Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Which Spiritual category do I fall on?
10 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 2:51AM #1
lightblueglue
I was born and raised a Catholic. Being Catholic was all I knew 'til after graduating from College. I began reading about Reincarnation and Karma. I was very much drawn to it. Throughout the years, I found myself questioning my faith and beliefs. As of now, I attend a weekly Born again Christian service. I'm also a member of Singles for Christ (a Catholic grp) and still go to mass on Sundays and days of obligation. I am fascinated by Buddhists teachings and also have gone inside several Buddhist and Hindu temples. I'm not religious, pls don't get me wrong. I don't even read the bible. I enjoy having tarot card readings and have them quite regularly. I am interested in Psychics and even New Age. I believe in God and the power of the universe. The Law of Attraction and The Secret. I am truly deeply interested in all spiritual things and have a high respect and tolerance for everyone of them. Any thoughts on this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 10:03AM #2
Cwgfan
I have found a spiritual combination that works for me.

I guess one could label it as non-sectarian spirituality;  knowing that we are all one therefore having unconditional love for everyone.

It has brought incredible change to my life & I study my many metaphysical books & material instensively daily.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 10:47AM #3
spiritalk
Just for fun...there is a bnet test of your own personal spirituality.  Try it out!  To be sure...Spiritualism is not represented but it could give some direction to your own spiritual thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 9:04PM #4
Kadi
I also have questioned what spiritual category I fit into, especially after someone asks me. I never know how to answer.

I was raised in the Episcopal church - quite literally. The first few years of my life my parents were both very involved in the running of our church and we were there nearly every day doing something. That ended when I was 8 and my parents had a falling out with the new priest. After that there were no churches we went to. I went back when I was 20 and did my confirmation however, I also found myself questioning a lot. Fade out again for the next 25 years or so.

When I was 45 I experienced a series of "experiences" that I was told was a "spiritual awakening". Having already done the Christian thing, I went off in search of just what spritiuality was and explored many traditions. Now I'm kind of a mish mash of Native American, Buddhist, Vendanta, Spiritualism, have pictures of Mother Teresa, Jesus, Paramahansa Yogananda and Thich Nhat Hanh sitting next to each other on a shelf. I took the test Spiritalk mentioned and tested out as a Reformed Jew!!

The problem I found is how so much that I have come to believe through actual experiences (past lives, energies from stones, spirit communications, tarot, etc) is frowned upon by most "traditions". I don't understand why. Hence, I kinda feel I am building my own category. I just haven't come up with a name for it yet.

Any suggestions out there?

Kadi
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2007 - 6:29PM #5
spiritalk
That kind of reminds me of Sylvia Browne - she didn't like her catholic background, so she started her own religion!  LOL 

One has existed since the mid 1800s and is still going strong with the opening and developing of personal spirituality and factors such as the psychic and mediumship that affect our spirituality.  Spiritualism (religion, philosophy, science) is open to the inidividual seeker of spirituality and is based on 7 (or 9) principles of understanding God, each other and the universe.

For some reason Bnet has not included Spiritualism in any of its presentations on religion.  Will keep trying.  LOL

On the old site we had Spiritual but Not Religious discussion going.  I wonder what happened to them and the people seeking through the message?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 6:46AM #6
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=lightblueglue;114141]I was born and raised a Catholic. Being Catholic was all I knew 'til after graduating from College. I began reading about Reincarnation and Karma. I was very much drawn to it. Throughout the years, I found myself questioning my faith and beliefs. As of now, I attend a weekly Born again Christian service. I'm also a member of Singles for Christ (a Catholic grp) and still go to mass on Sundays and days of obligation. I am fascinated by Buddhists teachings and also have gone inside several Buddhist and Hindu temples. I'm not religious, pls don't get me wrong. I don't even read the bible. I enjoy having tarot card readings and have them quite regularly. I am interested in Psychics and even New Age. I believe in God and the power of the universe. The Law of Attraction and The Secret. I am truly deeply interested in all spiritual things and have a high respect and tolerance for everyone of them. Any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

Hey lightblueglue,

In our Unity church, we do a lot of New Age practices and have a LOT of former Catholics!  New Thought is a lot like Spiritualism in many ways, which is a mighty fine religion too, but I think New Thought focuses less on psychic experiences and more on meditation and oneness with God.  Unity is a fusion between Buddhism and Christianity, a belief in the power of eastern meditation and the western belief of one divine being, though not the stereotypical God.  Many of us are pantheistic, with the belief that God is everywhere and everything, including manifesting as ourselves.  It's because of this, the Law of Expression, we can practice the Law of Attraction and get results.  Unfortunately, the Secret - while a good movie - didn't delve into the Law of Expression because it could potentially offend, which is understandable.  Many people aren't ready to hear it.  How do you feel about Scientific Prayer?

Love and Light,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 6:46AM #7
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=lightblueglue;114141]I was born and raised a Catholic. Being Catholic was all I knew 'til after graduating from College. I began reading about Reincarnation and Karma. I was very much drawn to it. Throughout the years, I found myself questioning my faith and beliefs. As of now, I attend a weekly Born again Christian service. I'm also a member of Singles for Christ (a Catholic grp) and still go to mass on Sundays and days of obligation. I am fascinated by Buddhists teachings and also have gone inside several Buddhist and Hindu temples. I'm not religious, pls don't get me wrong. I don't even read the bible. I enjoy having tarot card readings and have them quite regularly. I am interested in Psychics and even New Age. I believe in God and the power of the universe. The Law of Attraction and The Secret. I am truly deeply interested in all spiritual things and have a high respect and tolerance for everyone of them. Any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

Hey lightblueglue,

In our Unity church, we do a lot of New Age practices and have a LOT of former Catholics!  New Thought is a lot like Spiritualism in many ways, which is a mighty fine religion too, but I think New Thought focuses less on psychic experiences and more on meditation and oneness with God.  Unity is a fusion between Buddhism and Christianity, a belief in the power of eastern meditation and the western belief of one divine being, though not the stereotypical God.  Many of us are pantheistic, with the belief that God is everywhere and everything, including manifesting as ourselves.  It's because of this, the Law of Expression, we can practice the Law of Attraction and get results.  Unfortunately, the Secret - while a good movie - didn't delve into the Law of Expression because it could potentially offend, which is understandable.  Many people aren't ready to hear it.  How do you feel about Scientific Prayer?

Love and Light,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 4:47PM #8
spiritalk
Can I ask you to define 'scientific prayer' as expressed in your post, Joseph?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 8:38PM #9
TigersEyeDowsing
Good evening Spiritalk!

Certainly.  When I said "Scientific Prayer", I was referring to affirmative prayer as taught by such teachers as Emmet Fox and Ernest Holmes.  I posted an ehow article about it at http://www.ehow.com/how_2134981_pray-sc … rayer.html .

In summary, the four or five step process involving recognition of God everywhere, unification of oneness with all that is, realization that the prayer is answered already and thanksgiving and total release. 

Love and Light,

Joseph
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 12:02PM #10
Icarus580
In my opinion, New Age is still a valid term for the spirituality that is less religious but incorporates things like psychics, meditation, and the Law of Attraction.  New Age seems to be an all encomassing movement that welcomes people who do not even identify as New Age.  Nowadays, many Unity and Religious Science Churches are New Age centers-which imo is a good thing. :)

Peace,
Icarus
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook