Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I'm lost. Please help me find my way.
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:20AM #1
runawaycow
Well, actually, I'm not really lost.

It's just that I've been doing a lot of research lately on different religions/religious beliefs/philosophies, and I have found so many "titles" and "labels" that describe mostly what I believe.

I am sure what my religious beliefs are, but I am not sure what my religious "label" should be. Get it?

The labels that seem to describe me most are:
Freethinker
Agnostic
Deist
Humanist (Possibly Secular or religious. I'm not sure)

Do I have to choose one of these or can I be all of them?
Sometimes I even find myself thinking like an "Atheist"!
I've always described myself as simply being "Agnostic", but then I've recently started calling myself "Agnostic Humanist". Then, even more recently, after doing the research, I'm starting to think I could possibly be a "Deist".

Are Deists also "freethinkers"? And are they also "heathens"?
I like the concept of Deism, but I don't think I could become a Deist if it meant I would no longer be a heathen. I quite enjoy being described as a "heathen" :)

***********************************************************************************************

My beliefs

I'm not sure if there is a God or not so I can't really say that I do believe or that I do not believe, but I do hope there is a God. However, if I must choose between believing and not believing, I must say that I lean more towards believing. Just as I think the concept of there being a God could possibly be true, I also think the scientific concept of evolution also has a possibility of being true. I also think there is a possibility that there is no God at all and it was a concept simply made up by humans to help them cope with the hardships of life.

If there is a God, I do not think he/she/it/them would  be the "God" depicted in the Christian bible or in any other religious texts. I believe they were written by man, therefore they are corrupted and imperfect just as the rest of mankind. I believe we ourselves, as humans, created all these worldly things and it is impossible to even fathom the concept of God and what he may be or look like. I don't think God would care about something as petty or arrogant as whether or not people pray to him, and I don't believe he would damn anyone to hell simply for not believing in him. I believe that the concept of God is beyond human comprehension so I tend to concern myself more with Humanist principles and compassion towards humans rather than devoting my whole life to supernatural beliefs. I am not religious, I believe in reason and questioning everything, and I think that whole heartedly following a religious text can lead to blind faith and distorted morals.

I also believe in fate and nature. I think, if there is a God, he is so powerful that his plan on how life should work out is already set and it is up to him to decide what happens to us in the afterlife (if there is one). I believe everything happens for a reason and I think it's possible to connect with God through the natural, simple things in life that we can't control such as tornadoes/hurricanes/rain/etc and overly complex things in life such as child birth and how the body works.

**************************************************************************************************

So... could I possibly be a Deist? Or just Agnostic? Or both? Or just a Freethinking Humanist?

I'm sorry. I know you guys must have this question asked to you a lot and it's probably annoying, but I am really lost right now and confused. I just really want to find my place in this world. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in because I am fairly new to this website, but this is the only religious social networking website that I know of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 2:22PM #2
Jwbidwell
Some questions popped into my head as I read your post:
Why do you want to identify a "label" for your beliefs?
You've described a personal belief system that seems to go against the concept of categorizing spirituality, so why try to place it into a category?
What do you mean by wanting to "find my place in this world"?
Is this about finding a community, religious or otherwise, to belong to?

No need to respond if you don't want to; I just wanted to put the questions out there. I wish you the best in your journey and hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 11:57PM #3
runawaycow
[QUOTE=jwbidwell;955992]Some questions popped into my head as I read your post:
Why do you want to identify a "label" for your beliefs?
[/QUOTE]
Because I want to know if I have one specific place where I fit in. I have researched many different religious beliefs, but none of them seem to 100% fit what I believe. I'm tired of having to go to the Deism thread, then to the Agnosticism/Atheism thread, then to the Wiccan/Pagan thread, then to the Buddhist thread, then to the Scientologist thread and so on and so on. I wish I could find just ONE place where I fit. I wish I were like my Christian friends. All they have to do is tell people "I am Christian" and people automatically know where they fit in, but me? I don't have one word to sum up my beliefs and no one is going to sit and wait for me to describe my beliefs out to them for 30 minutes. And, with as close minded as many people where I live are, I believe this confusion (and the fact that I'm not Christian) leads them to hate me and talk down to me. It is impossible to live in down south Georgia without a religious label, especially if you aren't labeled "Christian".

[QUOTE=jwbidwell;955992]
You've described a personal belief system that seems to go against the concept of categorizing spirituality, so why try to place it into a category?
[/QUOTE]
It does? I dunno. I guess I wouldn't really mind if there was no one word to sum up my beliefs and there was no one community that I belonged to, but I was just wondering if there was.

[QUOTE=jwbidwell;955992]
What do you mean by wanting to "find my place in this world"?
Is this about finding a community, religious or otherwise, to belong to?
[/QUOTE]
Well... Yes, I suppose. Lol. I was wondering if there was a group for people with similar beliefs as myself or even if someone shared similar beliefs as myself.

[QUOTE=jwbidwell;955992]
No need to respond if you don't want to; I just wanted to put the questions out there. I wish you the best in your journey and hope you find the answers you're looking for.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 5:31PM #4
Innocentodion
Oh man, I totally understand how you feel!
I am, however, further away from finding something which I'm settled with, but I wish you all the look in finding something you can confidently call yourself! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 4:21PM #5
Bug
My path is moving me beyond Christianity and back into "new age" stuff so I don't find myself fitting into one lable so, I do a lot of hopping around.  Is that bad?  I think it's just the way it is.  Religions were started to satisfy the individual that started them.  My advice in be content to learn from different groups, start your own group or, ask God to show you where you fit in.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 6:05PM #6
Jah1
[QUOTE=runawaycow;953626]Well, actually, I'm not really lost.

It's just that I've been doing a lot of research lately on different religions/religious beliefs/philosophies, and I have found so many "titles" and "labels" that describe mostly what I believe.

I am sure what my religious beliefs are, but I am not sure what my religious "label" should be. Get it?

Freethinker
Agnostic
Deist

I've always described myself as simply being "Agnostic", but then I've recently started calling myself "Agnostic Humanist". Then, even more recently, after doing the research, I'm starting to think I could possibly be a "Deist".

I like the concept of Deism, but I don't think I could become a Deist if it meant I would no longer be a heathen. I quite enjoy being described as a "heathen" :)

***********************************************************************************************

My beliefs

I'm not sure if there is a God or not so I can't really say that I do believe or that I do not believe, but I do hope there is a God. However, if I must choose between believing and not believing, I must say that I lean more towards believing. Just as I think the concept of there being a God could possibly be true, I also think the scientific concept of evolution also has a possibility of being true. I also think there is a possibility that there is no God at all and it was a concept simply made up by humans to help them cope with the hardships of life.

If there is a God, I do not think he/she/it/them would  be the "God" depicted in the Christian bible or in any other religious texts. I believe they were written by man, therefore they are corrupted and imperfect just as the rest of mankind. I believe we ourselves, as humans, created all these worldly things and it is impossible to even fathom the concept of God and what he may be or look like. I don't think God would care about something as petty or arrogant as whether or not people pray to him, and I don't believe he would damn anyone to hell simply for not believing in him. I believe that the concept of God is beyond human comprehension so I tend to concern myself more with Humanist principles and compassion towards humans rather than devoting my whole life to supernatural beliefs. I am not religious, I believe in reason and questioning everything, and I think that whole heartedly following a religious text can lead to blind faith and distorted morals.

I also believe in fate and nature. I think, if there is a God, he is so powerful that his plan on how life should work out is already set and it is up to him to decide what happens to us in the afterlife (if there is one). I believe everything happens for a reason and I think it's possible to connect with God through the natural, simple things in life that we can't control such as tornadoes/hurricanes/rain/etc and overly complex things in life such as child birth and how the body works.

**************************************************************************************************

So... could I possibly be a Deist? Or just Agnostic? Or both? Or just a Freethinking Humanist?

I'm sorry. I know you guys must have this question asked to you a lot and it's probably annoying, but I am really lost right now and confused. I just really want to find my place in this world. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in because I am fairly new to this website, but this is the only religious social networking website that I know of.[/QUOTE]

What if there was a way to understand the true nature of God; the meaning of existence; the essence of who you really are... how open would you be to receiving this knowledge? You ask the most important questions in life... and though we may not be able to comprehend all things, there is so much we can understand.

By answering your questions I hope you will find true wisdom and an increased awareness of your connection to God.

"The labels that seem to describe me most are:
Freethinker
Agnostic
Deist
Do I have to choose one of these or can I be all of them?"

What is it about having a label that is important to you?  As complex beings we can be so many things simultaneously..

"I'm not sure if there is a God or not so I can't really say that I do believe or that I do not believe, but I do hope there is a God. However, if I must choose between believing and not believing, I must say that I lean more towards believing. Just as I think the concept of there being a God could possibly be true, I also think the scientific concept of evolution also has a possibility of being true. I also think there is a possibility that there is no God at all and it was a concept simply made up by humans to help them cope with the hardships of life."

So yes.. why not? God and evolution....
I also used to think that the concept of God was made up by humans to help them cope.... I was raised agnostic... or atheist.... shared many views similar to yours... and just as you are open to believing in the possibility of there being a God-- so was I....
So yes, it is possible that there is a Creator (God) and that we-- individual beings--evolve.

"If there is a God, I do not think he/she/it/them would  be the "God" depicted in the Christian bible or in any other religious texts. I believe they were written by man, therefore they are corrupted and imperfect just as the rest of mankind. I believe we ourselves, as humans, created all these worldly things and it is impossible to even fathom the concept of God and what he may be or look like. I don't think God would care about something as petty or arrogant as whether or not people pray to him, and I don't believe he would damn anyone to hell simply for not believing in him. I believe that the concept of God is beyond human comprehension so I tend to concern myself more with Humanist principles and compassion towards humans rather than devoting my whole life to supernatural beliefs."

It is possible for Truth to be revealed through literature.. It is difficult for mankind to represent the Truth purely and without motive. (Spiritual/Religious) Books are intended to remind us of the nature of existence and the meaning of life. Unfortunately the essence of many of the teachings has become lost or distorted...

And the concept of God can be fathomed...God is a lot closer to you than you realize. It is easy to admonish the whole idea altogether if we are being taught that God is an angry, vengeful, jealous God...so then imagine that there is a God, but He/She is not damning, angry, and vengeful.. that He/She is loving, compassionate, caring, non-judgmental...

You are right- God doesn't damn anyone to hell simply for not believing in Him-- and for those who do pray to Him, there is a genuine loving exchange. This relationship becomes quite meaningful because it continues on even after this body is gone..this lifetime is so brief (in the realm of eternal time) --that it makes sense to prepare for the journey ahead. This is not to take away from how we live our lives here, now-- Being humanist, caring for others.. that is the greatest expression of who we are...... but it also makes good sense to take care for the future...We are eternal, spiritual beings--(who are at present having a human experience). Our true, inner nature is divine and based on love. We are all eternally connected to one another and to God--our spiritual Mother/Father. We are meant to evolve (spiritually) and reawaken to our innate divinity and to our relationship with all.

"I am not religious, I believe in reason and questioning everything, and I think that whole heartedly following a religious text can lead to blind faith and distorted morals."

It is best if faith is not blind... and it is good to question and reason... this is a sign of intelligence.

"I also believe in fate and nature. I think, if there is a God, he is so powerful that his plan on how life should work out is already set and it is up to him to decide what happens to us in the afterlife (if there is one). I believe everything happens for a reason and I think it's possible to connect with God through the natural, simple things in life that we can't control such as tornadoes/hurricanes/rain/etc and overly complex things in life such as child birth and how the body works."

So yes, God is powerful however;you have also got some power.... and imagine that though God has created this world for you to play with (to play in).... you have the power to choose your experiences and the reality you wish to create for yourself individually as well as collectively. Imagine that "what happens to us in the afterlife" is dependent upon our desires and actions in this life... and that "in the end".. our state of consciousness is what determines where we go in the next life... and that God is there just as a witness.. not judging.. just allowing so that we can express our free will without interference...

And yes, it is possible to connect with God through the natural simple things in life... the energy of God (the Divinity) is everywhere--even within the atom.

"So... could I possibly be a Deist? Or just Agnostic? Or both? Or just a Freethinking Humanist?

You are a pure, spiritual being who is evolving, growing and re-awakening.... Congratulations!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 7:27AM #7
arielg

You are lucky to be lost .  To be "found" usually means to get stuck in some fixed belief.
To find the right label is to get stuck.
Just go on with your search.  Don't be concerned with arriving to some frozen position.
That may give you some sense of security,  but it will also limit you. Cocoons protect you, but also separate you from life.
You are awake.  Don't try to go to sleep. You are doing fine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 5:26PM #8
melonkali

runawaycow wrote:

Freethinker
Agnostic
Deist

Runaway,

You're not alone.  When someone asks me "What are you?",  the list of "labels" which at least partially apply takes up two columns -- but the simple label "universalist"  is not entirely accurate, either.

When a brief description is a necessary courtesy, I usually just say I have an "eclectic belief system".   As for message boards and internet groups, I kind of enjoy not being limited to just one! 

The issue of actually affiliating with a specific religious/spiritual "labeled" group, which implies adhering largely to their stated belief system, is a more difficult decision for folks like us. It's no fun feeling alone all the time, and even less fun trying to live a lie.  I wish I had some sage advice to offer -- by my age (OLD) you're expected to toss out pearls of wisdom to younger seekers -- but I have no pearls to toss out on this issue.  I'll be reading the answers to your post, looking for answers myself.

rebecca

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 12:16PM #9
sharon_bivens
I am a Believer!!  Easy as that. 

I do not fit into any organized religion, either, but that is ok with me.  I enjoy going to all services, if wanted to or required for whatever reason, but as for the norm, I worship in my own way.  I am comfortable now with my relationship with my Higher Power.  It has taken me a lifetime. 

Good luck to you on your own personal journey.  You will begin it when you quit worrying about what society thinks and focus on what you think!  ;)

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 12:48PM #10
lori-dee-3

runawaycow wrote:

Freethinker
Agnostic
Deist

My beliefs

I'm sorry. I know you guys must have this question asked to you a lot and it's probably annoying, but I am really lost right now and confused. I just really want to find my place in this world. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in because I am fairly new to this website, but this is the only religious social networking website that I know of.

Hi and welcome! Your question is not annoying, everyone deserves equal time here at the posts and you are no exception. I am sorry that you are feeling so lost and confused. Tell me, what if any religious backgrounds did you grow up with or away from? Just asking in case this might help others in helping you in your search. I wish I could answer you, but without even giving GOD half the chance I feel I may be talking, but would you be listening? The Bible IS the true word of GOD. You must believe this! The earth, the whole world no matter how hard it is at times to even comprehend we must fully believe beyond a doubt that God made it all! Read the Bible ... it's all there! It's the best book EVER! I will be praying for your spiritual growth. "God Bless!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook