Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View get rid of clutter - well done or wasteful?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 8:27PM #1
chrissy1965
Just because people are in need doesn't mean they should have to settle for some one else's uncomfortable old shoes. Even shoes that look to be in good shape, after you've worn them for a while, they shouldn't go to anyone else. They've molded to your own feet, and won't fit anyone else properly, and possibly cause problems for them. I separate my old shoes in tree catagories: donatable, recyclable (old athletic shoes) and garbage. OMG, my 17!!! year old leather boots have been sitting for about 10!!! years on the bottom of my closet. Haha, ewwwww ....the straight-leggedness of them reminds me of the Leg Lamp in the movie The Christmas Story (you must see ...lollol):
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7815/v11nb8.jpg

Just no shape in the calf! Makes us wonder what on earth we were thinking originally doesn't it. I am all for donating, but this time I put those 17 year old leather boots into the garbage bag in the kitchen. I compacted them as small as possible that there was space on top of them for the normal everyday waste. I mean if they've been sitting in the closet for 10 years without being worn... it was time to put them out of their misery. I only donate old shoes that are very gently used. Those 17 year old boots were definitely gross household garbage, alone the germs ...Ewwwwwwwwww!!!
Do you agree with me? Well done or wasteful?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 12:30PM #2
ManzanitaBear
If they were that disgusting, throwing them away was the right idea.  There's always a time and place to do that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 9:00PM #3
NancyNic
well done Chrissy!  When we hold onto things we are living in the past ... that's not to say we should dispose of things that are still meaningful and useful but psychologically holding on to things for 17 years is too long !

Nancy
http://www.mindfulworkshops.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 6:12AM #4
LovebirdsFlying
Some people are just plain squicky when it comes to throwing anything out.  My grandmother, age 90, is a child of the Depression era and has pretty much never thrown anything away in her life.  She raised me, for part of my childhood, particularly when I was in high school.  I remember having an umbrella that blew apart in a strong wind. A new umbrella would cost about $5.00, which was the same as the allowance I got.  So I threw away the broken one, only to find it the next day on my bed, held together with black electrical tape.  Like I was really going to carry that to school with me?

And you're right, not everything needs to be donated.  I've worked in the donations department of thrift stores to benefit homeless shelters.  So much of what comes in is garbage that people donate instead of throwing away, since donating eases their consciences.  I'll let you in on a little secret:  If it's in horrible shape, the thrift stores throw it out anyway.  To donate something that is beyond repair is really an insult.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 11:43AM #5
chrissy1965
Additional question: Nike recycle old athletic shoes, but I had put those old full-leather boots into the regular garbage bag for the non-recyclable everyday waste like food scraps, waxed papers, dirt . Pretty stiff leather, no zippers and only the heels were plastic  ...for me those old boots were waste category and not recyclable. Was it correct?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2008 - 7:45PM #6
multimom
[QUOTE=LovebirdsFlying;644961]Some people are just plain squicky when it comes to throwing anything out.  My grandmother, age 90, is a child of the Depression era and has pretty much never thrown anything away in her life.  She raised me, for part of my childhood, particularly when I was in high school.  I remember having an umbrella that blew apart in a strong wind. A new umbrella would cost about $5.00, which was the same as the allowance I got.  So I threw away the broken one, only to find it the next day on my bed, held together with black electrical tape.  Like I was really going to carry that to school with me?

And you're right, not everything needs to be donated.  I've worked in the donations department of thrift stores to benefit homeless shelters.  So much of what comes in is garbage that people donate instead of throwing away, since donating eases their consciences.  I'll let you in on a little secret:  If it's in horrible shape, the thrift stores throw it out anyway.  To donate something that is beyond repair is really an insult.[/QUOTE]

Ha!  I'm happy to discover I'm not the only one who walks back in forth w/ two handloads of confusion in the era of 'ecoawareness' + can/will someone need this item for a future Halloween Costume?  A high school musical?
It's true-it can log-jam the mind.
I've never put out a single hardline item for the waster managers that was not given the once over by our locals who scavenge for salvage.  Ya gotta admire those w/ the gift of ingenuity; "one man's garbage is another man's treasure."  Thanks for the subliminal suggestion that we could get together a brand new shoe bank during community donations for United Way and our local churches.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 11:17AM #7
erthmohr
Well done.. go ahead and give yourself a big pat on the back.
Feng Shui teachings tell us that clutter in our homes represents clutter in our self.
Letting go of old physical stuff that doesn't serve you any longer is often a prelude to letting go of old emotions and pains which don't serve either.

Love is contagious,
Donna
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 3:26PM #8
glendalee2585
I think you are right on. When I was raising my kids we were often the recipeints of donated goods. Some of those things were amazing. My daughter still, at 27, has a wonderful doll she was given one Christmas. I appreciate so much those gererous souls who helped my kids.
But someof the other stuff we recieved. Clothes that fit no one in my family. Clothes that were stained and/or torn and had to be thrown away. Stuff so old and out of style that there was no way my kids could wear them to school without being shamed by the other children.
Half open bottles of shampoo, makeup etc. Yech.
I know I should be very grateful and I am but I hope when you donate you think, at least a little, about the reciepent and whether or not it will serve them. BTW I did use used shoes after spraying them with lysol, but only ones in decent condition.
IMHO
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 8:25PM #9
indep

Decluttering is not as easy as it sounds.  Its a work in progress.  It is not only the things that are there, but one needs to consider the space available, the function of that space, closet space is a big consideration.   Then one can consider what one needs, does not need, can dispose of or should keep for now, and for later.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 2:30PM #10
Katja144

I do have a hard time with throwing stuff away.  You know, all the stuff that you no longer want/need, but it's still good, but it's unlikely someone else would want it...old rubbermaid bins, those ubiquitous lotion sets or scented candles people give you as gifts when they don't know what else to give you, etc.  (gosh we'd eliminate a lot of waste in this country if people didn't receive random thoughtless crap from people who felt obligated to buy something for them but hadn't a clue what to get!  I'd far rather someone didn't give me anything than give me something I have to figure out how to get rid of later!)  Some of the stuff I have is the same stuff I see sitting in thrift stores for months on end because nobody wants to buy it...so it sits around at my place.  Ugh!

I also feel bad about stuff like socks and stuff...you know, one sock is still good but the other one is nowhere to be found.  I can't make myself throw out stuff that is still good, lol, even if useless.  Can't think of anything creative to do with stuff like that.  :)  I don't tend to be hard on clothes, so I might wear something for years and years, even stuff like socks and underwear, so it's easy to build up stuff...

I do agree though that clutter partly has to do with the space you have.  I have stuff I genuinely need and use, but it's clutter because there isn't space for it...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook