Page 2 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
6 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 5:11PM #11
javababe
Ive always understood 'religion' to be a system of beliefs and activities that are followed with little or no question. I remember once that we were told of a temple (eastern system) that had a sign above the door which read , "leave your mind outside". The person who told us this was a christian pastor who was using the image to explain how christianity is one of the few faiths that allow and even encourage questions. As my years in the christian faith grew, I noted that this pastor's sentiment was rare indeed. I left the 'church' due in large part to the dogmatic religiosity. What struck home was realizing that when I dutifully attended services, helped out periodically, and hung out with the other christians, then I was 'ok'.  When I chose to stop helping so much, attended fewer services, and I spent less time with them, my FAITH was suspect. When I finally stopped attending altogether and didnt have much contact at all with the others, except running in to them in public places, no one called, or seemed concerned and pretty much wrote me off. THAT is religion. There is no heart.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 10:13PM #12
deshunda3333
I love this Holistic faith. Everything makes more scense to me...

Meketa
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 8:07AM #13
religionfree
[QUOTE=javababe;14627]Ive always understood 'religion' to be a system of beliefs and activities that are followed with little or no question. I remember once that we were told of a temple (eastern system) that had a sign above the door which read , "leave your mind outside". The person who told us this was a christian pastor who was using the image to explain how christianity is one of the few faiths that allow and even encourage questions. As my years in the christian faith grew, I noted that this pastor's sentiment was rare indeed. I left the 'church' due in large part to the dogmatic religiosity. What struck home was realizing that when I dutifully attended services, helped out periodically, and hung out with the other christians, then I was 'ok'.  When I chose to stop helping so much, attended fewer services, and I spent less time with them, my FAITH was suspect. When I finally stopped attending altogether and didnt have much contact at all with the others, except running in to them in public places, no one called, or seemed concerned and pretty much wrote me off. THAT is religion. There is no heart.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought of religion to be like a social club.  If you pay your club dues (fealty) and attended functions (church) you are accepted.  If you question or slack, your membership is suspended.

That's just me.
"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 10:06AM #14
javababe
That's interesting. In practice it seems that way as well; there are cliques within the religious network of church and folks usually are discouraged from 'mingling' with those of other groups. Folks who are former churchgoers know exactly what I mean.  That is why I turn down offers to attend church. Im now seeking other methods of spiritual expression in solitary and with others, if I can find those of likeminded seeking. (no luck thus far)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:08AM #15
ArtistSpirit
[QUOTE=hithrael;860]

"What does Holistic Spirituality, or Spiritual but not Religious mean to you?"

~N[/QUOTE]

I meditate but I do not like the rules of set religious organizations telling me what is and isn't true. I use to follow "Christian religion" but I feel I out grew the evangelical rules. I do believe in Christ spirit but not systems rules.  Christians use to tell me to be careful don't meditate as it could open me up to devils....I just can not live under such nonsensical restrictions. I also read about many other faiths and take what rings true with my spirit. Spiritual but not religious.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:40PM #16
Nightowl35
[QUOTE=GreenEyedLily;11332]
I dont like the confines of religion either - I am nothing, yet I am everything...and although Atheists dont believe in anything that in itself is a belief isnt it?  I dont judge or critisize anyone for what they believe in (or dont believe in)...that is our right as humans to believe or not believe in whatever we choose.  If we all believed the same thing what a boring world we would live in! 
[/QUOTE]

Hey GreenEyedLily. I'm with you (on being nothing and everything)! 

As for Atheists, I think it's a common misconception that they don't believe in anything. It's been my understanding that the *only* thing Atheists necessarily have in common is their lack of belief in gods. That's why I've really avoided that label ... it just seems like a reactionary label to theism and doesn't mean much else (to me).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:43PM #17
Nightowl35
[QUOTE=javababe;14627]When I finally stopped attending altogether and didnt have much contact at all with the others, except running in to them in public places, no one called, or seemed concerned and pretty much wrote me off. THAT is religion. There is no heart.[/QUOTE]

That was fairly similar to my experience, too. But I hope it isn't that way for everyone!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:45PM #18
Nightowl35
[QUOTE=religionfree;10338]
I think of Holistic Spirituality as encompassing the ALL without attempting to dissect or take apart.  This does not mean, however, that I agree with religious teachings.  I don't.[/QUOTE]

I think that's an excellent definition of Holistic Spirituality!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:47PM #19
GreenEyedLily
Hehe ya know...not to be disrespectful to anyone or any belief...but whenever I meet someone that goes to church and they find out that I dont go to church and have never been (other than weddings/funerals) its like they are a dealer - a church dealer!  "come on!  you so have to come!  its so fun and everyone is so non-judgemental"...to me I figure if someone mentions judging in their opening statement it makes me a little heedy lolol...

I have nothing against religion other than those who LOVE to tell me Im going to hell or that they want to save me!  Once I asked - save me from what exactly?  And they just left hehehee
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 12:16PM #20
Urukai

hithrael wrote:

Since its been a while since this question has been batted around,

"What does Holistic Spirituality, or Spiritual but not Religious mean to you?"

~N

Holistic to me refers to the whole, that which is not separate and when we talk about spirituality Holism refers to that which involves our whole spirit, our sense of what our soul needs to be whole...
On a wider, broader scale Holistic spirituality involves everyone - that though we are cellular, we all matter, no soul is really separate...

How I feel about religion is summed up thusly- where once there was a circle of people now there are rows of pews...where once people held hands speaking in tandem to each other creating the words of Gods...(In the beginning there was the Word and the Word was with God everywhere) now there are those who try to speak the mind and the words of God for all...
Imagine god as energy everywhere in everything and everyone...no one having a monopoly...
Can't have a monopoly on the language if everyone has a key...
Organized religion scares me silly for that reason and for what is lost in the translation of each soul to the mass marketing of doctrine...dogma is set in stone...Spirit is not just in us it is Us, who we are...and It flows as the universe does...

We leave what Eden represents to grow up and try to figure these things out for ourselves…munching on bits of knowledge we ingest here and there along the way…
I would not have anyone chew my food for me thank you very much...;)

Hope that made some sense...
Blessings

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook