Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 9:49AM #11
DAH54

billandted wrote:

I would strongly disagree. I wanted to say "it's a bunch of crap," but I don't think Beliefnet would go along with that kind of assessment. There is a certain segment of feminism which says stuff like this in trying to assign all negative traits to men and positive traits to women. So a "real man" has to become more like a "woman." I've eaten meat most of my life, but I struggle to be vegetarian, and mostly I succeed.

There is a certain segment of our society that wishes to redefine words in totally meaningless ways, to acknowledge that one has eaten meat most of their life, and to imply that one has also been a vegetarian would strongly suggestion one is a member of this group, IMHO. IMHO women do not own vegetarianism.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 9:06AM #12
Norm_uk

Aug 25, 2008 -- 8:52PM, bigbear6161 wrote:

Hey, I am a vegetarian.  Someone told me once that this is more a female spirituality practice as if it somehow makes me unmanly.  What do you all think about this?  I figure that the Buddha was a vegetarian, and let's not forget Kwai Chang Cain and Mr. Spock.  All kidding aside, is vegetarianism a valid path for a man?  It seems to work for me. Dave

Plenty of macho men who are veggies. I myself do the veggie diet for weeks at a time to benefit my health. Heck Brad Pitt's a veggie and is about as manly as it gets.

A real man does what he wants mate...he's not a sheep.

N.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 14, 2013 - 8:54AM #13
Piobair_Paganach

"When threatened all beings fear for their lives; life is precious to all. When we put ourselves in the place of another, we do not kill, nor cause others to kill."
Dammapada, verse 129

This verse resonates deeply with me; so deeply that I stopped eating meat. However, I live in an omnivorous society, and my practice is to enhance, not break, the bonds of community. Our 5th Precept is to abstain from abusing mind altering substances. When one of the roshis in our lineage was invited to parties, he'd put a little wine in his water; not because he liked watered-down wine, but so he would not be apart-from; set himself up as separate from the community of guests.
Until relatively recently my tradition was almost exclusively monastic, and we have a tradition called Takuhatsu; mendicancy, where monks would beg for food donations in exchange for sutra recitations or prayers. Part of the Takuhatsu meal is the teaching to eat what has been offered without discrimination and with sincere gratitude. It is said that the Buddha died of eating tainted meat in this manner; he knew it was rancid, but accepted it gratefully and without giving rise to preferences or aversions.

Therefore, when I go to the grocers and buy food for myself, I practice the First Precept of not killing by not buying meat. When I'm a guest, I behave as a guest, and practice Takuhatsu; graciously accepting what's offered without discrimination and with sincere gratitude. Whether or not "it somehow makes me unmanly" to others doesn't really matter; it's been a good spiritual practice for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook