Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Words along the path
10 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 2:20AM #1
paksmrbk
I'm going to guess that each of us has a text or two that speaks or has spoken to us at critical points along the journey.  For me, there are several:  My mother gave me a copy of "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran when I was about 13, & I keep going back to it years later.  Oddly enough, Spider Robinson's Callahan series has taught me as much or more about compassion, empathy, and really listening as any specifically religious text.  Also, when I was younger, I committed large sections of Bullfinch's Mythology to memory.  Somehow those tales resonated for me.

What books or words have spoken to you that you might be willing to share?
paks
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 8:48AM #2
TonyCoyote
Some texts that have been large influences on me have been "The Meditations," by Marcus Aurelius and "The Havamal" from the Poetic Edda.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 9:46AM #3
spiritalk
The Power of Positive Thought opened a whole new direction for me - way back when.  It showed me that going to church wasn't so bad, if you maintained your own spirituality centre at the same time.  It made for a journey of feeling odd man out for a time as it fit into the spiritual lessons I sought and received.

It showed me also how important it is to be comfortable in the seeking.  Pre-computer boards (which have replaced the churches in so many ways) it was OK to seek spirituality in the various religions.  But it wasn't OK to share the journey as not too many questioned the status quo.

For those who feel they have no religion - you might look at life a little differently to realize that the community that religion/church provided has been replaced by the internet.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 10:20PM #4
GreenEyedLily
Mine seems rather silly compared to the ones you all have listed...but my Mom recommended a novel that was about a girl who had gifts but didnt want them, or want to acknowledge them.  I mean yes, it was a novel - it was fictitious - but the main character had similar thoughts to mine throughout parts of the book.  Enough so that I finally accepted and embraced my own unique traits, gifts and abilities.  It was called Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts.  Silly...but true!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 1:20PM #5
strange_err
[QUOTE=GreenEyedLily;9663]Mine seems rather silly compared to the ones you all have listed...but my Mom recommended a novel ...  Silly...but true![/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem silly to me at all... some of the books which have spoken the most to me have been books that I have understood to be fictional and/or symbolic in nature.

I guess for me, the Tao te Ching and Chuang Tzu have spoken to me quite a bit, and the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous... those have probably been the books that have had the greatest impact on my spirituality. Torah and the Zohar have been very important to me as well, but in different ways. A lot of books that were about faiths that I don't even really claim as my own have been very important to me as well, ranging from things as sane and down-to-earth as The Screwtape Letters, all the way up to stuff like Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner and things as far out as Temporary Autonomous Zone.

Then there's all the novels, like Already Dead and Neverwhere, and comic books like the Sandman series and Blankets. I kind of figure, G-d made everything and His signature is to be found anywhere, it's just that some places it's easier for me to see and understand it than others.

~mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 2:39PM #6
eputkonen
I started out my spiritual journey when someone gave me "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda...I still read it every year or two.

I really liked Eckhart Tolle's video - 'The Flowering of Human Consciousness".

But I would recommend also anything listed on my favorite books on my website - http://www.awaken2life.org/fav.html

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
http://www.awaken2life.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 9:29AM #7
erthmohr
Redfields' books years ago, Illusions, more recently Conversations with God.
There are just so many wonderful books I enjoy.  Too many to name.

Smiles,
Donna
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook