Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Meditation Experiences
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 2:18PM #21
spiritalk
I was wondering if anyone has had mystical or unusual experiences during meditation, and could you please share!

Its important to realize that each meditation is a personal experience - one of the most personal of experiences!  Experiences, therefore, will be personal to your own practices and meditations. 

Seeking expectations will be a disappointment at best.  Cultivate your own experiences.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2008 - 4:42AM #22
xenophobeWASO
most of that stuff is just delutions but wall meditation really makes me so my mind is not thinking at all. a few times i have meditated and my spacial perception got all messed up and my body felt really big or really little and things seemed over sized and other things seemed distant at the same time, like i was in a 11x13 room and if felt huge and i was huge too and then the reverse of that but never felt the room was small. once i astra prjected and saw and heard my friends talking a few hundred feet away and they know that i was inside the whole time and when i told them what they were talking about they thought it was amazing. another time i astral projected and flew around the farm i grew up on it was awesome. never had any mystical experiance though but then i do not belive in all that weridness cause most of that stuff is just fantasy new agey crap.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 4:40AM #23
Whisperingal
Xenophobe--to each their own.

Sending good thoughts for you.

WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 7:06AM #24
johndavid23
[QUOTE=peacefulwarior;158442]I can relate to many of the posts about this topic that motivates me to share the following:

I was in my backyard not to many months back, meditating with eyes wide opened as I have learned to do by being very focussed on not what I see , but what I feel.

As I was adrift without thought, but just being one with nature, I came to notice that my entire backyard seemed to be like 3-D in color. I felt as though I was being drawn into another dimension, as if I was going through time or space into a different awareness.

At first I was frightened by this somewhat cosmic, colorful experience and mentally withdrew from what was happening.

As I became comfortable with what was happening, a great feeling of comfort and awareness overcame me, and I allowed myself to just go with the flow and allow all the energy of the moment be as exactly as it was.

When it seem to cease and I kind of came back to where I was, I had and have now, a much clearer understanding of my life's purpose and what it is that I am to do, while in this temporary form of physical existence.

One of my teachers who has helped me find my spiritual path later explained to me that this moments of enlightenment are like portals that we pass through as our path is laid out or defined by the One who's will is my will to carry out, and to do what the Higher Power of my understanding has laid before me to accomplish while here in this physical state.

My life has been so uncomplicated and so clear as to what my inner and outer purpose is, and what I am to do to be of service to my fellows.

It was and still is a truly unique thing that took place that day, to me, and I now know why I am here, and what I am to do, in service to the Supreme Being of my understanding.

Thanks for allowing me to share,
Larry[/QUOTE]

Larry,
I liked your answer/response.  Through meditation we harmonize ourselves with our life-purpose/reason-for-being.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 12:05PM #25
Windhorse
Briefly, I want to respond to the mild controversy re: meditation experiences. We all experience similiar states in meditation as measured (from the outside) via brain waves or concepts as bringing wakefulness into dream sleep and deep sleep. The differences arise when emerging from the meditation and interpreting from our personal history, intersubjectivity of culture and interobjectivity of our life in technology as well.  And all interpretations are valid, beautiful and true for the meditator.
The caveat that I have experienced is to seek these mystical stories and become attached, even addicted, to having more experiences. That is the great delusion: Forever seeking spiritual states.  The lesson for me was to finally ask; "Who is seeking the mystical experiences?"  And stay with it....
Love and Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 5:20PM #26
Whisperingal
Windhorse--hi.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you saying that we should not sek out meditative states and the spiritual enlightenment those might bring?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you--and I look forward to getting a better understanding from you.

Sending good thoughts your way.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 12:05PM #27
Windhorse
[QUOTE=Whisperingal;352178]Windhorse--hi.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you saying that we should not sek out meditative states and the spiritual enlightenment those might bring?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you--and I look forward to getting a better understanding from you.

Sending good thoughts your way.
WGal[/QUOTE]

I will try the best I can.  There are meditations such as Vipassana or insight meditiation where you ask yourself questions and others that you send compassion to all.  What I was alluding to is the seeking;  grasping for some insight or emotional state. In that attachment for something that you have decided is desirable there is the attachment to a self having said experience. For me, that is a straight jacket. Like trying to pour the emptiness of infinite possibility into a quart jar.  Some meditators create stories which are mental concepts rather that trying to just be with whatever arises, allowing the thoughts to just move on like the sound of a distant radio, and any sensations that arise just move like energy without any concept of this is that or this, ie. a story that starts a train of thoughts.  I, like many, have had what seemed to be profound spiritual experiences and I don't discount them, but rather, not become attached to experiencing another one. The delusion is in the grasping for something that we think is mystical/spiritual. Letting go of concepts is the freedom of emptiness.  It is so difficult to describe the ineffable with more conceptual language.  Keep inquiring...what fun.
And when you asked about meditative "states", that is what mediation is. Some describe states in empirical terms such as brain waves while others talk about the levels of gross, subtle, causal(formless) and nondual. Like the waking, dreaming and deep sleep, these are states. I was refering to emotional and mental experiences that we might interpret as an "altered" state.
Thanks for asking me to clarify that...whether I did or not,  it has been a good exercise.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 2:05PM #28
spiriteye
meditation is separation from your body and brain (mind)  like putting the bodyand brain asleep ..but staying awake inside ..when everything stops the only thing left will be your pure consciousness or sometimes called the holy spirit  inside of you . disassociation and disentanglement is the key to find your way back to god , i.e. you dont have to seek or FIND God it is allready there meditation is just the RETURNING to the true and natural angelic state you already are and always have been be fore you cast your self out of heaven and became identified with the physical animal body. more info at www.greatpath.org if you need to do more research . very sincerely .
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 2:46PM #29
Whisperingal
Spiriteye--hi.

Nice post on some of the goals for meditation.

It helps to be aware however that many different people have many different goals for their meditation.

And that one person may meditate in different ways depending on the goal at the time.

So what it boils down to is that there are no "Right" or "Wrong" ways to meditate--it is truly what works for each of us under the circumstances and conditions when we are meditating at any given time and place.

Sending good thoughts for you.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 10:17AM #30
spiritalk
The brain is the vehicle of the mind, but it is not the mind itself.  When we work with chakras we find the solar plexus opening is colored yellow.  Yellow is the mental color. 

Do you suppose the mind may just be more connected to our gut intuition than to our mental thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook