Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View fundamentalism in mysticism
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 3:39PM #41
stardustpilgrim
Sufi saying for any occasion:

This too will pass.

I believe there is objective truth, but most of what we know as truth depends upon relationship, the gestalt of objects in relation to people, and people in relation to objects (and people to people). This type of truth will change over the years (like, the day you get married, "I will love you forever". But for 50% of people, "This too will pass".

All of life is a process. I look at right and wrong as traveling down an interstate highway. There are only certain places you can exit once you are on an interstate. If you have made a "wrong turn" you have to stay on that highway, for sometimes many miles, until you can exit and turn around.  Being wrong is an inconvinence.

Another analogy for making wrong turns is finding yourself at the end of a one-way street. I've been there quite a few times.

And this is one reason for trying to live through a deeper part of myself instead of ego. On what basis does one make decisions? When ego is the decision maker I find that more u-turns are necessary.
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 1:29PM #42
me2nonotu
To put it very simply, there is no mysticism in fundamentalism, you can't take a writing literaly and find a mystical meaning to it, the word your looking for is miraclism,it is the literists that invented the idea of miracles.

literal interpretation of a writing leaves no room for secondary mystical meanings.

also, the term "FUNDAMENTALIST"  is a modern term, and not many people understand what the original  literalists were trying to accomplish,they didn't believe that what they where reading was true, they believed that if enough people believed in said subject that the subject would become real, that was the literalist pagan system that Constantine ( last roman emperor and first roman pope) followed, literalism is the basis of fundamentalism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 7:34PM #43
dreamhealth
I am not qualified to write in this thread, but I did enjoy it very much, especially all the humor. I've been wondering for weeks if this Bnet community is ever going to take off. Thanks to you posters, I'm assured that things will be okay. TYTY
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 3:33PM #44
stardustpilgrim
[QUOTE=me2nonotu;148300]To put it very simply, there is no mysticism in fundamentalism, you can't take a writing literaly and find a mystical meaning to it, the word your looking for is miraclism,it is the literists that invented the idea of miracles.

literal interpretation of a writing leaves no room for secondary mystical meanings.

also, the term "FUNDAMENTALIST"  is a modern term, and not many people understand what the original  literalists were trying to accomplish,they didn't believe that what they where reading was true, they believed that if enough people believed in said subject that the subject would become real, that was the literalist pagan system that Constantine ( last roman emperor and first roman pope) followed, literalism is the basis of fundamentalism.[/QUOTE]

Well........Raymond can be very subtle, and sometimes very sly. The thread is fundamentalism in mysticism, not mysticism in fundamentalism.
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook