Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How do you meditate?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 6:04PM #1
Crest
Whenever I meditate, I close my eyes and breath in and out. I don't have to be in a quiet environment, or even sitting down. I could easily stand and do it at a rock concert. Maybe saying a silent prayer, I let the peace wash over me, like waves. Finally, I get to the part where I clear my mind, sending away all my fears and emotions. Eventually though, I have to stop and get back to life.

How do the rest of you meditate?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 8:15PM #2
DustyLady
My problem is that I can't meditate.  I can't clear my mind; thoughts keep crowding in to fill it even as I'm trying to empty it.  And the longer this goes on, and the harder I try to empty my mind, the more bizarre and even frightening the thoughts get that fill it.  Sometimes the same thing happens when I try to clear my mind to go to sleep at night.  My husband is a big fan of meditation; he says it took him years to be able to get there.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to see how strange my thoughts will get before I do.

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 5:23PM #3
Hatman

DustyLady wrote:

My problem is that I can't meditate.  I can't clear my mind; thoughts keep crowding in to fill it even as I'm trying to empty it.  And the longer this goes on, and the harder I try to empty my mind, the more bizarre and even frightening the thoughts get that fill it.  Sometimes the same thing happens when I try to clear my mind to go to sleep at night.  My husband is a big fan of meditation; he says it took him years to be able to get there.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to see how strange my thoughts will get before I do.

Dusty

Dusty-
This is a very common occurrence; there's not a meditator I KNOW of who doesn't have a flood of thoughts occur to them immediately upon attempting to quiet the mind and just BE.

Some have called the process of quieting "soothing the restless puppy", while others refer to it as "sitting on the bank of a river, watching the thoughts sail by."

The key is to have a point of focus, whether it be a candle, a candle in your mind, the spot between your eyebrows where the pineal gland is located, a repeated phrase(Christian mystics, past and present, often focus their minds by the repetitive utterance of "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner") like a mantra, by "following the breath", or whatever.

What happens is that as soon as you attempt to concentrate and focus, the other thoughts immediately intrude; key to conquering this distraction is to simply acknowledge that your thought has strayed, and gently guide it back to where you want to place your intention and your focus.  Attempting to use force to do so is counterproductive.  Just every time your thoughts stray from where YOU want it to go, first acknowledge that it happened, and CHOOSE to place your attention back where it belongs.

Practice no more than 20 minutes at a time; I've also found it effective to create a "sacred space" somewhere in your house, a corner or closet where you can place objects or pictures that help induce a sense of serenity and of the Sacred/Holy/Divine, even if that be nothing more than a stack of books with a white towel tossed over them.

It is in the repeated practice that the Silence comes; it is already present, already in the background of all we say and do.  Go into it, unafraid.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 7:27PM #4
DustyLady
Hatman, fancy running into you here!  Anyway, thanks for the advice.  My husband has tried to tell me the same thing for a long time.  As I said before, I'm currently taking medication to help me sleep, because I was laying awake for hours at a time, my thoughts becoming more and more bizarre the harder I tried to put them aside.  It was interfering with my work.  I'm a little reluctant to voluntarily go through that experience during my waking hours as well.

But I'm not ruling it out in the future.

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 2:37AM #5
deshunda3333
Hello,
I just started with meditation again. It was tough and still can be you know, clearing the mind and all. But what I got into was scented candels and oils. Smells can make such  big difference. It makes me calm and it makes me feel so relaxed. I sit in an indian style like I always do and for a few minutes takes deep breaths or sometimes fast breaths until my breaths get deep for a few minutes. If I am mad I chant. I say this chant over and over again until I loose my breath. With the smells, relaxing the mind, and breathing I feel as if I am in anoher world...a very safe world. If I feel I ned something by myside as I meditate, I grab that item and I am good to go.

Meketa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 11:57PM #6
anap
I can be anywhere...close my eyes and I am gone.

It took a lot of practice to get to where I am today. My thoughts used to wonder but now I can disconnect anywhere..anytime and for as log as I wish. All I have to do is take a deeeppppppp breath..count to 3-4 and then exhale to 5 counts.

I also  chant....thats a form of meditation as well
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 6:29PM #7
Shihulud
I do a kundalini set and then sit silently while focusing on my brow chakra or my spine (depending on what I am trying to accomplish). Sometimes I might recite a mantra. When I am ready to finish I focus on the sensations in my entire body. Sometimes if I am particulary stressed I imagine the negative feelings washing down from the top of my head and out of my feet, and then my body filling with peace and truth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:17PM #8
anap
beautiful pictures...

you are very talented
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:45PM #9
lildeb
Is ther eanyone knowledgable about the meanings of different scents, gems, and color meanings of candles and their use with meditation?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:17PM #10
anap
beautiful pictures...

you are very talented
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement