Post Reply
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 11:20PM #91
Flowupstream
Posts: 244
[QUOTE=stardustpilgrim;54113]I would say that being in a line of transmission of teaching is being "connected to".  Concerning is/was. The is part means she's still alive. The was part means he's dead.
sdp[/QUOTE]

"Arunachala Ramana" read Sri Ramana Maharshi's book in 1973, 23 years after Sri Ramana "dropped his body" (died).

Here is a link to a large and genuine "transmission" of Bhagavan's teaching. If you click on the Address link you will find many teachers of Sri Ramana maharshi's self inquiry method. Some are good, and some are excellent. One is a close friend.


http://www.poonja.com/

kip

And from your post #74...The whole contains the part. I will agree on this. Maybe this is where we are misunderstanding each other. But the part CAN'T contain the whole. ............and if you're living through ego, you CAN'T come upon "that which can't be contained is "The One True Gate".

This IS a source of misunderstanding. Atman and Braman are one. And again, we do not live through ego. In fact we don't live through ego ever! Ego arises from the mind and PRETENDS to be a self. Ego is simply a misunderstanding of reality. It is an aspect of mind whos function is to look away from reality. It will fall silent when DIRECTED (still havent figured out itallics or highlight) when directed to what it recognizes cant be defined. Like when you give a computer an unsolvable math problem and it locks up. The computer still exists. I know this is a poor analogy but I think you get the pictuer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 11:51PM #92
Flowupstream
Posts: 244
Bhagavan NEVER advocated destruction of the ego. Only recognition of its activity through self inquiry. In this process we know that ego exists but is not self.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 12:58PM #93
stardustpilgrim
Posts: 5,277
[QUOTE=flowupstream;55745]Bhagavan NEVER advocated destruction of the ego. Only recognition of its activity through self inquiry. In this process we know that ego exists but is not self.[/QUOTE]

Here's the way I can imagine what it's like to be free of ego. Do you remember anything of your life when you were in the first grade? That's the way you'll see ego, from a non-dual state.

OK, tell me how you deal with the unconscious. Most of our "ego" comes from our sub/unconscious. Experientially, I live through ego. I don't know what you mean when you say that we never live through ego. Psychologists tell us most of our actions (maybe 90%) don't come from our conscious mind, but from our subconscious. You ever bought something and the next day ask yourself, why did I buy that? (Or insert any number of your own examples). Or when the bill comes ask, why did I buy that, this money needs to go for so-n-so......... I say part of the process is making the unconscious conscious. I say until you do this, you can't stay in the non-dual state, even if you have visited...........IT......previously.......

And all this can be encountered in Self-Inquiry (or a rose by any other name)......but you gotta DO it.............not i-m-a-g-i-n-e the non-dual state (not saying anyone is).

Thanks for the info in # 78.
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 12:58PM #94
stardustpilgrim
Posts: 5,277
[QUOTE=flowupstream;55745]Bhagavan NEVER advocated destruction of the ego. Only recognition of its activity through self inquiry. In this process we know that ego exists but is not self.[/QUOTE]

Here's the way I can imagine what it's like to be free of ego. Do you remember anything of your life when you were in the first grade? That's the way you'll see ego, from a non-dual state.

OK, tell me how you deal with the unconscious. Most of our "ego" comes from our sub/unconscious. Experientially, I live through ego. I don't know what you mean when you say that we never live through ego. Psychologists tell us most of our actions (maybe 90%) don't come from our conscious mind, but from our subconscious. You ever bought something and the next day ask yourself, why did I buy that? (Or insert any number of your own examples). Or when the bill comes ask, why did I buy that, this money needs to go for so-n-so......... I say part of the process is making the unconscious conscious. I say until you do this, you can't stay in the non-dual state, even if you have visited...........IT......previously.......

And all this can be encountered in Self-Inquiry (or a rose by any other name)......but you gotta DO it.............not i-m-a-g-i-n-e the non-dual state (not saying anyone is).

Thanks for the info in # 78.
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 10:02PM #95
Flowupstream
Posts: 244
I have not been talking about being "free of ego". In fact, I have been trying to discourage you from the idea. The function of ego is to discover problems and formulate a plan to deal with them. "Discovering" the ego to be a problem is a function of ego. Seeking to eliminate ego is a function of ego.

Dealing with subconscious? When ego UNconsciousness comes bubbling to the surface, I notice it quickly and laugh. Unconsciousness is the perfect way to talk about this. Suppose you are asleep and having a bad dream. Not just any dream. This is lucid. You're aware that you're dreaming but you still feel the emotions of panic as the monster chases you. You're aware of your racing pulse, respiration and intense fear. What do you do? Do you run faster? Do you "dream" a gun to shoot the monster? Or a fast car to get away? Do you decide to dream the monster away?

All of those "fixes" can be equated with the ego deciding to kill the ego. The only real fix is to wake up! How can you tell you're sleeping? Emotions. Your natural state is one of ease and/or joy. If you're feeling tension about anything its because you're dreaming. Don't get me wrong. If there IS a monster (well OK, how about a vicious dog?) its appropriate to have an accelerated pulse. If you're sick it is appropriate to see the doctor. And if there is no food in the house it is appropriate to go shopping. But if you are feeling that there is something wrong with your life(any and every thing related to time or distance), including activity of ego, it is your ego dreaming up monsters.

kip
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 11:21AM #96
stardustpilgrim
Posts: 5,277
OK, let me bring in what is one of the great metaphor's of our time, the movie The Matrix. When we encounter Neo, he knows something is wrong, but he doesn't know what. Let's say that Neo is stuck in ego, false self. A peep-hole part of our being that distorts reality. (I was going to post this on The Window of Self, but here seems appropriate). He has heard rumors of the matrix, he's looking for it, but he doesn't know what he's looking for. Then he gets a message to follow the white rabbit. A girl shows up with a "white rabbit" on her shoulder. Well...Neo meets Trinity. She pulls out of him that he's looking for the matrix. Trinity is awake. Neo is asleep. Trinity is living through her True Self. Neo is living through his ego. So, Neo meets Morpheus and is given the choice of swallowing the blue pill or the red pill.Blue pill, he wakes up in his old life. Red pill, he enters a new world, but doesn't know what that means. Of course he chooses red. Now, Neo's REALITY is that he's hooked up to feeding tubes and being sent signals amking him believe he's living in the 'rea;' world. He's a human battery. He's asleep as to what reality is. The red pill locates Neo in this vast network of human batteries. Morpheus finds him and disconnects him and takes him aboard his ship. What happened? Neo is awakened and shown what the world is really like. I say this is a perfect metaphor for the journey from ego to true self. Ego is a distortion of what actually is. Getting unplugged is an "awakening", and now Neo is living in a "more real reality", as his true self.

Now, the next two movies show us that Neo (or Morpheus or the others 'awake') still doesn't have a complete view of everything that is taking place. The Matrix is merely the lastest version. There have been about 5-6-7 versions of Neo before (don't recall the exact number). Neo finds this out by meeting the Architech. So Neo's reality is still just a small part of a greater reality. ........If I could extend the 'metaphor', to find out about the actual manner the universe is structured, Neo would have to die to what he now is (in a similar way to what happened when he was disconnected from his 'incubator'). True Self is still a barrier. True self can still only experience what corresponds to how it is structured. (See The Window of self). To go further, to experience more of what is reality, you have to also die to True Self.  This, is the experience of No-Self. But this wasn't shown in the last two movies. There was a compromise, needed to defeat the bad guy, ?? forget his name, old age creeping in :-(.
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 11:25AM #97
stardustpilgrim
Posts: 5,277
[ There was a compromise, needed to defeat the bad guy, ?? forget his name, old age creeping in :-(.

Mr.' Smith. Yes, I think that was his name.
d
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 4:50PM #98
DAH54
Posts: 3,318
(One last try.) Hi Sdp, Whether or not you buy what I this is simply a test to see how many lines I can post here and if there is something funny here.I am almost up to four lines now so this should almost be good enough to test this out with. (One last try.) Hi Sdp, Whether or not you buy what I (One last try.) Hi Sdp, Whether or not you buy what I (One last try.) Hi Sdp, Whether or not you buy what I what comes after I?

For Technical support visit


> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:30PM #99
DAH54
Posts: 3,318

wonderment wrote:

What's weird is I could post to the Help Forum.


I've checked the "Quote message in reply? option and now I'll see if I run into a problem here. The Beliefnet editors sometimes have problems with -->' I'm not sure if that will create a problem now or not.

For Technical support visit


> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:33PM #100
DAH54
Posts: 3,318

DAH54 wrote:

I've checked the "Quote message in reply? option and now I'll see if I run into a problem here. The Beliefnet editors sometimes have problems with -->' I'm not sure if that will create a problem now or not.


This is a test to see if the size= command creates problems, this should be size 4 text.

For Technical support visit


> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook