Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 9:48PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Hello and welcome to your new board. Please tell us about yourself and your interest in mysticism.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 3:08PM #2
stardustpilgrim
[QUOTE=BeliefnetSabee;9598]Hello and welcome to your new board. Please tell us about yourself and your interest in mysticism.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks. ........... (I just kept hating to see that "goose egg' up there........ :-) .........
sdp
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 6:59PM #3
Flowupstream
[QUOTE=stardustpilgrim;103365](I just kept hating to see that "goose egg' up there........ :-) .........
sdp[/QUOTE]

OH!!! SDP!
Is "nothing" sacred? Some say "IT" is.
Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.
kip
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 7:59PM #4
Bearsky
Although I started and hosted this forum under the old BN format I had forgotten about it.  Thank you Hatman for reminding me if it! Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 7:59PM #5
Bearsky
Although I started and hosted this forum under the old BN format I had forgotten about it.  Thank you Hatman for reminding me if it! Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 2:44AM #6
reinar
Just a quick hello and good night.  It is good to see familiar usernames.  I enjoy reading all your posts!  : D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 2:44AM #7
reinar
Just a quick hello and good night.  It is good to see familiar usernames.  I enjoy reading all your posts!  : D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 5:58AM #8
BBarton
I'm happy to have found this forum, where you all are so willing to share.  I love the flow and rest easy with your words of wisdom, peace, love, and joy.  Thank you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 5:47PM #9
FantasiaSmith
Hello, Lovely People!

I'm an old hand at Bnet -- was on it way back when all the boards were classified by religion, and us poor "spiritual" types had nowhere to hang out until we hi-jacked an unused "Christian Spirituality" board...  man, those were lean days! -- but although I'm not new to spiritual seeking, I've only begun to study eastern mysticism as of the 1st of this year.

December 31st I started reading a book titled "Power vs. Force -- The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior" by David R. Hawkins, MD, PhD, and I had devoured it ravenously before the end of New Year's Day.  The first 25 pages blew my mind, and it has remained permanently blown -- what, a white guy experienced spontaneous "enlightenment"?

I want that, too!

So I've been learning and exploring hungrily since then, and have had plenty of help from the universe in the process...  Strange words come into my mind, words I've never heard before, each word carrying a message that I understand as soon as I look it up...  words like "kundalini", "prana", "bindu", "Nisargadatta"...  and just last night, "dasha shani" and "suramuni"...

This morning as I lay on the edge of not-sleeping-not-yet-awake, I was talking with my elders in Tibet, my masters.  I don't remember what they said, but I had the sense that they were advising me, and comforting me that they were there for me...  had never left me.  (I've never been to Tibet.)

So now I pray several times a day, "Suramuni, I need you!"

Listening to chants, I almost understand the words.  It's as if I were listening to a language I used to speak long ago...  like French, a foreign language I learned as easily as breathing, no mystery after I went to Versailles and somehow knew intimate features of the landscape and grounds ahead of us before they came into sight...

It's all very strange to someone who has always been immersed completely in the Judeo-Christian culture.  Miracles and angels and reincarnation and spirit guides were only a few steps out of the normal boundaries, I see now, although it seemed rather bizarre to some that I had experienced them...  but the spiritual concepts that are expressed most eloquently in Hinduism and Buddhism are completely foreign to most westerners, including myself.

Yet dramatic as the change in viewpoint has been, it seems the most natural thing in the world.  There is a feeling of, "Of course!  Why didn't I see that before?" along with, "Why hasn't this wisdom been shared with all?"

Is it simply spiritual xenophobia that has prevented wider exposure of westerners to the wisdom of the east?  Or is it more fundamental than that?  Is it just that westerners don't have enough "suramunis" (divine sages) to spark the tinder and blow it into flames?

My words are failing me again...  as they do, often now.  It's time for silence.

Love, Light, and Blessings to all of you!

Claudia
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 12:21PM #10
wonderment
Hi Claudia, and welcome to the Mysticism board!

FantasiaSmith wrote:

Hello, Lovely People!

. . .Yet dramatic as the change in viewpoint has been, it seems the most natural thing in the world. There is a feeling of, "Of course! Why didn't I see that before?" along with, "Why hasn't this wisdom been shared with all?"

Yes, it seems when we touch upon something that simply feels right we know it and we just keep going.

Is it simply spiritual xenophobia that has prevented wider exposure of westerners to the wisdom of the east? Or is it more fundamental than that? Is it just that westerners don't have enough "suramunis" (divine sages) to spark the tinder and blow it into flames?

Claudia

I surely don't know the why's of it. Xenophobia has got to be right up there at the top of the list. For whatever the reasons, fortunately the eastern traditions and philosophies have been slowly, but surely, moving west and making in-roads. Just as centuries ago Buddhism moved from India to China to Japan and other Asian countries, now in the last hundred years or so it's been making its way across the Pacific, as have other eastern traditions and philosophies.  It's a good time to be alive!

Another aspect that's exciting to me is the impact that movement is having on western psychology and science. Whole new ways of looking at the "western" mind.

I also think people like the Trappist Monk; Thomas Merton, who was actually given permission by the Catholic church to practice sitting meditation with Zen Buddhist monks, helped so much to dispel the notion that if one opened the mind to the Zen practice of sitting meditatation one was somehow renouncing the church and God.

Anyway, glad you are here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook