Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 4:55PM #51
nnn123
Here are a couple of websites which list meditations and meditation techniques:

www.freemeditations.com

+++

Zen Mountain Monastery Meditation Instructions

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

+++

Christian Meditation

http://www.centeringprayer.com/cntrgpryr.htm

(Centering prayer is called "prayer" but it is quite meditative)

+++

I've practiced various techniques...mostly very standard practices, like those mentioned in the websites above.

Namaste,
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 7:47AM #52
NancyNic
I love your description of meditation - especially because you can meditate anywhere.  Often we think of meditation as sitting on cushions and reciting a mantra, which is a form of meditation but not the only way to meditate.  Your meditation brings you (and those around you) peace.  And meditating at a rock concert is a great example of being still and quiet no matter what is happening around you!

There are many forms of meditation - I often meditate to bring lovingkindness to myself and others.  This meditation helps me to be in touch with positivity and kindness.  It reminds me that all beings are interconnected and loving ourselves and all beings can change our world into a place of compassion.  And I think we need to take those feelings of compassion for others out into the world, and to live with compassion for others.

Thank you so much for sharing your meditation with us.  I will try it!

NancyNic
www.mindfulworkshops.com

[QUOTE=Crest;5061]Whenever I meditate, I close my eyes and breath in and out. I don't have to be in a quiet environment, or even sitting down. I could easily stand and do it at a rock concert. Maybe saying a silent prayer, I let the peace wash over me, like waves. Finally, I get to the part where I clear my mind, sending away all my fears and emotions. Eventually though, I have to stop and get back to life.

How do the rest of you meditate?[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 7:48AM #53
NancyNic
check out www.mindfulworkshops.com for more ideas on how to meditate in daily life through our work, our family lives and our communication with others!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 7:10PM #54
darkthroneofeth
When I begin, there is no alcohol, depressants or stimulants in my system.  Up to 2 cups of coffee max.
I sit down in my asana (posture):  feet flat, straight, toes pointing forward.  My shoulders, arms and hand are relaxed, hands resting palms-down on my lap.  My spine straight to help better align the chakras and head straight forward.  The Hindus call this position "The god".  I settle and close my eyes and slow my breathing down little by little and monitor my body to make sure I stay still, and neglect any itching, pain and cramping.  I have not yet gotten to the point where there is no physical impulses that distract the mind, which is Asana's goal--to eliminate distracting physical stimuli.  My record is, so far, 1 hour 20 min.  I have a long way to go.  The asana is only the first phase.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2008 - 7:13PM #55
darkthroneofeth
What effects are you looking for?  incense and candles are the two main I know about.  There are books of correspondences out there as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 9:57PM #56
rvalin
[QUOTE=DustyLady;5277]My problem is that I can't meditate.  I can't clear my mind; thoughts keep crowding in to fill it even as I'm trying to empty it.  And the longer this goes on, and the harder I try to empty my mind, the more bizarre and even frightening the thoughts get that fill it.  Sometimes the same thing happens when I try to clear my mind to go to sleep at night.  My husband is a big fan of meditation; he says it took him years to be able to get there.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to see how strange my thoughts will get before I do.

Dusty[/QUOTE]

The idea that you have to empty your mind in meditation is in my opinion not correct.  Unless your brain stops functioning you will always be aware of something.  Sooner or later in meditation practice the unconscious part of the mind begins to become conscious.  This is a point at which many people stop meditation because of the discomfort involved.  The task as I understand it at this point is to become the observer of what is emerging and then gently return to your focus point whether that be breath, a scriptural passage or a mantra.  You do this each time something bubbles up from the unconscious.  The discipline here is to be an observer of the process without any judgment or emotional reaction.  You are being offered a wonderful opportunity to empty yourself of your unconscious positive and negative emotional attachments.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:34PM #57
christina&jesus1on1
I Begin Every Day With One On One Time With Jesus! I Go Into My Prayer Closet And After Worship And Prayer ,i Will Stay Knelt On My Knees With My Face In My Bed And Wait For God To Speak. To Me.alot Of The Time I Can Meditate Driving Down The Road And Get Revelations From God.we Only Have To Listen.as Far As Personal Meditation Away From The Spiritual I Could Not Answer Because My Life Is In The Spirit.'praise The Lord"by The Way I Am A One God Apostolic Pentacostal,holy Ghost Filled Annointed Women Of God With A Victorious Life And Great Faith,and A Close Relationship With Jesus,i Am Very Blessed!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2009 - 2:24AM #58
mofam22081

hello all,  I have studied many different ways to meditate.  When the mind is full of many things and it is very hard to clear it I believe it can be called a monkey mind. Constantly thinking. After a long day at work I try to meditate at least 10 mins - 1 hour daily. It helps keep the negative energies that I have absorbed from the people I see. A hot cup of tea, lit candles and sometimes incense burning. I like vibrations the most that seem to work for me the best. Sounds of nature, spiritual sounds of the flute and sacred drums and much more.  I either sit down with my feet flat on the floor, hands relaxed intertwine with one another, or lieing down with legs slightly apart and hands relaxed on my stomach/ This position can cause me to fall asleep so I don't do it often, standing up focusing on grounding my feet to mother earth. Grounding you can read in many books. Been very successful in a hot shower amagineing a water fall and walking meditation. I still need to practice the walking techniqe to succeed. I have tried just relaxing every single muscle in the body starting with head down through my body as I think of each part/muscle. Think of my special serenity place that no one could enter but me and those I may invite like Angels, Jesus, Mother God and Father God. Sometimes I invite the wisdom of budda teachings in and so forth. As I am thinking of that place breathing is very important to consentrate on in through the nose with a deep breath and exhale slowly out a small opening of the mouth. By counting your breaths and focusing the length of them they get slower and less amounts that I am thinking about. Sometimes I follow the sound of my heart beat. And with the heart beat along with my exhale I sometimes with a low deep voice say OM which will vibrate my mind to another place with the all loving God/Goddess. There are so many ways to find peace within. I have read into different cultures and tried many of them. At the present time I am taking courses on shamanism and learning how many cultures use meditation for healing purposes. and in pagan/wiccan traditions in which  is included of my studies. So much is avaiable to many people who are interested in learning these ways. These were sacred for only those who were born into it. I see more and more leaving the structure religious path to seek these ancient and sacred ways of living for peace with in and out. The more that learn and appreciate what Mother Earth and Father God has given to us and use it without hurting anyone. No doubt in my mind we will come together as one like in my dreams. So many ways to meditate, I try to learn as many kinds and see what works for me. The library, Borders and mail/on line resources helped me. Just pray for some guidance and look for the signs they will come. Mine didn't just come it came pouring in. That is why I don't just stay with one way. Blessed Be CLM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 1:48PM #59
Angelstcyr

I am usually in a laying down position with hedphones to listen to my mediation cds.  I do at times sit in a chair as well,, especially if I am llstening to a meditation online.  Angel St.Cyr

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 3:00PM #60
humboldt-don

Ive created these audio nature meditations   - they are available to listen to free at: www.codedimensions.com/satorisnd - With subtle stereo theta wave inducing Binaural Beats and set to  base Solfeggio Frequencies , along with digital stereo live nature  recordings and rich deep  synthesized tracks - and  enhanced with digital sound loops and effects.  I hope you enjoy these as much as i do - i use these meditations daily and find them a wonderful way to encourage the mind to relax and the spirit to find peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook