Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 1:57PM #21
stardustpilgrim
[QUOTE=DustyLady;14944]Hatman, fancy running into you here!  Anyway, thanks for the advice.  My husband has tried to tell me the same thing for a long time.  As I said before, I'm currently taking medication to help me sleep, because I was laying awake for hours at a time, my thoughts becoming more and more bizarre the harder I tried to put them aside.  It was interfering with my work.  I'm a little reluctant to voluntarily go through that experience during my waking hours as well.

But I'm not ruling it out in the future.

Dusty[/QUOTE]

DustyLady, hope you're still around. If you will increase your physical activity I think you'll find it will help you sleep. Try walking either in the morning or the afternoon (or some kind of sports activity). From the food you eat  you create a certain amount of energy for each day. You can't sleep well unless you burn up this energy. The writer EM Cioran fought insomnia for years. His remedy was to get on his bicycle and ride until exhaustion brought sleep. Believe me, when your body is tired, you'll sleep.
stardustpilgrim
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory. Alfred Korzybski
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 9:35AM #22
Dionysis10
"How do the rest of you meditate?"

To begin, I sit, feeling solidity from the ground. I cross my legs to let my mind know I am not going any where. I rest my hands on my knees or lap; they need not be in a special hand posture. I hold my back straight; it aligns the body and puts the mind in a wakeful and aware state. I hold my head respectfully gently nodded forward. I close my eyes to experience the internal theater of thoughts and emotions. I do not clench my jaws releasing tension and agitation. Now I am ready to muster up a calm and sincere mind. I meditate for 20 minutes.
I breathe from the abdomen. The abdomen is the center of the entire body. In breaths are generally shorter than out breaths.
I like to meditate until I become conscious of transcendent interconnectedness with others and all things. I meditate for 20 minutes or more but five minutes where we become aware of transcendent empathy and compassion is superior to an hour of nodding off to sleep.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 1:44PM #23
Shuny
[QUOTE=DustyLady;5277]My problem is that I can't meditate.  I can't clear my mind; thoughts keep crowding in to fill it even as I'm trying to empty it.  And the longer this goes on, and the harder I try to empty my mind, the more bizarre and even frightening the thoughts get that fill it.  Sometimes the same thing happens when I try to clear my mind to go to sleep at night.  My husband is a big fan of meditation; he says it took him years to be able to get there.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to see how strange my thoughts will get before I do.

Dusty[/QUOTE]
Hi Dusty,
if your thoughts don't let you meditate, try with some active meditation, like Dinamic Meditation or Kundalini Meditation or Nataraj...are all made for western people that cannot simply seat. In these meditations you first use the body in different actives way and then in the last stage you will be able to simply seat.
Shuny
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 9:21AM #24
Dionysis10
Dustylady says  thoughts keep crowding in as she tries to clear it.

What works for me is noteing the thoughts and the emotions. The thoughts will never stop. I Just let the thoughts come note and let them dissipate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 10:14AM #25
spiritalk
And I blow a gentle breeze through my meditation and allow them to come and go without disturbance to the flow of the meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 2:38PM #26
kissthestarswithme
When I meditate, I sit infront of my altar and usually do a guided meditation.  I find it's much easier to quiet and focus my mind for meditation after I do yoga.  Then I will commune with deity and pray.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 2:02PM #27
Tarak
I use the traditional method of meditation on the sacred syllable OM. There is a beliefnet article on this at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/180/story_18082_1.html which outlines the steps involved with useful tips.

I think some of the most useful general tips I have heard about meditation are these:

Relax. Tension can ruin meditation by causing all kinds of unwanted thoughts to arise in the mind.

Persevere. Plod rhymes with God.

Develop the habit of remembering God throughout the day. This makes meditation time all the more effective. And meditation helps develop the habit of remembering God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 8:20PM #28
Joseph14
Dusty,

What colors do you see when you attempt to meditate? Sometimes the colors reveal how well you can meditate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 11:41AM #29
Dionysis10
SerapisMaitreya; Thanks for the quote. I imagine you have been meditating for some time? I have only been meditating 2 years, I come to meditation believing in one God. I’ll share my thought.

I am finding, the part of me I know as self makes tranquility possible. Self is in control of the meditation, the dominant reality in my meditation when subtlest self asserts itself. By noting the thoughts and letting go self takes dominion.  In this space I experience benevolent “isness”. 

I find “isness” in the silence between the flow of thoughts.  I don't know if “isness” originates within my self or from outside, but I like to think of  “isness” as having a transcendent quality greater than just mine.  For me the flow of thoughts and emotions can often carry me away with them. I am experimenting now with just noting the thoughts and letting them dissipate. I find I have discovered my mind or my self as that which identifies but does not identify with by holding onto. By mindfully noting thoughts I find I am no longer like a leaf blowing in the wind but like unto a stone water flows and eddies about. I am thinking of Self as “isness” mine and transcendent at the same time, like a relationship with a transcendent reality, the spirit of all that is. What do you think?

"Hidden in the heart of every creature
Exists the Self, subtler than the subtlest,
Greater than the greatest."

The Katha Upanishad
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 11:41AM #30
Dionysis10
SerapisMaitreya; Thanks for the quote. I imagine you have been meditating for some time? I have only been meditating 2 years, I come to meditation believing in one God. I’ll share my thought.

I am finding, the part of me I know as self makes tranquility possible. Self is in control of the meditation, the dominant reality in my meditation when subtlest self asserts itself. By noting the thoughts and letting go self takes dominion.  In this space I experience benevolent “isness”. 

I find “isness” in the silence between the flow of thoughts.  I don't know if “isness” originates within my self or from outside, but I like to think of  “isness” as having a transcendent quality greater than just mine.  For me the flow of thoughts and emotions can often carry me away with them. I am experimenting now with just noting the thoughts and letting them dissipate. I find I have discovered my mind or my self as that which identifies but does not identify with by holding onto. By mindfully noting thoughts I find I am no longer like a leaf blowing in the wind but like unto a stone water flows and eddies about. I am thinking of Self as “isness” mine and transcendent at the same time, like a relationship with a transcendent reality, the spirit of all that is. What do you think?

"Hidden in the heart of every creature
Exists the Self, subtler than the subtlest,
Greater than the greatest."

The Katha Upanishad
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook