Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
7 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2007 - 10:57AM #41
Dionysis10
I think it was Gandi who said we are like fish swimming in God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 3:22PM #42
CLHazz
I have attempted to mediatate in the past, but a) I fall asleep, b)I get distracrted by outside noises and c)have trouble quieting my mind. Though I have done deep breathing before to calm me down, to ground myself. This morning I tried it without any sound, I just couldn't get into it. I know it's likely I am being hard on myself. I would like to get into the practice of meditating.  Any thoughts on how I could go about starting
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 9:57AM #43
Dionysis10
Hi CLHazz,
I use breathing as a tool, deep breathing. Pushing the air out and not pulling it in but letting it in. Breathing from the abdomen helps me focus on just breathing.

I don’t think we can control our mind; it seems to flow like a river carrying us along with it. Buddha said the mind is like a theater, enjoy it. 

I think we can experience a greater awareness in meditation when we acknowledge but don’t hold onto thoughts and emotions not being distracted but just let them go.

I think the only control we have is in choosing to not hold on.

If I do get distracted, no big deal, I just start focusing on breathing again. Joy will come.

I meditate for joy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 9:57AM #44
Dionysis10
Hi CLHazz,
I use breathing as a tool, deep breathing. Pushing the air out and not pulling it in but letting it in. Breathing from the abdomen helps me focus on just breathing.

I don’t think we can control our mind; it seems to flow like a river carrying us along with it. Buddha said the mind is like a theater, enjoy it. 

I think we can experience a greater awareness in meditation when we acknowledge but don’t hold onto thoughts and emotions not being distracted but just let them go.

I think the only control we have is in choosing to not hold on.

If I do get distracted, no big deal, I just start focusing on breathing again. Joy will come.

I meditate for joy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 9:25PM #45
CLHazz
Thanks for your help.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 2:13PM #46
spiritalk
[QUOTE=CLHazz;176976]I have attempted to mediatate in the past, but a) I fall asleep, b)I get distracrted by outside noises and c)have trouble quieting my mind. Though I have done deep breathing before to calm me down, to ground myself. This morning I tried it without any sound, I just couldn't get into it. I know it's likely I am being hard on myself. I would like to get into the practice of meditating.  Any thoughts on how I could go about starting[/QUOTE]

Meditation is using your mind - so it is up to you.  Meditation means 'to think upon' - perhaps you are attempting to sit in silence and fail time and again.  You are bound to - our minds were never meant to be silent.

We are not stopping our mind, we are changing its pattern.  Consider a lesson in finding a place of peace (something that resonates with your own soul in nature - a picture of a garden, a river, a waterfall, a mountain - its your own comfort zone).  Keep your mind in this picture and when it wanders (as it will) keep bringing it back to the original picture.  (This is for the visual) 

Listen to a soft music tape - something classical - without words but a nice rhythm (I have one of romantic songs by the masters and people hearing it want to dance - which then becomes part of the meditation experience) (This is for the auditory). 

Consider....all your senses are being sensitized to the psychic vibrational level so any and all of them can be opening and functioning.  Was that smell in the room or from spirit?  Did you feel that brush against your sleeve?  I can just taste that chocolate on my tongue!  (This is for the other senses)

Make all meditation experiences your own.  It is your mind after all.  Don't make unattainable expectations!  Just sit quiet and commune.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 11:26AM #47
catboxer
One of the hardest things for any normally developed human mind to do is to think of nothing for any extended period of time. For the mind to be full of worries, anxieties, pleasurable thoughts, fantasies, reveries, plans and anticipations is the usual state of affairs, and our awareness is ordinarily so taken up with those kinds of mental ripples that as a consequence we are mostly unaware of even the details and nuances of our immediate surroundings.

And if we find it difficult to focus our awareness on our immediate environments, and it's a task of no easy accomplishment to eliminate the mental static that interferes with doing so, how much more difficult would it be to take as the mind's object an awareness of only awareness itself, or in other words, to think of nothing?

The teacher of my teachers, Gary Kraftsow, refers to this kind of pure awareness as "that which never changes," as opposed to those malleable, finite, and short-lived thought formations which are the normal and ordinary objects of our consciousness. Pure awareness, then, would be a subject with no object, and aware only of itself.

I've been finding out first hand just how hard it is to achieve this rare and fleeting state of mind. The mind abhors an empty room, and seeks to occupy itself with any object that comes conveniently to hand. This morning as I attended to my breathing, I attempted to prevent the natural inclination of my mind to grasp for an object -- any object -- if left unattended for more than a fraction of a second. I actually succeeded for brief periods of up to maybe half a minute, in keeping at bay any mental object other than an awareness of the breath.

What happened during those brief seconds was unusual for me (although I'm sure it wouldn't be for those accomplished at this sort of thing). I felt as if the mind's eye was seeing, at some distance, a white light or white radiance of some sort, although where it was coming from I couldn't tell. It seemed to arise somewhere on the left side of the inner vision.

I'm pretty certain more will be revealed.
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 11:26AM #48
catboxer
One of the hardest things for any normally developed human mind to do is to think of nothing for any extended period of time. For the mind to be full of worries, anxieties, pleasurable thoughts, fantasies, reveries, plans and anticipations is the usual state of affairs, and our awareness is ordinarily so taken up with those kinds of mental ripples that as a consequence we are mostly unaware of even the details and nuances of our immediate surroundings.

And if we find it difficult to focus our awareness on our immediate environments, and it's a task of no easy accomplishment to eliminate the mental static that interferes with doing so, how much more difficult would it be to take as the mind's object an awareness of only awareness itself, or in other words, to think of nothing?

The teacher of my teachers, Gary Kraftsow, refers to this kind of pure awareness as "that which never changes," as opposed to those malleable, finite, and short-lived thought formations which are the normal and ordinary objects of our consciousness. Pure awareness, then, would be a subject with no object, and aware only of itself.

I've been finding out first hand just how hard it is to achieve this rare and fleeting state of mind. The mind abhors an empty room, and seeks to occupy itself with any object that comes conveniently to hand. This morning as I attended to my breathing, I attempted to prevent the natural inclination of my mind to grasp for an object -- any object -- if left unattended for more than a fraction of a second. I actually succeeded for brief periods of up to maybe half a minute, in keeping at bay any mental object other than an awareness of the breath.

What happened during those brief seconds was unusual for me (although I'm sure it wouldn't be for those accomplished at this sort of thing). I felt as if the mind's eye was seeing, at some distance, a white light or white radiance of some sort, although where it was coming from I couldn't tell. It seemed to arise somewhere on the left side of the inner vision.

I'm pretty certain more will be revealed.
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 1:21AM #49
Whisperingal
CatB--meditation is not "thinking of nothing."

It's focussing thoughts in a particular and specific way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 1:46PM #50
pr_la_verdad
(i did the random discussion option and got this forum).

focusing on nature, perhaps water, different forms of water -
a waterfall, a river, a lake, the ocean, ice, steam,
the way it flows, the way it moves, the way it sticks together
like raindrops, perhaps contemplate the molecular scale -
the individual molecules, atoms, electrons, the space between,
what mankind does not yet know about water.

focusing on the nature of nature, the laws of nature,
what is and what is not, trying to keep the bliss,
seeking to realize, my nature, our nature, nature of the Self, of awareness itself,
get to know the barriers to further realization, will accept.

it should feel right.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook