Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Is Meditation ?
7 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 9:35AM #21
spiritalk
Meditation is defined as....to think upon.  Whether we think in mind or consciousness, it is a form of re-focusing our thoughts, not ceasing to think.  Our mind (or consciousness) ceases only on death.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 11:50PM #22
johndavid23
In my experience "thought" and "consciousness" are different.
Thought deals with a limited range of consciousness, usually related to attachment to the thoughts. Thus, the "thinker" focuses on a limited field, a small portion of Reality and remains unconscious of everything else.  Consciousness witnesses an unlimited field.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 10:38PM #23
priam1
There are many comments about meditation, but from a Theravadan Buddhist Standpoint, none of them apply.
This does not mean that you are wrong, but just that this is not what  we believe the Buddha meant.
   For the Buddha--who made meditation a central and integral part of his regimen-- it means exercise--of the mind.  It is a way of becoming totally mindful.
   We  use meditation to control the way we both relate to this world and the people and animals in it and
to change our behaviors and beliefs to become more insightful and loving.
   Meditation is nothing more than a tool.  The Buddha makes this perfectly clear in his many Suttras (stories).
Meditation without insight is pointless.  Meditation without mindfulness is a waste of time.  Meditation is a tool used to become a more advanced human being totally in tune and harmony with his environment and everything in it.

Meditation is the means, Mindfullness is the goal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 7:23AM #24
majik
The best description I've ever heard of meditation:

Prayer is talking to God,
Meditation is listening to God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 10:11AM #25
spiritalk
[QUOTE=priam1;536309]There are many comments about meditation, but from a Theravadan Buddhist Standpoint, none of them apply.
This does not mean that you are wrong, but just that this is not what  we believe the Buddha meant.
   For the Buddha--who made meditation a central and integral part of his regimen-- it means exercise--of the mind.  It is a way of becoming totally mindful.
   We  use meditation to control the way we both relate to this world and the people and animals in it and
to change our behaviors and beliefs to become more insightful and loving.
   Meditation is nothing more than a tool.  The Buddha makes this perfectly clear in his many Suttras (stories).
Meditation without insight is pointless.  Meditation without mindfulness is a waste of time.  Meditation is a tool used to become a more advanced human being totally in tune and harmony with his environment and everything in it.

Meditation is the means, Mindfullness is the goal.[/QUOTE]

And in this thread where did you find this is not the same with other forms and methods of meditation?  Meditation is mindfulness by everyone who practices.  Meditation does not stop the mind, but it can certainly alter its tone and methods.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 12:51AM #26
sean1986
For me, meditating is not so much focused on a God or a higher power or anything divine, really. Lately it hasn't been focusing on any "self." It's been emptying the self... entering no-self-ness.
-Sean
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 4:34AM #27
Marina_J

Meditation is widely known as a potent method of focusing the mind and healing the body, as well as attaining self-realization. There are many different ways to mediate.

Meditation is a way of life and a means of transforming the mind. Meditation means a concentrated state of mind or to engage in mental exercise to reach at the highest level of spiritual awareness. It is a state of consciousness that brings serenity, clarity, and bliss. There are a lot of reasons for meditation such as for stress reduction, improved health emotional stability, positive thinking, and happiness and for success or quality of life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2010 - 2:22PM #28
MeditationMan

In my opinion, you should know when you're meditating or not.  When I first tried it (without instruction), the experience was so unlike anything I ever experience, that I just knew

Obviously everyone is different, however that's just what I experienced.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2010 - 2:23PM #29
MeditationMan

Jun 22, 2008 -- 12:51AM, sean1986 wrote:

For me, meditating is not so much focused on a God or a higher power or anything divine, really. Lately it hasn't been focusing on any "self." It's been emptying the self... entering no-self-ness. -Sean

Well-said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 5:07AM #30
Ricketsjohn

I think that meditation is one of the most efficient way to cure some negative states like depression, egotism, selfishness etc. Dispite the fact that most people don`t really know how to meditate, more and more people are beginning to get interested in this ancient art.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook