Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:45PM #11
lildeb
Is ther eanyone knowledgable about the meanings of different scents, gems, and color meanings of candles and their use with meditation?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 8:54AM #12
Dionysis10
I  meditate on the  silent space between thoughts. It's interesting to me how  thoughts just keep flowing like a river. I don't hold on to the thoughts but I do enjoy them as they pass through my mind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 10:03AM #13
spiritalk
[QUOTE=Hatman;14668]Dusty-
This is a very common occurrence; there's not a meditator I KNOW of who doesn't have a flood of thoughts occur to them immediately upon attempting to quiet the mind and just BE.

Some have called the process of quieting "soothing the restless puppy", while others refer to it as "sitting on the bank of a river, watching the thoughts sail by."

The key is to have a point of focus, whether it be a candle, a candle in your mind, the spot between your eyebrows where the pineal gland is located, a repeated phrase(Christian mystics, past and present, often focus their minds by the repetitive utterance of "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner") like a mantra, by "following the breath", or whatever.

What happens is that as soon as you attempt to concentrate and focus, the other thoughts immediately intrude; key to conquering this distraction is to simply acknowledge that your thought has strayed, and gently guide it back to where you want to place your intention and your focus.  Attempting to use force to do so is counterproductive.  Just every time your thoughts stray from where YOU want it to go, first acknowledge that it happened, and CHOOSE to place your attention back where it belongs.

Practice no more than 20 minutes at a time; I've also found it effective to create a "sacred space" somewhere in your house, a corner or closet where you can place objects or pictures that help induce a sense of serenity and of the Sacred/Holy/Divine, even if that be nothing more than a stack of books with a white towel tossed over them.

It is in the repeated practice that the Silence comes; it is already present, already in the background of all we say and do.  Go into it, unafraid.

Warmest regards-

Hatman[/QUOTE]

Meditation means by definition - to think upon.  This indicates there is no real elimination of thought - merely a refocusing of it.  Using a scene from nature keeps it natural and peaceful - I like a garden in which I can choose a specific flower to attune to spirit realms for my own spirit guide (one of the many purposes of meditation)

When thoughts come unbidden, some have called this the monkey mind.  It is best to not dwell on the thoughts - but to blow a gentle breeze that allows they enter and exit leaving the mind at peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 10:03AM #14
spiritalk
[QUOTE=Hatman;14668]Dusty-
This is a very common occurrence; there's not a meditator I KNOW of who doesn't have a flood of thoughts occur to them immediately upon attempting to quiet the mind and just BE.

Some have called the process of quieting "soothing the restless puppy", while others refer to it as "sitting on the bank of a river, watching the thoughts sail by."

The key is to have a point of focus, whether it be a candle, a candle in your mind, the spot between your eyebrows where the pineal gland is located, a repeated phrase(Christian mystics, past and present, often focus their minds by the repetitive utterance of "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner") like a mantra, by "following the breath", or whatever.

What happens is that as soon as you attempt to concentrate and focus, the other thoughts immediately intrude; key to conquering this distraction is to simply acknowledge that your thought has strayed, and gently guide it back to where you want to place your intention and your focus.  Attempting to use force to do so is counterproductive.  Just every time your thoughts stray from where YOU want it to go, first acknowledge that it happened, and CHOOSE to place your attention back where it belongs.

Practice no more than 20 minutes at a time; I've also found it effective to create a "sacred space" somewhere in your house, a corner or closet where you can place objects or pictures that help induce a sense of serenity and of the Sacred/Holy/Divine, even if that be nothing more than a stack of books with a white towel tossed over them.

It is in the repeated practice that the Silence comes; it is already present, already in the background of all we say and do.  Go into it, unafraid.

Warmest regards-

Hatman[/QUOTE]

Meditation means by definition - to think upon.  This indicates there is no real elimination of thought - merely a refocusing of it.  Using a scene from nature keeps it natural and peaceful - I like a garden in which I can choose a specific flower to attune to spirit realms for my own spirit guide (one of the many purposes of meditation)

When thoughts come unbidden, some have called this the monkey mind.  It is best to not dwell on the thoughts - but to blow a gentle breeze that allows they enter and exit leaving the mind at peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 11:40AM #15
Dionysis10
Hi Spiritalk, I have been trying to practice a Buddhistic meditation style, what kind would you say yours is?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 1:18PM #16
Dionysis10
I had an interesting experience this morning. In my meditation thoughts, emotions, memories and fantasy’s from the day before and plans for the day to come passed through my mind for about fifteen minutes and then there was calm.
In the calm I experienced a delightful awareness of a spiritual reality not of my own making, neither thoughts nor emotions from the past day or day just beginning. A reality greater than my own wants and needs where my concerns dissipated into the infinite reality I was experiencing. It was like my mind touched a benevolent infinity that I am inclined to call God.

Has anyone had an experience like this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 10:19AM #17
spiritalk
I have practiced meditation (mostly as a tool to attune with spirit realms to meet/greet my personal spirit guide) for a while now.  Many forms and ideas have come to me from many sources, but in the end, I make my meditation a personal experience.  After all, it is the individual's own mind that is the tool - it has to then sit comfortable with the individual - there is no right or wrong way to meditate.

That experience you describe is similar to where and what I experience in my meditations.  I create a place - personal to me - that puts me at peace.  This does not preclude random thoughts - so I like to blow a gentle breeze to have them come then go for consideration later.  When I settle down in my place (it can take time - although there is no time in spirit) I am at peace down to the deepest level of my soul.  That is when I commune with spirit (God). 

Time is an interesting concept - have you ever noticed that you meditate and feel so much has happened (in the mind) that a lot of time has passed - only to open your eyes and see it was but a few minutes?  Or have you thought nothing happened and open your eyes to longer time passing?  Our body feels time and yet, our spirit is free of time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:56PM #18
Dionysis10
I actually find time flys when I meditate, twenty minutes pass while still sorting out yesterdays memories. Then comes the deeper meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:56PM #19
Dionysis10
I actually find time flys when I meditate, twenty minutes pass while still sorting out yesterdays memories. Then comes the deeper meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 1:57PM #20
stardustpilgrim
[QUOTE=DustyLady;14944]Hatman, fancy running into you here!  Anyway, thanks for the advice.  My husband has tried to tell me the same thing for a long time.  As I said before, I'm currently taking medication to help me sleep, because I was laying awake for hours at a time, my thoughts becoming more and more bizarre the harder I tried to put them aside.  It was interfering with my work.  I'm a little reluctant to voluntarily go through that experience during my waking hours as well.

But I'm not ruling it out in the future.

Dusty[/QUOTE]

DustyLady, hope you're still around. If you will increase your physical activity I think you'll find it will help you sleep. Try walking either in the morning or the afternoon (or some kind of sports activity). From the food you eat  you create a certain amount of energy for each day. You can't sleep well unless you burn up this energy. The writer EM Cioran fought insomnia for years. His remedy was to get on his bicycle and ride until exhaustion brought sleep. Believe me, when your body is tired, you'll sleep.
stardustpilgrim
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook