night, or the 'miracle' of a pristine natural setting.

I also think that Physical, Spiritual, and Mental Well-being  are important parts of Human health. Whether you externalize your spirituality or (like me) internalize it, it should be ignored at your peril.

I also have the greatest respect for the beliefs and world views of other people, and I recognize that what's right for me is not necessarily right for others.. My personal paradigm is that the views of other people are not to be dismissed lightly as "delusions".

However, religion is almost impossible to define. There are many definitions of it, but none of them work for every world religion.

Barnes & Noble (Cambridge) Encyclopedia (1990):

"...no single definition will suffice to encompass the varied sets of traditions, practices, and ideas which constitute different religions."

The Concise Oxford Dictionary (1990):

"Human recognition of superhuman controlling power and especially of a personal God entitled to obedience"

Buddhism would not be classified as a religion under this definition.

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:

"a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith."

There are many people around Horse Racing Tracks who would bet their money according to their system  of belief, but nobody in their right mind would suggest that they are following a religion.

- And then there is the definition of spiritual. The answer to the question depends on which definition you use ... for Religion and for Spirituality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 5:07PM #17
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=LilyRoze;426365]Question for you: how many of those esoteric and metaphysical texts use as their framework and point of reference the tenets of an organized religion?

And if they do, aren't you ultimately creating a patchwork religion of your own, but one comprised of parts that come from (sometimes) mutually exclusive ideologies?[/QUOTE]

Hello,

None of them do.  Religions have congregations, but I don't.  I have my own theology but it is mostly based upon ACIM, which is not a religion.  Guess you could say that ACIM is recieved truths.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 10:09AM #18
spiritalk
Actually ACIM is strongly based and formulated on Christianity.  The ideas and tenants are so strongly entrenched in Christianity that ACIM is barely a change.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 1:00PM #19
Jn_jean
[QUOTE=spiritalk;356168]Why not consider science as a help and aid to finding spirituality? 

Science examines life experiences for their meaning.  Many believe it can only happen with the 5 senses.  But many scientists are seeing the world more as a 'cosmic dance of energies' than a fixed machine in modern thought.

In psychic development (and science is looking in that direction also) we use our 5 senses that normally apply to the material existence and add 2 more: intuition form the gut and I know from the heart.  Psychic development can be done with or without spirituality - that is personal choice. 

Spirituality within expands with all life's experiences.  Religion is one of those experiences.  And religion can be understood from a science point of view as well.[/QUOTE]

Yet science has yet to answer the most perplexing question that is the core of spirituality, the question is "What is the purpose of my life?"

Religion is a creation of humans. It is created as a believe system to pacify a person's questions about life without being able to give a correct answer to it (who can?). Spirituality is about truly knowing what the purpose of life is, it is a science of inner study. Something which religion cannot provide answers to. Attaining spirituality has to be understanding the purpose of one's life and of nature, thus all knowing. How can we achieve that? That is something which i'm still searching for.
We're all interconnected spiritually like cogwheels of nature. If we only serve ourselves instead of interconnecting in mutual understanding with others, nature will stop functioning properly. Kabbalah teaches us how to reach this interconnectedness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 4:37PM #20
Bug
Religion can often be a means to becoming spiritual.  When religion is frowned on it is often the result of someone practicing a practice without engaging the heart.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook