hithrael
Since its been a while since this question has been batted around,

"What does Holistic Spirituality, or Spiritual but not Religious mean to you?"

~N
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 10:12AM #2
spiritalk
Holistic spirituality means our personal search for that inner knowing of spirit and all its attendant faculties.  Spirituality can be found within as well as without religion.  It does depend upon the seeker.  We are all seekers of truth.

God bless, J
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 5:24PM #3
religionfree
I love the idea of and practice of Holistic Spirituality.  It is truly freedom from the religious ties that bind...some people...not all people.

As one can tell from my on-line name, I live it.  :D

The Universal Source is my "G-d the Father / Mother", and I will never go back to religion again because of the wonderful freedom of spirit.

I am hoping that our Indigo People find us on these threads.
"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 2:36PM #4
Nightowl35
To me it means that one approaches all the existential and moral questions of life on their own terms ... without dictation by any religious dogma.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 11:47AM #5
GreenEyedLily
Maybe this is silly...but can someone kinda explain what holistic spirituality means?  I think I have an idea...but I like to make sure I am on the same page if you know what I mean?

If this is in the wrong spot just delete it! hehe

xxx
Lily:p
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 11:07AM #6
religionfree
[QUOTE=GreenEyedLily;6275]Maybe this is silly...but can someone kinda explain what holistic spirituality means?  I think I have an idea...but I like to make sure I am on the same page if you know what I mean?

If this is in the wrong spot just delete it! hehe

xxx
Lily:p[/QUOTE]

This IS the the right spot, Lily.  I like the way that Webster's defines Holism:  the view that an organic or integrated whole has an independent reality which cannot be understood simply through an understanding of its parts.

So, in my mind's eye, as a former Christian believer having attempted to immerse myself in the religious aspect, I never found my own personal spiritual truth until after I left religion. 

As individuals, we will not all / each experience the same.  Many religious believers are truly spiritual.  They have sought and found their own truth within. 

I have trouble understanding someone who becomes upset with an atheist.  Atheists have also found their truth within and are spiritually grounded, IMO.  They may not speak of G-d or the Universal Source, but their truth is firm.

I think of Holistic Spirituality as encompassing the ALL without attempting to dissect or take apart.  This does not mean, however, that I agree with religious teachings.  I don't.

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 8:19PM #7
GreenEyedLily
Thank you Religionfree!

LOL for the longest time I thought holistic meant healing dont ask why...cause I am not really sure!

I dont like the confines of religion either - I am nothing, yet I am everything...and although Atheists dont believe in anything that in itself is a belief isnt it?  I dont judge or critisize anyone for what they believe in (or dont believe in)...that is our right as humans to believe or not believe in whatever we choose.  If we all believed the same thing what a boring world we would live in! 

So, let me see if I understand this correctly...holistic spirituality is an acceptance of others beliefs - and almost like a neutral zone for everyone to meet at?  In a way and I dont mean physically meet I mean...a meeting of the minds - a place to discuss that which we find spiritual without having to justify why we believe what we do?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2007 - 5:41PM #8
religionfree
[QUOTE=GreenEyedLily;11332]Thank you Religionfree!

LOL for the longest time I thought holistic meant healing dont ask why...cause I am not really sure!

I dont like the confines of religion either - I am nothing, yet I am everything...and although Atheists dont believe in anything that in itself is a belief isnt it?  I dont judge or critisize anyone for what they believe in (or dont believe in)...that is our right as humans to believe or not believe in whatever we choose.  If we all believed the same thing what a boring world we would live in! 

So, let me see if I understand this correctly...holistic spirituality is an acceptance of others beliefs - and almost like a neutral zone for everyone to meet at?  In a way and I dont mean physically meet I mean...a meeting of the minds - a place to discuss that which we find spiritual without having to justify why we believe what we do?[/QUOTE]

Goodness, but I have had a hard time getting this reply to post.  Here goes.....

GEL, holistic healing methods are very much a part of our healing process.  I'm learning more and more about these all the time.

When I hear the word holistic, I think of the word whole.

Atheism IS a system of belief, but is void of all religion and spiritual association.  Atheists believe in a humanism, which, you are correct, is a belief.  Most of the writings of the current famous atheists are based upon great compassion for their human counterparts.  And, I have found many atheists to be extremely loving people.

I don't judge the believer for what they believe, but there are times when I judge the system of belief, such as some religions.  I don't have a whole lot of trust in ancient texts and what they put forth into some very vulnerable people. 

However, on the other hand, there exist many extremely spiritual people who are very devoted to their religion. 

You write that holistic spirituality is an acceptance of others beliefs.  The word acceptance, to me, means that in some way I become connected to their religion by accepting it.  For me, I would use the word tolerate to explain my own association with someone's religious beliefs.  I'm more comfortable with that.  That frees me.

I like the term neutral zone that you have used to describe a meeting or a place of association-with hearts, minds, spirits. 

No one should have to justify why they believe the way they do or don't.  I do, however, like to offer my beliefs when possible because it helps other people understand the reason(s) for my choices.  I don't billboard my beliefs.

I am amazed at how really spiritually free we each / all are in spirit.

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 10:11AM #9
deshunda3333
With Holistic Spirituality is there a certain way of faith practices to go by or to connect. Such as meditation. Is there use of candels, prayer, or anything like that? How can I find out more about Holistic Spirituality?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 4:35PM #10
religionfree
[QUOTE=deshunda3333;13682]With Holistic Spirituality is there a certain way of faith practices to go by or to connect. Such as meditation. Is there use of candels, prayer, or anything like that? How can I find out more about Holistic Spirituality?[/QUOTE]

There is NO certain way of doing anything. 

If you choose to attend church and read ancient texts, do that.

If you choose to meditate and/or attend church or not attend church, do that.

Many spiritually grounded people have set up a little alter in their homes with candles, pictures or anything that has deep meaning for YOU.

If you were, for example, to go into a public library and input spirituality as subject, the reading material is vast.

If you were, for example, to Google or Yahoo Amazon.com and input spirituality as subject, the information is vast.

Each individual is totally unique and must be true to their inner callings.  That which excites you and invites you and attracts you. 

Each individual seeks their own truth.

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook