Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 8:53PM #31
SerapisMaitreya
I just sit.  I begin with a simple prayer.  Perform some pranayam, chant a simple manta, and feel the silence that surrounds me.  It matters not if I am in a silent room or if their is noise around me.  Thoughts will come and go, but I will feel the silence that surrounds me.  The silence is there simultaneously with all the thoughts and the external noises, but serenity will always be the outcome.  It is a joy!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 11:30AM #32
eputkonen
Meditation is an ever popular topic for discussion groups, classes, workshops, etc. I talk about a very simple, yet powerful way to meditate in epidsode 6 of the podcast, "Out of Our Minds". It requires that we do nothing at all.

It is under 15 minutes long - audio.

http://oom.awaken2life.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 7:24AM #33
Whisperingal
I put on headphones and listen to some music that I know from past experiences will induce theta or alpha state.

WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 9:51AM #34
Urukai
Hey all,
I like to try all different forms of meditations...guided to a specific scene or specific scenario, chanting; aum mani padma boom :p .., Mandalas, reaction to this or that...

The latest experiments involve sound, playing different sounds while sitting or maybe the sound of someone's voice or someone's stillness - what they don't say...
I've been trying also meditation in motion; can I be still and listen while moving; doing everyday stuff; chores shopping, educating watching my own reaction, interacting with people coming to center in the moment letting all outside stuff fall away...

Blessings...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 1:40PM #35
Whisperingal
Urukai--the movement idea is interesting. I do Yoga--of a sort--I've been shown poses for me and they aid meditation--

--for me that is the movement I do for/while meditating sometimes.

What kind(s) of movement do you use?

Thanks in advance for any info.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 1:55PM #36
Urukai
The movement can be anything; yoga (I love yoga as well), martial arts, sweeping your floor, petting a dog or cat, whatever the form...its the motion...Let your body carry the movement not your conscious thoughts..you could be doing a Sun salutation or swirling water across plate that your washing...it doesn't matter...just let your body take over doing whatever it is doing while you go 'out' for a walk so to speak...

Blessings...:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 10:43AM #37
Dionysis10
sometimes I walk and silently say thank you with each breath.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 11:57AM #38
Whisperingal
Urukai--thanks for the examples--I know that exercize--cardio for example--does this very well.

Other things--like weightlifting take one's full attention however.

WGal

Driving a vehicle can be very helpful for meditating--however you have to do it in a very safe way and in a very safe place.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 9:24AM #39
Dionysis10
I meditate when I swim laps at the Y. It's really great. Controlled breathing coordinated with arm strokes and kicks while moving through the water opens my mind to the place athletes experience endomorphs. It's a very refreshing meditation breath stroke breath.
I start with one breath and one stroke, than one breath and two strokes, then three and four strokes per breath. It's easy to think of nothing but breath and strokes creating internal space being one with my environment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2007 - 3:37AM #40
Crest
Generally, I sit down somewhere (it's easiest when I'm comfortable) and I think very hard upon a single subject. If another thought tries to intrude, I send it away. Occasionaly, I may chant a mantra.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook