Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Buddhism and western spiritual consciousness
10 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 1:59PM #1
Dionysis10
Hi, I'm for westerners learning from eastern religion and philosophy. What I like about Buddhism and eastern thought is precisely its affability toward western social sciences. We westerners can learn a lot from all far eastern thought.

The psychological character of Buddist philosophy and practice is truely outstanding. Talk about a science of the mind, Buddhism is all about it. 

In the area of social science do you think we could learn anything from Confucianism?  That's a retorical question, of course we can. Confucianism is a magnificently developed family centered social philosophy.

And who is the grandpa and grandma of living God thought? Hinduism

Finally how about Taoism, can we learn to live in harmony with nature instead of trying to conquer it and bend it to our will?

I think we can learn from the east in all areas of western thought psychology, sociology, philosophy and environmental sciences.

What is the spiritual philosophical and scientific foundation we stand on in the west?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 4:44PM #2
RaymondSigrist
Well said Dionysis, I agree that there is gold to be found everywhere.  Regarding:

[QUOTE=Dionysis10;237793]What is the spiritual philosophical and scientific foundation we stand on in the west?[/QUOTE]

Some of us stand on nothing, and find it surprisingly servicable. 

love,
raymond
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 9:18AM #3
TigersEyeDowsing
I am happy to see more and more Eastern influences in the West.

Naturally, a lot of it is a 'fashionable fad', but I think it often makes a lasting impact on a person's life.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 11:46PM #4
Urukai
It isn't that one is better than the other...
Each to his own and each will find his own.  As each eastern teacher worth their own salt will tell in their own vernacular...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 8:21AM #5
Dionysis10
Eastern thought came to america in the first half of the 19th century.  The transecdentalist movement fizzled out by the early 20th. One fameous transcendentalist Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote about the over soul in 1841 saying  the oversoul, “param-atman” supreme soul ,  is understood as the collective soul of which all individual souls are included. I believe the  supreme soul is unique a unique supreme original being which we all resemble.
In meditation I am experiencing communion and relating with a greater soul than my own, I believe this supreme soul is more than only a collection of participating souls, this is an original soul that we all connect to with a unique character, heart and desire seeking happiness, joy and the reciprication of love. I will go so far as to say I believe this being loves us and wants to be loved  in return, just aswe do. The original desire to love and be loved.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook