Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Is Meditation ?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2008 - 3:56AM #1
Andy1945
There are a great many opinions about what meditation really is. Some say that going into the countryside or sitting on top of a mountain and tuning into nature is a form of meditation. Others might say that concentrating on a candle flame or some other peaceful object is meditation. Yet others might listen to soft soothing music. So many different methods, which can each and all bring a certain amount of 'peace of mind', relaxation, and a feeling of well being. No doubt about it! But I would personally call all these things CONTEMPLATION, rather than true MEDITATION.

In my opinion, genuine MEDITATION takes place only when one has cut off ALL exoteric senses - the outer sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings - and most of all: THOUGHTS. Now this requires overcoming (mastering) one's 'lower' mind - a very difficult thing to do. Perhaps THE most difficult thing of ALL! This is why a Spiritual Teacher is so important, for a genuine Spiritual Master will be able to explain the method, and reveal the 'keys' which enable one to overcome this powerful mind and enter one's innermost Sanctuary - the true TEMPLE of PEACE (i.e. the real Jerusalem = 'City of Peace').

So, imo, Genuine Meditation is EXPERIENCING the inner true Spiritual SELF - the Mystic LIGHT, SOUND, NECTAR, and LOGOS (Holy NAME or WORD of God).

For a detailed description of these experiences see (CLICK HERE).

Any comments?

Peace, Love, & Understanding :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2008 - 9:55AM #2
mom2-4Angels
I believe that meditation is letting go, but still being connected to the cord of spirituality...we each have a gold cord, though no one can see it, we have it, it binds us to God and the universe..meditation can help us let go of all the negitivity around us and make us spiritually connected with the universe.

For me, meditation is a state of mind...it is where I go to be one with myself as a spiritual soul to get re-connected with God and the universe.

One way I meditate is to find a quiet spot, usually at night when my kids are sleeping and all is silent..I lay on my bed and start at my toes and just inhale all the white light of positive, and exhale all the toxins in my body from that day...I visualize it..once I am relaxed I turn myself outside in sort of speaking and find peace with in my soul.  I find when I do this I have no problems falling asleep and I get a restful one, ready to face the next days challenges with a new mind set.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2008 - 7:39AM #3
johndavid23
"Meditation" means many things, depending on the abilities and needs of the meditator.  The beginner stops at step #1, the more experienced takes another step or two, the disciple is lifted up many steps.
In an infinite universe, there are infinite meditations.  Finding what is right for oneself is gained through what we call experience - being aware of what works.
This is where it is handy to have a master, a teacher who knows the universe and sees into your spiritual needs and informs you what is best for you.
Not that you are limited to this form.  Compare and contrast, experience.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2008 - 7:42AM #4
johndavid23
"Meditation" means many things, depending on the abilities and needs of the meditator.  The beginner stops at step #1, the more experienced takes another step or two, the disciple is lifted up many steps.
In an infinite universe, there are infinite meditations.  Finding what is right for oneself is gained through what we call experience - being aware of what works.
This is where it is handy to have a master, a teacher who knows the universe and sees into your spiritual needs and informs you what is best for you.
Not that you are limited to this form.  Compare and contrast, experience.

Yes, Andy, a meditator must become familiar with that inner space.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 10:52AM #5
spiritalk
The definition of meditation - to think upon.  That means there is no ultimate no thought in mind.  It means we redirect the mind, not stop it. 

Meditation is when the mind is not in conscious thought.  It can happen naturally when we are doing mundane tasks that do not require our concentration - such as dusting, washing dishes, washing the floor, any housework.  It is not stopping the mind, it is usually putting the mind in a place of non thought.

Science tells us that concentration is for the briefest of seconds.  Therefore we can not assume a meditative state and expect we will remain in any concentration for any lenght of time.  But returning our mind to a peaceful, quiet, scene (of our own choosing) is a means of bringing peace to the body, mind and spirit in total.

When meditation has a purpose (attuning with God or the spirit realms) we can find our place of peace, then invite anyone into our place for communion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 12:32PM #6
johndavid23
yes, spirit,

We focus the mind on one thought, one energy, so that we can experience that which is beyond mind.  It is a means of calming the mind, of training it to behave and not be diverted by every stimulus.  When the lake of mind is calm, Reality becomes clear.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 4:41PM #7
Urukai
Back in the 50 John Lilly used drugs and a sensory deprivation tank to go find his inner landscape so he could go out...

Depriving your senses is one way to get you there...it reminds me though of working in a lab where the conditions are in order and are under control...road testing the "vehicle" is where I'm at...meditation in movement...meditation in the middle of chaos..kids running around, phones ringing, pans boiling over, work deadline approaching...you know life....
To me meditation is being able to be both in body but also at the same time working out of the bits of me that are sacred space...making choices out of that place...all of life is a meditation...because all reaction says something about where we are in what we are hearing and learning...

Blessings
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 11:23AM #8
johndavid23
Yes, uru,

Life is the edge between "spirit" and "body".  When we get too caught up in the body, meditation helps balance us so we can live on that bright edge.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 10:03AM #9
Xianmyst
Meditation is an amorphous and creative endeavor to form a synergistic connection.  It may be active or passive.  It may be internal or external.   It may be secular or religious.

It is always mind altering or that should be body/mind altering.  Chi connects all things.  Shekinah, the Comforter, is always present and grants the Virtue (the Gifts of the Holy Spirit) according to our needs.  Tai Chi is a meditation in movement.  In it we discover the ebb and flow of Chi.  In Christianity, we discover that we may increase the power of our Virtue.

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.          Matthew 17:20-21

There is noting wrong with a good secular meditation to reduce the effects of stress upon our bodies.  Just simply, smoothly breathing, aligning our breathing to our heartbeats can reduce our blood pressure and heart rate.  Staying with it for just a little while, our brains begin to release body/mind hormones and endorphins, and this begins to bolster our immune systems.  To enhance the effects, try some chocolate or chili peppers before meditating. 

It is not far removed to get to the spiritual meditation, if that is our intention.  By introducing our religious words or icons or music or art or dance, we may intentionally, introduce our “idea” of God into our meditation or contemplation.  We may silently say Jesus with each heartbeat, Shekinah with each breath, or “Have Mercy” with each stroke while swimming.  Our intention becomes one of drawing near to God or becoming “One” with God. And this also is a time when our passion might enter into the endeavor and totally enhance the whole experience.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.     Mark 12:30

Going back to the secular, there may be a problem keeping the meditation non-spiritual.  Chi is everywhere, and with your intention, you may receive or give Chi.  From the Christian perspective,  Shekinah may intercede for us.

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.                         Romans  8:26

May the Peace of Shekinah be with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 8:13PM #10
Whisperingal
Andy--hi. Good thread!

You say--

"In my opinion, genuine MEDITATION takes place only when one has cut off ALL exoteric senses"

Okay--that's your idea--but not everyone thinks that way.

For example--what you call "exoteric"--can actually enhance meditation.

Music for example can help--for some--create the "highest" most fulfilling mediation states.

So--for me I'm not tossing out anything--because I know what wonderful things can happen when we get rid of previous and somewhat rigid criteria.

From my own ideas and experiences.

Sending good thoughts for you.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook