6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 3:14PM #1
NadyaJS
Hi.   I was wondering if anyone here has heard anything about soy products being dangerous when consumed by pregnant women carrying males?  Something about the hormone levels effecting development? 

I know this isn't necessarily a spiritual question, but I've read conflicting things online and can't get a straight answer from my doctor. 

Please let me know if any of you have any thoughts on this.  I'm pregnant and tofu and other soy based products are a big part of my diet.

Many thanks,

Nadya
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 1:47PM #2
spiritree
Yes, yes, yes. There isn't enough research on the topic, so you probably won't get a straight answer-- but I know two women, both who were vegans and consumed a lot of soy while pregnant whose sons were born with the same defects on their genitals. I don't remember the exact name of the condition, but basically the hole on the tip of the penis was very crooked. They both had to have corrective surgery. The reason is because soy either has or releases a lot of estrogen, the female hormone. I know because of knowing them, I am going to avoid soy if I choose to get pregnant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 1:47PM #3
spiritree
Yes, yes, yes. There isn't enough research on the topic, so you probably won't get a straight answer-- but I know two women, both who were vegans and consumed a lot of soy while pregnant whose sons were born with the same defects on their genitals. I don't remember the exact name of the condition, but basically the hole on the tip of the penis was very crooked. They both had to have corrective surgery. The reason is because soy either has or releases a lot of estrogen, the female hormone. I know because of knowing them, I am going to avoid soy if I choose to get pregnant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 10:24PM #4
NadyaJS
Hi Spiritree!  Thanks so much for the response.  Wow....   that's really good to know.  I limited the amount I ate, but now I think I'm going to avoid it completely...  at least for the next 6 months.

Thanks!!

Nadya
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 7:24PM #5
Shihulud
I drank a ton of soy milk while I was pregnant and my son is now a deformed, gay, 14 year old boy with breasts.
See how silly that sounds? it's complete and utter bullshit. I drank it all day long because it is the only thing I would puke back up, and my son is normal. A lot of different kinds of foods have plant estrogen and it does nothing to you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 4:30PM #6
NadyaJS
That's good to hear.  Since I found out I was having two girls, I've continued to consume soy.  I am still pretty confused though because I have another vegetarian Pharmacist friend telling me that soy is bad for you (in excess) even after pregnancy.  She told me to keep it in moderation.  Well, that's not going to be possible since I plan on adhering to a pretty strict vegan diet after the girls are born in a couple weeks and soy products will be an even bigger part of my diet.  I responded to my friend with all the horrible things I've read about dairy products...  but she remained convinced otherwise.  I'm starting to come to the frustrating conclusion that nothing is good for you anymore.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 10:12PM #7
Diarmuid
[QUOTE=NadyaJS;403204]That's good to hear.  Since I found out I was having two girls, I've continued to consume soy.  I am still pretty confused though because I have another vegetarian Pharmacist friend telling me that soy is bad for you (in excess) even after pregnancy.  She told me to keep it in moderation.  Well, that's not going to be possible since I plan on adhering to a pretty strict vegan diet after the girls are born in a couple weeks and soy products will be an even bigger part of my diet.  I responded to my friend with all the horrible things I've read about dairy products...  but she remained convinced otherwise.  I'm starting to come to the frustrating conclusion that nothing is good for you anymore.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine says "if that doesn't get to ya, the air will" a lot. And it is soooo true....
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook